Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Mac Tonight

Neither was I.

The good thing is Disney is giving me excellent reasons to do something else with the $1,000 I was giving them every year, not including money I spent on food and drinks and the occasional souvenir. I would love to visit the national parks and just travel more in general.
I just returned from an 11-day trip to Minnesota. Went fishing over the 4th on a lake where bald eagles were flying overhead.

I would encourage all of us, as feasibly as possible, to step away from these boards (and possibly even Disneyland) for a spell and gain some healthy insights from the rest of the world. It's very refreshing.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I just returned from an 11-day trip to Minnesota. Went fishing over the 4th on a lake where bald eagles were flying overhead.

I would encourage all of us, as feasibly as possible, to step away from these boards (and possibly even Disneyland) for a spell and gain some healthy insights from the rest of the world. It's very refreshing.

I would love to visit Minnesota. Your trip sounds like it was a lot of fun.

I’m currently in Naples, Italy, going back to Rome tomorrow before I fly out to Germany on Sunday. I was online more today because I stayed in due to a backache. This trip has been wonderful so far.

I agree, everyone should get out and see the real world. It’s fascinating.

Mac Tonight

I’m currently in Naples, Italy, going back to Rome tomorrow before I fly out to Germany on Sunday. I was online more today because I stayed in due to a backache. This trip has been wonderful so far.

Jealous of Italy! Being back at the daily grind is slow going.

SuddenStorm

I enjoy going through Scott Trowbridge and other folks in Imagineering quotes, just to see how different the SWGE he's been hyping is from what was built.

Let's select a few (courtesy of a different WDW news site :rolleyes:), emphasis added:

At the heart of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is this fundamental truth: We all have the power to be a hero, making choices that change the course of the galaxy. Whether you’re a lowly moisture farmer on some remote planet or an orphan sitting in a pile of dirt just trying to scrape by, every individual has the power to change the universe.” – Scott Trowbridge, Star Wars Portfolio Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering

“When you have a film, it’s a closed experience. You get to the end and it’s over. At Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, it’s about being expansive over time; it has a richness of discovery and the idea of possibility. That platform is filled with narrative and play, so guests will want to come back over and over – and have a variety of experiences.” – Carrie Beck, Vice President, Development, Lucasfilm

“I think grown men are going to cry. I think people are going to fall to their knees and start kissing the ground. All these things sound like an exaggeration, but I feel like it’s going to happen. There’s just so much anticipation and excitement for this. When we first started working on Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, I remember thinking: I want to walk into this land and be on the same level as everyone else – from the really hardcore Star Wars fan, to someone who knows nothing about Star Wars. I want to have that urgency to explore and to discover, and to run around every corner and to meet every single droid and alien in this land. I can’t wait to see that!” – Margaret Kerrison, Managing Story Editor, Walt Disney Imagineering

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge redefines what a Disney experience can be. It invites exploration and discovery, where we can become characters in the Star Wars galaxy. More and more, our guests want to lean into these stories; not just be a spectator. We’re giving them the opportunity to do just that in this land, with a new level of detail and immersion. This is an opportunity to play and engage with your friends and family in a shared experience that will forge lifelong memories.” – Scott Trowbridge, Star Wars Portfolio Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering

Their comments range from simply reiterating what Disneyland's been doing for 64 years, to borderline delusion. "Grown men will cry"- Yep, when they show up and realize they have to go to Tomorrowland to see Darth Vader. Or when they see the price of the lightsaber experience.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this groundbreaking interactive story driven land experiene WDI's been hyping for the last 4 years. What we got isn't that- and from what I've seen, there's really not much there to have it be that. I understand that ole' Bobby cut out some of the performers, but we have to judge on what was delivered, not what was promised. Otherwise, Tomorrowland '98 would have been a hit!

I especially feel sad for Margaret, who wanted to "run around every corner and to meet every single droid and alien in this land". Sadly, every droid she meets will be inanimate, and other than a shopkeeper or two, there won't be any aliens to meet. Except for Chewbacca.

Whether we defend the land or not, it's obvious that the product delivered was not what was advertised.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I enjoy going through Scott Trowbridge and other folks in Imagineering quotes, just to see how different the SWGE he's been hyping is from what was built.

Let's select a few (courtesy of a different WDW news site :rolleyes:), emphasis added:

At the heart of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is this fundamental truth: We all have the power to be a hero, making choices that change the course of the galaxy. Whether you’re a lowly moisture farmer on some remote planet or an orphan sitting in a pile of dirt just trying to scrape by, every individual has the power to change the universe.” – Scott Trowbridge, Star Wars Portfolio Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering

“When you have a film, it’s a closed experience. You get to the end and it’s over. At Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, it’s about being expansive over time; it has a richness of discovery and the idea of possibility. That platform is filled with narrative and play, so guests will want to come back over and over – and have a variety of experiences.” – Carrie Beck, Vice President, Development, Lucasfilm

“I think grown men are going to cry. I think people are going to fall to their knees and start kissing the ground. All these things sound like an exaggeration, but I feel like it’s going to happen. There’s just so much anticipation and excitement for this. When we first started working on Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, I remember thinking: I want to walk into this land and be on the same level as everyone else – from the really hardcore Star Wars fan, to someone who knows nothing about Star Wars. I want to have that urgency to explore and to discover, and to run around every corner and to meet every single droid and alien in this land. I can’t wait to see that!” – Margaret Kerrison, Managing Story Editor, Walt Disney Imagineering

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge redefines what a Disney experience can be. It invites exploration and discovery, where we can become characters in the Star Wars galaxy. More and more, our guests want to lean into these stories; not just be a spectator. We’re giving them the opportunity to do just that in this land, with a new level of detail and immersion. This is an opportunity to play and engage with your friends and family in a shared experience that will forge lifelong memories.” – Scott Trowbridge, Star Wars Portfolio Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering

Their comments range from simply reiterating what Disneyland's been doing for 64 years, to borderline delusion. "Grown men will cry"- Yep, when they show up and realize they have to go to Tomorrowland to see Darth Vader. Or when they see the price of the lightsaber experience.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this groundbreaking interactive story driven land experiene WDI's been hyping for the last 4 years. What we got isn't that- and from what I've seen, there's really not much there to have it be that. I understand that ole' Bobby cut out some of the performers, but we have to judge on what was delivered, not what was promised. Otherwise, Tomorrowland '98 would have been a hit!

I especially feel sad for Margaret, who wanted to "run around every corner and to meet every single droid and alien in this land". Sadly, every droid she meets will be inanimate, and other than a shopkeeper or two, there won't be any aliens to meet. Except for Chewbacca.

Whether we defend the land or not, it's obvious that the product delivered was not what was advertised.
All 3 of them sound like ducking tools.

SuddenStorm

All 3 of them sound like ducking tools.

This comment inspired me to do a bit more research into the quoted creatives. Each one (except for Trowbridge) has an incredibly mediocre resume, while each works for either WDI or Lucasfilm, neither has been involved in any meaningful projects.

According to this blog post, Margaret Kerrison has years of experience working museums, corporate branding, and other types of themed entertainment prior to accepting a job at Walt Disney Imagineering. And, her Linkedin highlights two specific projects she's done for Disney in her 4 years at WDI- Star Wars Launch Bay and Galaxy's Edge.

Carrie Beck has an impressive resume working for Lucasfilm, projects include Star Wars Rebels and Star Wars Resistance.
Scott Trowbridge's past projects at Universal are well known here, and are considered to be among the best done.

Sure, I'm cherry picking here. I've attached links with additional information. Honestly, it seems like they really picked from the middle of the barrel at Lucasfilm and WDI for these projects (except for, of course, Trowbridge. I would've hoped that the people designing and building Galaxy's Edge would have worked for Disney/Lucasfilm longer than 4-7 years.

Makes me wonder who the creative team was behind Pixar Pier 🤔

mickEblu

Sounds refreshing. I’m going to Sequoia National Park in August.

mickEblu

And everybody do it before you have kids!!

truecoat

Which lake were you at?

prberk

I agree with your overall assessment that it appears that what was delivered so far at Disneyland is underwhelming compared to these quoted expectations. I have to wonder, though, if they are more thinking about the larger experience that will be at WDW once the hotel is open, and not the mention the other ride that is not yet open.

And of course, the price will still make a grown man cry, but that is a whole different thing....

Last edited:

No Name

“At the heart of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is this fundamental truth: We all have the power to be a hero, making choices that change the course of the galaxy. Whether you’re a lowly moisture farmer on some remote planet or an orphan sitting in a pile of dirt just trying to scrape by, every individual has the power to change the universe.”

I’m going to just focus on this one because what he says is good. This, in my opinion, fits the spirit of the park and the spirit of Frontierland about as well as a Star Wars land could. However, he and his team deviated so far from the rest of the park in terms of aesthetics and acoustics that if the land fails to strongly set up and drive home the story, it really feels out of place. And comes across as dull, gloomy, lifeless, etc.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Me as I come across articles regarding the lackluster Galaxy’s Edge and its equally lackluster response, as well as people going back and forth on whether it’s a flop or not:

5EA39DE2-7CE7-4259-8372-445A10554957.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom