News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

GlacierGlacier

The only issue I have right now with Tron is the sightlines. And even then, only one case: Fantasyland.

Standing beside Pinnochio's gives you a wonderful view of the peak of the coaster in the showbuilding, that initial block-break after the outdoor portion. It's going to be even more... impressive... once it has the full canopy on it.

HoldenC

It's just that there are so many things about this project that make no sense or just seem wrong. The things that do make sense about it just seem meh... to me. That's all. I just don't see it as being all that creative. Just my feelings.
I agree tbh. I'm not excited at all about this "coaster". I hope to be proved wrong, though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Really? How bad is it going to be? I thought the canopy would cover most of the show building?
Think of the quintessential view of Space Mountain from Seven Seas. I’m at work at the mo so can’t post a photo.

Hopefully the canopy - for better or for worse - will mask most of the show building from the Tomorrowland concourse although it won’t cover it. That’s without the issue of the entrance being off to the side as opposed to being able to enter via the main viewpoint, the main weenie as originally envisaged.

wdwjmp239

Wow. Just wow. Some of the negativity about a new ride (which MK hasn't seen in years...other than the mine train ride) is quite surprising. I have never ridden Tron before, but based on some of the YouTube video footage out there, it looks like a cool roller coaster ride (and this is coming from the guy who "hates" roller coasters - it's just the ones that have loops and toss you upside down is what I have a problem with....but anyways). For those who are worried about "sight lines" (personal opinion: "Who cares?") and worried about how it's going to "ruin" the view from atop Splash Mountain (personal opinion: "Are you really at the top of Splash Mountain for that long to enjoy the "view"?), here's a thought....just go to the park and have a good time. While sight lines and all that is interesting, I'm not going to MK with my family and worry about every little detail that might be out of place. I'm pretty sure Disney knows what they're doing. Think about this - MK has been around for 50 years - you would think that Disney knows a little "something something" to keep the magic going for another 50. ;):)

rle4lunch

The only issue I have right now with Tron is the sightlines. And even then, only one case: Fantasyland.

Standing beside Pinnochio's gives you a wonderful view of the peak of the coaster in the showbuilding, that initial block-break after the outdoor portion. It's going to be even more... impressive... once it has the full canopy on it.

I would say the same thing sorta about inside Fantasyland. Stand in the middle, look to your right, beautiful new immersive experience. Look to your left, a ghetto of plywood signs and cheap facades that look like crap. (looking at you IASW, PP and Philharmagic)

Mike730

Wow. Just wow. Some of the negativity about a new ride (which MK hasn't seen in years...other than the mine train ride) is quite surprising. I have never ridden Tron before, but based on some of the YouTube video footage out there, it looks like a cool roller coaster ride (and this is coming from the guy who "hates" roller coasters - it's just the ones that have loops and toss you upside down is what I have a problem with....but anyways). For those who are worried about "sight lines" (personal opinion: "Who cares?") and worried about how it's going to "ruin" the view from atop Splash Mountain (personal opinion: "Are you really at the top of Splash Mountain for that long to enjoy the "view"?), here's a thought....just go to the park and have a good time. While sight lines and all that is interesting, I'm not going to MK with my family and worry about every little detail that might be out of place. I'm pretty sure Disney knows what they're doing. Think about this - MK has been around for 50 years - you would think that Disney knows a little "something something" to keep the magic going for another 50. ;):)

Hey there! Looks like you don't share all the same reasons for loving the parks that we do, and that's ok. I certainly don't like being talked down to so blatantly, but I sure don't have a problem with differing opinions.

To us, the "sightlines and all that" are part of what make Disney different. If you're going to ignore the things that have set them apart from everyone else for the past 50 years, the things that have been so meticulously tended to and planned out, then you certainly don't need to be paying the Disney premium.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Sight lines are typically not something that bothers me a lot unless I am staring at an unthemed show building (looking at you GotG) or if it is something that is just super intrusive. Heck, in DL you can see the Matterhorn from everywhere but at least it is themed. If the sight lines in and around MK are ruined by a Tron unthemed show building/box, it will definitely be unpleasant. We will see....

yensidtlaw1969

Which is why it's annoying that after 50 years of Disney keeping sightlines at MK largely intact they now are willing to accept a massive, undisguised warehouse on the edge of the park.

There was a time it was expected that THEY would worry about the out of place details so they could remove them before guests encountered them.

Why now are we expected to simply ignore them when the very premise of their business is creating a rich and cohesive experience unencumbered by the intrusion of details that break the illusion?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Which is why it's annoying that after 50 years of Disney keeping sightlines at MK largely intact they now are willing to accept a massive, undisguised warehouse on the edge of the park.

There was a time it was expected that THEY would worry about the out of place details so they could remove them before guests encountered them.

Why now are we expected to simply ignore them when the very premise of their business is creating a rich and cohesive experience unencumbered by the intrusion of details that break the illusion?

That's covered by the TDO Motto (also found in my signature): "They're tourists, whadda they know?"

The lower they aim, the more money they make.

jt04

Think of the quintessential view of Space Mountain from Seven Seas. I’m at work at the mo so can’t post a photo.

Hopefully the canopy - for better or for worse - will mask most of the show building from the Tomorrowland concourse although it won’t cover it. That’s without the issue of the entrance being off to the side as opposed to being able to enter via the main viewpoint, the main weenie as originally envisaged.

Pretty sure people won't settle for an obvious show building being visible within the MK. I know they went the extra mile when they realized part of the mermaid show building would be visible. So if they can't mask it with the canopy, they can at least add theming or Tron-esque paint designs.

The MK should be held to a higher standard than any other park at wdw IMO.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Pretty sure people won't settle for an obvious show building being visible within the MK. I know they went the extra mile when they realized part of the mermaid show building would be visible. So if they can't mask it with the canopy, they can at least add theming or Tron-esque paint designs.

The MK should be held to a higher standard than any other park at wdw IMO.
Give it time. The trees on the berm will grow back.

Bocabear

There is no berm blocking the view...and the height of the building would not allow it to be masked unless you had a 40' tall berm planted with very tall trees. Good thing though it is at least at the back of the park...Bad thing is when you look at Space Mountain you will now always see a box next to it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom