Haunted Mansion Christmas Overlay Dates?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I’m sorry I was not aware that HMH is not a tour through a haunted house, yes it’s decorated for Christmas, yes it has a lot of AAs that are cartoonish and don’t entirely match but nearly all of these are additions to the ride. The only subtractions are The Bride, Caretaker and dog, Hitchhikers, and grim grinning ghosts. In addition, the changing portraits are now NBC characters, the stretching gallery has different artwork and the busts are jack o lanterns which some consider a downgrade, but other then those 8 things everything else that is in normal HM is in HMH.
you are right, it is NOT a tour of a haunted house. It is vistors seeing how the characthers from the NBC have invaded the Haunted Mansion and changed it vastly inside. The overlay shares nothing with the original version than being in the same show building. That's where comparsions end. The actual story and theme and flow and atmosphere is totally different and frankly, not welcome. i cringe everytime i see all that goofy NBC crap all over the front of the mansion facade and the lawn because it is sooo tacky and goes against Walt's own decree for how the exterior should look.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
because it's what you said to excuse the overlay.

But where? Quote me on it. If you're talking about the 50 years thing, I meant it in the context of the OP had all this time plus since its introduction, the non-HMH time to see HM. And it may sound like excuses to you guys, but I like HMH so it's not from my perspective.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I
1. You've had almost 50 years now to see Haunted Mansion.
It's still been open for 50 years.
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! Your justification for the overlay is essentially "You know what, the mansion is over 50 years old. you have had plenty of times to ride it by now so what harm does a overlay for a few months cause??" that is pretty much your justifcation summed up. So allow me to retort, how many years does it take before it becomes wrong to add a overaly in your eyes? How man years Mcqueen?!!!! The thing you forget about in your arugment is that every day the sun rises over Disneyland, it is always someone's first visit. I would hate for my first visit ever to not include the Regular version of the Mansion. It is a crime for over a decade now we have not been able to ride the DISNEYLAND HAUNTED MANSION during Halloween in its normal show experience.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

This:

6859863050_2fff10133c_b.jpg

Replaced with this:

Bogeyman.png

It truly is a nightmare.

Californian Elitist

I’m sorry I was not aware that HMH is not a tour through a haunted house, yes it’s decorated for Christmas, yes it has a lot of AAs that are cartoonish and don’t entirely match but nearly all of these are additions to the ride. The only subtractions are The Bride, Caretaker and dog, Hitchhikers, and grim grinning ghosts. In addition, the changing portraits are now NBC characters, the stretching gallery has different artwork and the busts are jack o lanterns which some consider a downgrade, but other then those 8 things everything else that is in normal HM is in HMH.

Two different attractions.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! Your justification for the overlay is essentially "You know what, the mansion is over 50 years old. you have had plenty of times to ride it by now so what harm does a overlay for a few months cause??" that is pretty much your justifcation summed up. So allow me to retort, how many years does it take before it becomes wrong to add a overaly in your eyes? How man years Mcqueen?!!!! The thing you forget about in your arugment is that every day the sun rises over Disneyland, it is always someone's first visit. I would hate for my first visit ever to not include the Regular version of the Mansion. It is a crime for over a decade now we have not been able to ride the DISNEYLAND HAUNTED MANSION during Halloween in its normal show experience.

OP said he didn't want to go anymore, and that it was a punch to the gut. I was merely trying to hold his hand, pat it a few times and say "hey, it's alright.. it's not that bad. Go and have some fun, Disneyland is your land." Any other perceived message is simply coincidental.

But yeah it's been around for 50 years. OP has had 50 years to see it, he doesn't need to act like it's the end of the world because a temporary overlay takes place during the holidays (one that I happen to enjoy). You also don't need to act that way :p I also said I generally hate overlays. I can hate overlays but still like HMH.

AAAAND AND AND... WHAT ABOUT MISSION CHEAPOUT? All first timers, and myself, have to stare at that thing every visit. Unfortunately that's here to stay.

Last edited:

Phroobar

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! Your justification for the overlay is essentially "You know what, the mansion is over 50 years old. you have had plenty of times to ride it by now so what harm does a overlay for a few months cause??" that is pretty much your justification summed up. So allow me to retort, how many years does it take before it becomes wrong to add a overlay in your eyes? How man years Mcqueen?!!!! The thing you forget about in your argument is that every day the sun rises over Disneyland, it is always someone's first visit. I would hate for my first visit ever to not include the Regular version of the Mansion. It is a crime for over a decade now we have not been able to ride the DISNEYLAND HAUNTED MANSION during Halloween in its normal show experience.
Did you ever think they WANTED to see the overlay during their "first time" in the park as part of the Christmas offerings? If this Disney-virgin wanted to see Disneyland on a regular day, why would that person choose the holiday season? What's wrong with the rest of the year?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

OP said he didn't want to go anymore, and that it was a punch to the gut. I was merely trying to hold his hand, pat it a few times and say "hey, it's alright.. it's not that bad. Go and have some fun, Disneyland is your land." Any other perceived message is simply coincidental.

But yeah it's been around for 50 years. OP has had 50 years to see it, he doesn't need to act like it's the end of the world because a temporary overlay takes place during the holidays (one that I happen to enjoy). You also don't need to act that way :p I also said I generally hate overlays. I can hate overlays but still like HMH.

AAAAND AND AND... WHAT ABOUT MISSION CHEAPOUT? All first timers, and myself, have to stare at that thing every visit. Unfortunately that's here to stay.
Mission Break Out has nothing to do with the conversation. this is about the mansion and for the record i hate that too and wish it was TOT again. a temp overlay has no business being on the haunted mansion period. end of discussion. if you like HMH then you have no taste in quality attractions or respect for the original imagineers who designed and created it and put all their heart and soul into just to have a cheap overlay placed on it by some disney executive who thought " we need to have a NBC ride in the park but since its spooky lets put it in the spook house" which is horrible and flawed logic.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Did you ever think they WANTED to see the overlay during their "first time" in the park as part of the Christmas offerings? If this Disney-virgin wanted to see Disneyland on a regular day, why would that person choose the holiday season? What's wrong with the rest of the year?
No because no one wants to see HMH over the regular mansion and if they do, they don't deserve to ride the mansion in its regular version at all because they have no class or taste in quality attractions.

mikenatcity1

No because no one wants to see HMH over the regular mansion and if they do, they don't deserve to ride the mansion in its regular version at all because they have no class or taste in quality attractions.

When we first visited Disneyland during the holidays, this was an absolute must for us- we had seen the Mansion in Florida so many times, it was nice to see a variation of it.

That being said, we are there for D23 this year and are over the moon to see the Mansion before the overlay. In the last 10 years, we have seen it 2 times out of the dozens of trips we have made (we generally go September-December).

Professortango1

then jack and co should move out to their own attraction. They are the clippers of disneyland. move out to your own place already .

Why would they do that? They already have a perfect solution which delights guests every year. It would be a waste of money to create a new NBC attraction so many years after the film and it would also lead to the Mansion with sad wait times for Halloween and Christmas.

Haunted Mansion is a wonderfully classic attraction, but it is dated and doesn't attract crowds the way it used to. HMH is a little garish, but it works incredibly well and park guests love it for those few months. Many guests ONLY ride HM when Jack is in town. I know I personally prefer the HMH version a tiny percentage more just because of the improved pacing and energy in the narration and musical score.

Sharon&Susan

That must be why they turn on the fast pass machines for the HMH so they can handle that massive crowd of nobodies that show up for it each year.
They stopped doing that a few years ago, now fastpass distribution is open even when it’s the regular version of the Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom