News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Artificial grass is used for where there will be high-use such as where in the MK Hub, there are the reserved viewing areas. Those patches are very small in comparison to the rest of the hub and all the other grass and landscaping one sees is real, yet people can't help claim how all the grass is now artificial. The same here. The artificial grass is just one section for outdoor events. Everywhere else one sees green... acres and acres of green... is all real.

But one patio of artificial grass is enough to condemn the whole endeavor, certainly.

🙄

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wow, If that is true, then it is an epic fail because the spaces I have seen evoke neither... Maybe a tiny bit of a nod to Gaurdi, but do not see the Dali influence at all. The concept art had a completely different color scheme and felt a little more Gaudi than the actual finished product...
You should watch this, then.

peter11435

Wow, If that is true, then it is an epic fail because the spaces I have seen evoke neither... Maybe a tiny bit of a nod to Gaurdi, but do not see the Dali influence at all. The concept art had a completely different color scheme and felt a little more Gaudi than the actual finished product...
I’m not really sure where you are seeing a completely different color scheme

lentesta

Premium Member
A reader who travels a lot, and who's seen the Gran Destino, sent me an image of the JW Marriott in San Antonio. I present a side-by-side comparison, without comment.

Missing20K

Missing20K

Actually there is a little design motif in the lamps and the lounge screens that is like the bell in tower portion of Destino....
Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment are easy to swap and add "theme" but doing so does not make it seem as though the Destino inspiration was there from the beginning design phases. Otherwise, to use the bell tower in the film example, they could have designed a bell tower motif into the actual architecture. That would have indicated a much more deliberate design intent to tie the resort and film together.

Bocabear

Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment are easy to swap and add "theme" but doing so does not make it seem as though the Destino inspiration was there from the beginning design phases. Otherwise, to use the bell tower in the film example, they could have designed a bell tower motif into the actual architecture. That would have indicated a much more deliberate design intent to tie the resort and film together.
I would agree with you wholeheartedly... and while the hotel looks beautiful it could have gone farther... The idea of Disney Resorts was to be immersed in theme... The original resorts were exactly that for the time period they were built... The world has changed since then, and we are bombarded with thematic architecture in our daily lives...
Disney architecture should have been getting more immersive all along, not backing away from theme and embracing the Marriott Hotel school of architecture...
That said, the tower is very nice... Just could have gone further and been more unique... Especially the exterior.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's possible that Disney wanted to give convention-goers a layout they're familiar with. Nothing wrong with that as a goal.

The layout of this space is definitely similar in my eyes (and I imagine many properties have a similar space)...but outside of that...🤷‍♂️ Also, JW Marriott is a luxury brand so I don't think Disney should be ashamed that one of their hotels has a lobby area that shares a similar layout with a JW property.

note2001

My only complaint is really the lattice work on the exterior. I think Disney imagineering could have come up with a similar design but with better effect upon being lit up at night. Maybe they could improve it in an upgrade that makes it more flowing and allows the design to cascade more naturally over the length of the resort. Carefully crafted stucco on the building could have achieved a similar effect and allowed for more creativity to bring it alive.

If their intent was to bring Dali like design into the space, which I don't think it was, then they know they failed. Dali's designs seem to be more natural than structural and there's always an outstanding element that makes the viewer say "that's odd"... but still they were beautiful. Here, the entire exterior structure is very rigid and mathematical in nature, not natural. That lattice work is their opportunity to give it the flowing Dali influence, yet it too comes across as mechanical ... and yet, Disney claims the inspiration for the resort was the film collaboration between Dali and Disney. I see images here and there, and a desk lamp... other than that I'm not seeing it at all.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom