Epcot’s Upcoming Disney themed Nighttime show, is that a final straw?

Amidala

The loss of RoE feels like the final stake in the heart of EPCOT, yes. For me too. EPCOT Forever is really just the funeral music they play as we watch the coffin being lowered into the ground. Songs the departed loved.

My God, you guys are so depressing sometimes.

It's sad that that's all you see, because it's so much more than a bit of fireworks with a multi-colored ball spinning on a lake. It's a beautiful story if you actually listen to the opening announcement and look at the images on the globe and listen to the ending song. Once I actually listened and paid attention to the story, I really started to love it. I know it's not for everyone though.

It took a while for ROE to grow on me but once it did, I really fell in love. It's a kind of simplistic approach to something way too complicated to be summed up with fireworks, lasers and a few projections...but the music just hits all the right emotional beats for me, and helps to make ROE feel optimistic & hopeful to me rather than fake & cherry-coating (which is an accusation that gets thrown around often). It's definitely flawed (the concept of the projections on the Earth is cool, but just doesn't work in its current form; as a local, I watched ROE 2-3 times a week for years and rarely had a good view of the Earth, no matter what country I was viewing from) and old enough now that I can understand the need for a replacement. Still devastated to see it go.

I'm generally more flexible on IPs than some on here (Frozen in Norway doesn't bother me; GOTG coaster does) but super apprehensive about the use of IPs in Epcot Forever. Not really sure how they plan to pay homage to past FW attractions like Kitchen Kabaret while also using IPs in a multicultural/international tribute similar to ROE? These seem like concepts for two completely separate shows to me. If used subtly/sparingly, I think IPs like Coco could suit this show well, but like others have said...really don't want to see this become Happily Ever After 2.0 but with some countries tossed in.

danyoung56

How about we not judge Epcot Forever or the next show to come until it's actually, ya know, been released and we've seen it?

I have a trip scheduled to start on 9/26, so I'll get to see IllumiNations several times before it goes away, as well as the first showing of Epcot Forever. I've been a huge fan of IllumiNations in all of its forms over the years, and will be really sorry to see this one go. I guess the soundtrack, as well as the turn of this century's lead-in music, will have to suffice.

PolynesianPrincess

My God, you guys are so depressing sometimes.

It took a while for ROE to grow on me but once it did, I really fell in love. It's a kind of simplistic approach to something way too complicated to be summed up with fireworks, lasers and a few projections...but the music just hits all the right emotional beats for me, and helps to make ROE feel optimistic & hopeful to me rather than fake & cherry-coating (which is an accusation that gets thrown around often). It's definitely flawed (the concept of the projections on the Earth is cool, but just doesn't work in its current form; as a local, I watched ROE 2-3 times a week for years and rarely had a good view of the Earth, no matter what country I was viewing from) and old enough now that I can understand the need for a replacement. Still devastated to see it go.

I'm generally more flexible on IPs than some on here (Frozen in Norway doesn't bother me; GOTG coaster does) but super apprehensive about the use of IPs in Epcot Forever. Not really sure how they plan to pay homage to past FW attractions like Kitchen Kabaret while also using IPs in a multicultural/international tribute similar to ROE? These seem like concepts for two completely separate shows to me. If used subtly/sparingly, I think IPs like Coco could suit this show well, but like others have said...really don't want to see this become Happily Ever After 2.0 but with some countries tossed in.

I feel the same way you do with IPs. Frozen in Norway? Ok, but I was REALLY sad to see Maelstrom go. Ratatouille in France? Sure, it fits! GotG coaster? It would be better at Hollywood Studios. I am intrigued to see how they do work any IPs into the new show without making it Disney character central!

My sister feels much like you about ROE. She never really liked it but always watched it because it was our tradition and she knew I loved it. Over the last few years though, she's really started to like it. I feel like as kids, sometimes you don't really understand what the show is about but for me, it had fireworks and music and the first one had lasers, so I loved it. But as I grew and understood the story, it just found a place in my heart. My sister has admitted she will most likely cry during the final showing. And the only time I've really ever seen her cry at Disney was during our last viewing of Wishes.

Mickey5150

The final straw is when they replace the show that's replacing the show that's replacing the show that's replacing Illuminations. So when that happens, and I'm in my 90s, I'm done with Disney... Unless they bring back Spectromagic.

NickPytlinski

how dare disney make a disney park show more disney.

i for one am happy to see something new in epcot. its refreshing.
most people hated wishes going from MK but they replaced it with something really cool and fresh.

stop being negatvie ninnies all the time

HoldenC

I somewhat agree OP. I think its sad IllumiNations is being replaced with essentially a HEA 2.0. That being said, it may end up being even better than HEA so while I'm furious ROE is being murdered for an IP show, I will reserve full blown disgust until I see it in person.

danheaton

It will make me sad to see ROE ending, and the ultimate move to a nighttime show with characters isn't the choice I'd prefer. On the other hand, I understand the move from a business sense. While many of us love ROE and will miss it, others may want a closer Disney connection in the show. I'm not one of those people, but this isn't a last straw situation. It's more of the same from Chapek and Iger. I just hope that they find a way to still have a show that fits within Epcot despite its characters.

Heppenheimer

This is why I hate excessive use of abbreviations and acronyms. What are "ROE" and "HEA"? Can we not spell out the name of a single park, attraction, show, resort, meal or event on this website?

actioncookbook

Disney fandom is a wild place. We have real adults getting mad online about a theme park changing shows.

Then we have real adults getting mad at other real adults for being mad about the change.

All over what a company that specializes in fictional cartoons does.

Wild.

SpaceCoast

I'm glad to see Illuminations go. The part with the low tech globe moving around puts me to sleep. Time for something new. I don't see why the OP is concerned about Disney making the Epcot show more Disney.

NickPytlinski

Disney fandom is a wild place. We have real adults getting mad online about a theme park changing shows.

Then we have real adults getting mad at other real adults for being mad about the change.

All over what a company that specializes in fictional cartoons does.

Wild.

even fist fighting about the changes in California disneyland lol im sure it was about that :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom