Disney World Low Attendance Paradox

jloucks

Help me try to correlate the two.

Disney is suffering very low attendance right now and offering deep discounts because it is believed that people are putting off their trips ahead of SWGE.

Yet, Disney may be realizing that SWGE attendance is going to be very soft and is rumored to be introducing some form of discounts soon just to be able to maintain crowd levels.

SWGE should be a home run, but there seems to be growing concern (panic?) that it isn’t going to be, at least initially.

If Disney is having trouble filling the parks now because of anticipation of SWGE, but also is predicting that it will have trouble filling the parks once SWGE is open, clearly the first supposition is wrong. Meaning there are other factors at play creating this paradox beyond SWGE.

I like the sound of "very low attendance". Sounds like a great time to book my first trip in years. I care far less about SWGE than I do crowds, so you are selling it pretty darn well. Assuming "very low" is accurate.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
There is as much evidence that that is just rumor started by people with an ax to grind as actuality.

Why have they ever? Why would they have ever introduced PIN codes? Why would they have ever introduce AP discounts? Why would they have ever offered free dining promotions? And so on. Trying to draw any new conclusions from the offering of discounts or promotions, when this is something Disney has been doing forever, is irrational.

There is no evidence of that. The only relevant evidence we have is that Disney wants profits.

Objective crowd trackers have indicated a noticeable slowness. Our objective TAs have warned that there is considerable slowness in booking for the fall. Our trusted insiders have commented that there is growing concern at the corporate level. Our CM sources have indicated staffing cuts and rollbacks.

To say that this is all the result of people with an axe to grind is just plain silly. Your comments do not reflect the reality of the situation unfolding.

BoarderPhreak

Just what I've noticed; attendance is down on both coasts like @marni1971 said. You can see it in the pictures posted everywhere; some particularly stand out. Just a few days ago, WDW looked like a ghost town. Though I attributed that to post-July 4th vacation. What's curious is that even with SWGE open, Disneyland is at low attendance. Something's definitely up (or down, as the case may be).

Wonder if Disney finally priced themselves into a hole... 🤣

Animaniac93-98

Even if high prices were the #1 concern of customers, Disney is far too proud to simply lower them across the board.

That would be a sign of admitting defeat, and every think piece, opinion column and 3rd rate financial analyst would be going on about how "Disney killed its business" and asking questions the Bobs have no interest in answering (at least on camera). Universal would also be laughing at them while continuing to charge $175/day to visit both Harry Potter lands.

So now they're in a position where they either lower prices to bring back the crowds, but risk scrutiny, or keep them relatively flat and hope that the crowds come back or at least stay somewhat high.

And it's all their fault for thinking that they could get away with constantly raising prices forever. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Disstevefan1

Just what I've noticed; attendance is down on both coasts like @marni1971 said. You can see it in the pictures posted everywhere; some particularly stand out. Just a few days ago, WDW looked like a ghost town. Though I attributed that to post-July 4th vacation. What's curious is that even with SWGE open, Disneyland is at low attendance. Something's definitely up (or down, as the case may be).

Time will tell. My guesses are:
1. There will be less APs sold and/or renewed due to the sharp overnight 25% increase in price
2. Many folks are waiting for Rise of the Resistance to open before they visit.
3. Many folks may be waiting for the WDW 50th celebration to start before they visit.
4. There my be another sharp ticket price increase for all tickets after Rise of the Resistance opens.

John park hopper

Even if high prices were the #1 concern of customers, Disney is far too proud to simply lower them across the board.

That would be a sign of admitting defeat, and every think piece, opinion column and 3rd rate financial analyst would be going on about how "Disney killed its business" and asking questions the Bobs have no interest in answering (at least on camera). Universal would also be laughing at them while continuing to charge $175/day to visit both Harry Potter lands.

So now they're in a position where they either lower prices to bring back the crowds, but risk scrutiny, or keep them relatively flat and hope that the crowds come back or at least stay somewhat high.

And it's all their fault for thinking that they could get away with constantly raising prices forever. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Has Disney finally hit the price wall for many guests?

Raineman

Even if this is indeed the starting point of a decline in attendance due to the affordability factor for some guests, I don't think we will see an immediate knee-jerk reaction from Disney in the form of lowered guest costs across the board. If the attendance trend we are seeing now is based on cost vs value for park guests, it would most likely be a repeating issue going forward, ie attendance is low, Disney drops prices and some/all guests start to return to the parks; then once attendance reaches pre-price drop levels and Disney decides "hey, let's jack the prices up again!", the guests who left before because of cost will leave again, and most likely for good. Once the costs of a Disney resort vacation go down, they could never be able to come back up without major consequences, IMO.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
Even if this is indeed the starting point of a decline in attendance due to the affordability factor for some guests, I don't think we will see an immediate knee-jerk reaction from Disney in the form of lowered guest costs across the board. If the attendance trend we are seeing now is based on cost vs value for park guests, it would most likely be a repeating issue going forward, ie attendance is low, Disney drops prices and some/all guests start to return to the parks; then once attendance reaches pre-price drop levels and Disney decides "hey, let's jack the prices up again!", the guests who left before because of cost will leave again, and most likely for good. Once the costs of a Disney resort vacation go down, they could never be able to come back up without major consequences, IMO.

Disney’s response will probably be a tepid minor discount or promotion. They can’t do a standard fall discount because doing so means there is a problem. Doing this will not be enough to attract people concerned the cost of visiting, and probably not do much to help the situation developing.

cosmicgirl

Every time I hear this as a justification for the price increases, I chuckle.

If this is the case, why the serious concern about decreasing attendance trickling out from Orlando and Anaheim? Why would Disney provide any discounts or promotions at all? If everyone paid rack rate and there was no free dining or ticket promotions, guest spending would certainly increase and crowds would thin right?

No matter what spin is put on having higher prices and lower attendance, Disney wants the parks jammed packed all the time. Empty parks are bad business. SWGE in DLR is a perfect example of them raising prices, restricting access and having empty parks as a result, and now they're going crazy over it.
I never said their intent is to thin the crowds and I'm certainly not trying to justify price increases. I believe they're trying to maximize profit, nothing more, nothing less. If they can get more $ despite lower attendance then so be it. Although I'm sure they'd find ways to target more price-sensitive markets to fill up the hole and get even more $.

The delicate art of revenue management is finding the right balance between:

1. estimating demand at different price levels;
2. maximizing what people are willing to pay; and
3. still getting a full park/plane/hotel.

In Disney's case I believe they may have overstimated 1 and 2 with both admission and resort prices, causing them to struggle to find the right balance with 3. Furthermore, we're only seeing reports of decreased attendance but we don't know what the effects on the bottom line are. Is revenue down? Possibly, but none of us can make that call. Despite missing the mark with point 3 they may still be doing better financially, though not as well as they could be doing because the parks and resorts aren't full.

The promotions you mentioned are an example of market segmentation: some people will book at rack rate and never look back (group A), some will book at rack rate but will adjust their plans to get a discount (group B), and others will only book if there's a discount (group C). Similarly they offer different promotions to different countries.

I think they're currently testing how far they can go with groups A and B, and at which point group C will crack and buy anyway, or walk off. Except they may have overdone it this time and too many of group C may have walked off. If revenue is truly down significantly they'll find ways to lure them back in without jeopardizing what A and B have committed to spend. It wouldn't be the first time.

This is exactly what they did with the holiday parties in 2017: to my knowledge this was the first and only year that you could buy holiday party tickets 30-40% off in the UK with certain agencies. They were released fairly late, right before the party season started if I'm not mistaken, when many of the rack raters would've already bought their tickets full price. They were simply maximizing profit by targeting market segments differently because they weren't filling up the park at full price. And those who paid $100+ had no idea that we walked into the same party for €60. If we had to pay $100 we would've skipped it, so by targeting us they increased their overall profit.

Right now many appear to be in groups B and C for the Fall season and it's turning into a staring contest. Guests are used to Disney buckling first but for some reason they're not doing so as of yet. We'll have to wait and see what happens when the opening of Rise is announced.

JIMINYCR

Low attendance... wow. All weve been hearing is how oppressive the crowds have been, how long the lines are, how the standby times are over a hundred minutes long, how difficult it is to enjoy a Disney event from oversell of tickets... and now its a ghost town? From the beginning we were being told that people were holding back from booking for 2 years in anticipation of SW completion, Tron completion, SW hotel build, the 50th anniversary build up... and now that the numbers have seemingly shown a decrease... its a crisis and Disney is on its way out??

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Pricing has very little to do with the difference between revenue and expense. It is a big mistake to price what you offer based on cost. Rather, pricing is based on value, and specifically the value that your target markets place on what you offer.

These forums make it sound like there is a value problem. The price increases make clear that there isn't. You're just seeing a lot of people who are upset that the company isn't doing what they personally want the company to do.
Disney could only profit from lower attendance if the customers that are going spend more money than the simple price increase alone. The $20 profit from the price hike of a ticket for one customer is not as profitable as an additional customer paying for admission, resort, food, merch, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom