News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Darkbeer1

What to say (and what not to say)...

No secret, so I will mention it here, last night at a city leader's conference, I was sitting at the same table as Clark, Vice President, Revenue Management, Analytics & Special Events Strategy (Disneyland) at The Walt Disney Company.

Now as to what we talked about, well, he is Chairman of Visit Anaheim also, so you can guess it wasn't all DL stuff.

Alas, I won't be talking about what he said at our 6 seater table.

I have seen a few good comments, something about an outside vendor, well, we are talking about ride tracks......

And as for the timing of attraction openings, a lot of it has to do to things other than when the fiscal aspects of the ride is ready to open. Marketing, Media availability windows, competing with other nearby venues, etc. January 17th is the Friday of MLK, Jr. Holiday weekend. It also happens to be the weekend for the NAMM Show, the largest Convention on the West Coast (115,000 attendees plus families and friends). Since International media is already in town....

Now, will soft openings happen? Of course, ride announced dates, especially months in advance does have a built in window in case something goes wrong, so if things go smoothly, Disney will have opportunities to offer say AP Previews, special ticketed events, etc. And if needed, can be cancelled on short notice.

Things happen for a reason, but usually multiple reasons.

Should be interesting to see the mid-January Room Rates in the Anaheim area.

Rich Brownn

I have to say I am let down by this. I bought a pass in June so I could ride this one with the expectation of the fall opening (that Disney themselves said) being honest. I will still be able to go on it for a decent amount of time, but having the opening of the major ride 9 months after the land opened is a bit of a letdown.

This post of them mocking a tourist that will miss RotR for Disney opening their ride incredibly late (and without advance notice) is insulting to paying customers who spend a lot of time and money trying to plan their trip.
I see DL losing 6 months of AP renewals as they wait for January

Darkbeer1

I see DL losing 6 months of AP renewals as they wait for January

Well, for SoCal AP's, if you don't renew, you can't get a new one 6 months from now.... But you could get a Flex Pass.

I don't think you will see too much impact on AP renewals.

Now, as for new AP's, those folks might wait.

TP2000

I should add, between MLK Jr. weekend and NAMM, there will be very good attendance at Disneyland that weekend, regardless if RotR opens. Pretty much a great way to start the official opening....

Oh my God, you're right. That's both Reverend King's holiday weekend and NAMM from January 16th to 19th.

Last year the NAMM convention attracted 115,000 attendees to the Anaheim Convention Center, the largest convention center on the West Coast.

So they'll try and open the Resistance ride that weekend too? What could go wrong with that?!

captveg

Oh my God, you're right. That's both Reverend King's holiday weekend and NAMM from January 16th to 19th.

Last year the NAMM convention attracted 115,000 attendees to the Anaheim Convention Center, the largest convention center on the West Coast.

So they'll try and open the Resistance ride that weekend too? What could go wrong with that?!

I think they'll gladly take some "It was a 9-hour line!" type headlines to counter the "It's so dead at DL!" headlines right now. They WANT it to be a crowd control nightmare to be perceived as a smash hit.

What Disney learned this summer is to never again plan too well for large crowds.

drod1985

I attended NAMM this year. I’m a WDW semi-local and I was on a tight budget, so I had no intention of going to DL. But then I got a ticket for 50% off, so I caved.

Waits were between 15 and 45 minutes, with only Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Indy reaching that peak. Overall I was surprised how empty the park felt even though it also felt so much smaller.

Anecdotal evidence, sure...but maybe NAMM won’t make as big an impact?

Darkbeer1

I attended NAMM this year. I’m a WDW semi-local and I was on a tight budget, so I had no intention of going to DL. But then I got a ticket for 50% off, so I caved.

Waits were between 15 and 45 minutes, with only Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Indy reaching that peak. Overall I was surprised how empty the park felt even though it also felt so much smaller.

Anecdotal evidence, sure...but maybe NAMM won’t make as big an impact?

I can tell you the majority of NAMM Attendees don't go to the DLR during the actual event. BUT many do before or after. Plus since their family/friends don't get to attend NAMM in many cases, those folks do opt to visit the tourist orientated locations, such As Disneyland, Knott's, the Beach, etc.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I subscribe to the theory that ‘something’ happened to the DL attraction.

Following construction progress: Rise was actually one of the elements that looked MORE behind at DHS (4-6 months), despite much of the rest of the land running 3.5 months behind and the village occasionally looking ahead.

I agree that it was smart they announced this before D23. There was definitely false hope it would be soft opened during D23, especially when the attraction is overtly finished on the exterior.

Darkbeer1

I agree that it was smart they announced this before D23. There was definitely false hope it would be soft opened during D23, especially when the attraction is overtly finished on the exterior.

I remember seeing that rumor and laughed, and I think I mentioned something but don't expect it to happen.....

Spike-in-Berlin

You are right until the very end. They messed up the advertising and their projections and generally the hearsay was to stay away and avoid the opening frame.

However, choosing to base the land on the newest trilogy did NOT make Disneyland as a whole suddenly less popular than it was before. All of Disneyland is down, not just an issue of crowds not increasing as much as projected for this project.

People aren't avoiding Disneyland now because you can't see a CM dressed as Luke Skywalker and ride a speeder bike coaster.

Excuse me but are you a Star Wars fan yourself? And I don’t mean do you like the movies, I mean do you consider yourself a part of the SW fandom? If the answer is NO you obviously don‘t know what you are talking about and if the answer is yes you must be a fan of the sequels and this means you are a part of a small minority in the fandom because the majority hates the sequels. In both cases however you definitely don‘t unterstand the difference between EMPIRE and First Order and between REBEL ALLIANCE and Resistance for the guests who are meant to visit GE. It is a HUGE difference.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Excuse me but are you a Star Wars fan yourself? And I don’t mean do you like the movies, I mean do you consider yourself a part of the SW fandom? If the answer is NO you obviously don‘t know what you are talking about and if the answer is yes you must be a fan of the sequels and this means you are a part of a small minority in the fandom because the majority hates the sequels. In both cases however you definitely don‘t unterstand the difference between EMPIRE and First Order and between REBEL ALLIANCE and Resistance for the guests who are meant to visit GE. It is a HUGE difference.

I actually have never seen one of those Space Wars movies. You got me :oops:

Fandom ruined Star Wars. I’m glad to know I don’t know what I talk about unless I agree with your opinion.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

No true Scotsman.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom