Rumor Disney Looking To Trade The Theme Park Rights of Alien with Universal in exchange for Black Panther to Build a Wakanda Pavillion at Epcot

Kingoglow

Sure it would. Just tell your kids that BP is invisible right now and hiding. For Wakanda to work you just need several people standing around shouting 'Um-bot-bay' over and over and over.

LSLS

Honestly can't say this would shock me. We know they want IP everywhere. Now instead of a new country where you throw an IP into an attraction while having all else devoted to a country, the country IS the IP. This actually sounds EXACTLY like something the current Disney would be all over. I wonder if Shuri is included in the Universal rights?

aladdin2007

I can confirm that Wakanda has been thought of for Epcot and is indeed a top runner for the park after Brazil. I’ve not heard ANYTHING at all about the company trading any rights for it, especially anything regarding Alien.

if they did this then that tells me the countries as we know them would no longer be those countries, they would have to all be turned into IP and IP titles instead...what a mess. I just cant see it with the architecture thats there now, would be such a shame to ruin it. But what do they care as long as they have another reason to add a bar to something...

tissandtully

It is expected to happen soon as recently, I talked to a Cast Member online about it. He said that ever since the success of Black Panther last year, Disney Imagineers have been secretly planning on building a whole pavilion themed to the fictional country of Wakanda in the World Showcase. They plan on building it right next to the China and Germany pavilions. Ever since the full acquisition of 20th Century Fox, this deal between exchanging the rights of Alien and Black Panther with Universal has been coming very close to happening as Disney could soon announce this whole new project at D23
Oh sweet summer child...

Wakanda does not belong in the World Showcase as it is a fictitious place. However, I am not against a Wakanda presence in EPCOT in general. Wakanda was a country of innovation. Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow should be where Wakanda (one of the most technologically advanced nations in the MCU) should be.

RSoxNo1

Wakanda could work as a diversionary area in Epcot if it's a showcase of real/imagined technology. I suspect they could get away with using any character from the movie except Black Panther. There's absolutely precedent for using a major IP without using the main characters (Star Tours comes to mind). Wakanda itself is a character and can be utilized in effective world building.

T'Challa's speech to the United Nations screams EPCOT Center to me. I'd be on board with certain story treatments of Wakanda in Future World, but not World Showcase.

Here's the speech:

Wakanda will no longer watch from the shadows. We cannot. We must not. We will work to be an example of how we as brothers and sisters on this Earth should treat each other. Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.

Since we're auditing @TheVisionarySoul, here's some things he's gotten right in the past

• New North entrance to property
  • Resort Fees
  • Third Toy Story Mania track
  • Great Movie Ride Closing

Things @TheVisionarySoul got incorrect or TBD
  • Indiana Jones to replace DINOSAUR
  • Brazil Pavilion opening 2022
  • Following rides closing or being reimagined in the next four years (2018-2022): Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Muppet Vision, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Star Tours, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

Last edited:

KevinPage

Actually Splash Mountain will be reskinned as Black Panther: Wakanda Adventure.

Remember the movie has them fighting by a waterfall? So, “synergy baby”.

Forest Whitaker will replace the vultures on your journey before the big drop and then you’ll be treated to a “reimagined” musical number of:

🎶 “Wakanda Forever, Wakanda Day, my oh my what a Wakanda Day”.

“Plenty of Superheroes heading your way, Bobby loves IP, go eat a turkey leg” 🎶

Chapek found it more cost effective to reuse the original Zippa De Do Dah song by only having them clip audio bits into the existing song.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wakanda could work as a diversionary area in Epcot if it's a showcase of real/imagined technology. I suspect they could get away with using any character from the movie except Black Panther. There's absolutely precedent for using a major IP without using the main characters (Star Tours comes to mind). Wakanda itself is a character and can be utilized in effective world building.

T'Challa's speech to the United Nations screams EPCOT Center to me. I'd be on board with certain story treatments of Wakanda in Future World, but not World Showcase.

Here's the speech:

Wakanda will no longer watch from the shadows. We cannot. We must not. We will work to be an example of how we as brothers and sisters on this Earth should treat each other. Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.

Since we're auditing @TheVisionarySoul, here's some things he's gotten right in the past

• New North entrance to property
  • Resort Fees
  • Third Toy Story Mania track
  • Great Movie Ride Closing
Things @TheVisionarySoul got incorrect or TBD
  • Indiana Jones to replace DINOSAUR
  • Brazil Pavilion opening 2022
  • Following rides closing or being reimagined in the next four years (2018-2022): Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Muppet Vision, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Star Tours, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

I wonder if they could use Shuri since she doesn't appear in the Black Panther comics until 2005.

WDW Guru

Here's the speech:

That's exactly why I thought a Wakanda would work best as an exhibit in Innoventions. You could easily set it up as a showcase of what Vibranium could be used for and have a few interactive elements added in as well. Still not an ideal situation, but with the new direction they are taking Future World, it wouldv'e worked very well. Too bad they'd rather have trees and meet and greets.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I can confirm this, the same CM also told me that they were changing Spaceship Earth into a Frozen attraction where you ride through scenes of past attractions from years gone by while LET IT GO blasts through your ride speak ers.

I'm honestly surprised this has gone 7 pages. There's no truth to this.

MaryJaneP

Wakanda????? Seriously??? Two new fake countries and an entirely new spaceship coming soon to what used to be known as EPCOT Center. Wakanda will be right next to Ababwa and SSE will now become Spaceship Krypton so WDW can shoehorn in all sort of Superman merch. Really? Are they that desperate to entirely kill Epcot? Crowd control by lack of content.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom