Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

GingerGirl3

I don’t understand leaving kids out of the equation. If you own the franchise and want to keep it going you need to hook kids the way the originals did. There’s a reason my brother had a SW birthday party and the toys but my kids have zero interest in any of it. My kids loved doing the Jedi Training...now it’s gone. My son loved the M&G and Vader was so much fun. My daughter is all about princesses and has no interest in anything dark and refused to meet him and was nervous about the Stormtroopers roaming around on the way to the Jedi Training. They got so into fighting and defeating the bad guys. There’s nothing like that in GE which makes no sense. Sure in Jedi Training they were fighting their “fears” and not the real bad guys...but you could still walk over and meet them. No one complained that you couldn’t meet Vader ‘cause he was dead. GE seems so soulless and there’s nothing there for families. Even if you wanted to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a lightsaber a family of 4 cannot even do it together. At Universal we bought the expensive wand but the kids could share it and had fun together. I don’t get the cantina not having fun kid drinks and appetizers. I don’t understand how they missed the mark so badly. My modern kids still love HM and PotC because they are fun and imaginative but there’s nothing that impresses about GE or that sounds like it’s going to have any staying power. There’s no way their kids will be seeing this version of GE unlike the classics rides that have lasted.

No Name

You all should’ve claimed you’re boycotting Disneyland because of SWL, and since crowds are lower than usual, you’d be able to claim the boycott is working! Woohoo!

Worked for the Kaepernick haters...

magicallactose

I don’t understand leaving kids out of the equation. If you own the franchise and want to keep it going you need to hook kids the way the originals did. There’s a reason my brother had a SW birthday party and the toys but my kids have zero interest in any of it. My kids loved doing the Jedi Training...now it’s gone. My son loved the M&G and Vader was so much fun. My daughter is all about princesses and has no interest in anything dark and refused to meet him and was nervous about the Stormtroopers roaming around on the way to the Jedi Training. They got so into fighting and defeating the bad guys. There’s nothing like that in GE which makes no sense. Sure in Jedi Training they were fighting their “fears” and not the real bad guys...but you could still walk over and meet them. No one complained that you couldn’t meet Vader ‘cause he was dead. GE seems so soulless and there’s nothing there for families. Even if you wanted to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a lightsaber a family of 4 cannot even do it together. At Universal we bought the expensive wand but the kids could share it and had fun together. I don’t get the cantina not having fun kid drinks and appetizers. I don’t understand how they missed the mark so badly. My modern kids still love HM and PotC because they are fun and imaginative but there’s nothing that impresses about GE or that sounds like it’s going to have any staying power. There’s no way their kids will be seeing this version of GE unlike the classics rides that have lasted.

Agreed! I like how in Islands of Adventure, you can experience the fun theatrical 'show' of seeing someone have a wand chosen for them at Ollivander's, but you don't even need to buy anything. The great thing about that little 'show' is that it really does make guests feel they are getting a special experience and it's great for business because it makes all the spectators really want to buy a wand too. I'm surprised they didn't do something similar with the light sabre shop here. Why not have a little training 'show' with special effects that one kid gets to experience but everyone can watch?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Me watching all of this Galaxy’s Edge crap go down...

C3DD7403-FF64-4F2C-9E60-DEE0CAABDEB2.jpeg

Mac Tonight

I wonder how much of this is cause of my predetermined bias, but I feel like many of the concerns raised on the forums by everyone over the last few years have come to fruition. We literally called it.

"Disney's Wizarding World not, this is."- Yoda
Star Wars Land is quickly shaping up to be the theme park equivalent of Solo: A Star Wars Story. Everyone is now looking to RotR (or Rise of Skywalker) to right the ship(s).

Rich T

Star Wars Land is quickly shaping up to be the theme park equivalent of Solo: A Star Wars Story. Everyone is now looking to RotR (or Rise of Skywalker) to right the ship(s).
Yes, a big dark, gloomy ride about the (yawn) First Order and the (Yawn) Ressssistanzzzzzzzzz will really bring some pep and color and lightness to the land. Sorry. Trying to be positive... Galaxy's Edge is a big expensive thing! That got built!

Mac Tonight

Yes, a big dark, gloomy ride about the (yawn) First Order and the (Yawn) Ressssistanzzzzzzzzz will really bring some pep and color and lightness to the land. Sorry. Trying to be positive... Galaxy's Edge is a big expensive thing! That got built!
Hey, at least you're trying ;)

Curious Constance

I wonder how much of this is cause of my predetermined bias, but I feel like many of the concerns raised on the forums by everyone over the last few years have come to fruition. We literally called it.

"Disney's Wizarding World not, this is."- Yoda
Dude, we so called it. I literally haven't stopped strutting all summer. I'm George Jeffersoning all over the place.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Yep. After seeing what they did to Tower, Pixar Pier, and just Disneyland in general, I wasn't optimistic about this project.

Neither was I.

The good thing is Disney is giving me excellent reasons to do something else with the $1,000 I was giving them every year, not including money I spent on food and drinks and the occasional souvenir. I would love to visit the national parks and just travel more in general.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom