Haunted Mansion Christmas Overlay Dates?

But the narration and soundtrack add so much energy and a sinister feel. It makes you realize how much Mansion needs an update. I'd love to have them utilize the musical scoring they used for Remember fireworks.

I hope they never change the music of the haunted mansion, or any classic disney ride. That is exactly why I despise the holiday overlay, the music completely changes the atmosphere of the ride, and ruins it to me.

Sundown

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, all.

I was planning on doing my first trip to Disneyland in October. But now, after realizing the NBX overlay will be on...and will run into early January 2020...I don't have the same desire/excitement to go. And it's a bummer honestly.

I love the Haunted Mansion, and wanted my first trip to Disneyland to be one in which I experience all the original rides in their original format. I wanted to then be able to compare them to Disney World, which I've visited plenty of times. This was going to be a fun focus of my trip.

So now I may have to target a month next year, if I end up going at all. What a gut-punch.

Touchdown

Don’t let all the haters get you down, NBC HM is very well done but it’s still HM. The biggest differences from FL to DL (walking into the front door, experiencing the floor drop in the stretching room, walking through the portrait gallery, Hatbox Ghost) are there in both versions. My first trip was during Halloween, and I’m a big HM fan. I throughly enjoyed it, quite frankly outside of HBG, I feel WDW HM is better (it’s longer, and the Escher staircase and wallpaper appearing are so well done.). Halloween is a great time to visit the resort and you shouldn’t change your trip.

Anjin

The only change I want to the Haunted Mansion is a set of new singing busts, fully audio animatronic. The current ones are not convincing. Only good use of that projection technology is Madame Leota which is still incredibly impressive.
I'd sooner replace the bride than the singing busts. What a nightmare that thing is. Who thought projection mapping her hands and weapons moving on her body was a good idea?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Don’t let all the haters get you down, NBC HM is very well done but it’s still HM. The biggest differences from FL to DL (walking into the front door, experiencing the floor drop in the stretching room, walking through the portrait gallery, Hatbox Ghost) are there in both versions. My first trip was during Halloween, and I’m a big HM fan. I throughly enjoyed it, quite frankly outside of HBG, I feel WDW HM is better (it’s longer, and the Escher staircase and wallpaper appearing are so well done.). Halloween is a great time to visit the resort and you shouldn’t change your trip.
NO!!!! HMH IS NOTHING LIKE THE REGULAR VERSION OF THE RIDE IN STORY, LIGHTING, THEME, EXECUTION AND MUSIC. HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Phroobar

I'd like it too if it wasn't done so poorly. Instead it's presented like a "throw it against the wall, see what sticks" overlay. It's just a bit TOO much! You can have a zany, over-the-top overlay and still keep the charm of the mansion. The imagineers didn't do that!

It's supposed to be "Haunted Mansion Holiday" NOT "Jack and Sally's Haunted House". Finding that distinction would make for a better overlay, IMO.
IIRC, it wasn't the imagineers that created it but Disneyland's entertainment department. It's also been there a long time so it isn't just thrown at the wall last minute.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
IIRC, it wasn't the imagineers that created it but Disneyland's entertainment department. It's also been there a long time so it isn't just thrown at the wall last minute.

It's like a tumor that just keeps growing. The initial concept was fine but year after year it becomes more garish and cluttered as Imagineering piles on more Jack and Sally stuff. I just don't like it. But, to each their own.

Touchdown

I’m sorry I was not aware that HMH is not a tour through a haunted house, yes it’s decorated for Christmas, yes it has a lot of AAs that are cartoonish and don’t entirely match but nearly all of these are additions to the ride. The only subtractions are The Bride, Caretaker and dog, Hitchhikers, and grim grinning ghosts. In addition, the changing portraits are now NBC characters, the stretching gallery has different artwork and the busts are jack o lanterns which some consider a downgrade, but other then those 8 things everything else that is in normal HM is in HMH.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Thanks for the replies, all.

I was planning on doing my first trip to Disneyland in October. But now, after realizing the NBX overlay will be on...and will run into early January 2020...I don't have the same desire/excitement to go. And it's a bummer honestly.

I love the Haunted Mansion, and wanted my first trip to Disneyland to be one in which I experience all the original rides in their original format. I wanted to then be able to compare them to Disney World, which I've visited plenty of times. This was going to be a fun focus of my trip.

So now I may have to target a month next year, if I end up going at all. What a gut-punch.

I strongly encourage you to reconsider. I mean I fully understand your decision not to go based on Haunted Mansion's unavailability - It's your hard-earned money and you deserve to see it. Personally I only went to WDW to see ToT, but had a great time overall with everything else. That being said i'd like to share with you why I disagree with your decision not to go.

1. You've had almost 50 years now to see Haunted Mansion. Not sure what the gut-punch is coming from, but hey everyone's different. It's not like HM is going away permanently any time soon (although under Chapek, who knows).
2. HMH is not a bad attraction. I love it, and i'd be the first to tell you that I generally hate overlays. In fact most people don't dislike it, they're just turned off by its length of stay.
3. Disneyland is becoming a re-skin / overlay paradise. I can't begin to tell you how much I wish Space Mountain would return, SoC would be permanent, MV3D would return.. but if I go before any of that, I would make due and still have fun. Disneyland is about a lot more than one favorite attraction. As someone who despises Mission Cheapout's takeover, trust me on that.
4. HM in California is a Walt original and a legend. Nothing can come close. But if you've seen HM at WDW, you've pretty much seen all of the show-scenes in CA's version.

freebird72

This message just appeared on DL's page for the Haunted Mansion (YAY! It will be open for part of our trip, and almost all of yours too, @freebird72.) What a stroke of luck!

On August 26, 2019, the Haunted Mansion will close to begin its transformation by Jack Skellington into Haunted Mansion Holiday, which opens September 6 as part of Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort. The classic Haunted Mansion is scheduled to reopen in early 2020.

Oh that's AWESOME! I'm so glad it will be open!! It was closed during our August trip last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom