Jurassic Park: The Ride at Universal Studios Hollywood to be re-themed to Jurassic World.... What does this mean for Orlando?

Tom Morrow

I think Florida is better off keeping their classic version.
Agreed. I would much rather see our version refreshed with new animatronics and effects rather than this lackluster revamp.

I'm not sold on the mosasaur scene. There's some nice interactivity with the water, but it doesn't look very convincing. The mosasaur apparently "breaks" the glass, but the glass would have to be at least a hundred feet thick to make him look that small and far way as he does it. The way it transitions is also a bit awkward. How tall is the tank supposed to be? Because you're not underwater... and then you are... and then you're not. o_O This could've been a decent scene in a different ride, but it feels shoehorned in here and shouldn't have replaced the original opening scene, which was much more cinematic. I would've just given the ultrasaurs an upgrade. As the centerpieces of the scene, they were lacking, but everything else was fine. Can they at least ship them here, since we only have one for no apparent reason? :cautious:
The more I think about this scene, the more I don't like it. It would be more convincing, perhaps, of the tank was only on the right side of the boat.

Last edited:

Musicman20

Does the Florida version have as long indoor section ? My memory is of going up the lift hill and almost immediately down again.

I agree that the tension starts too early, alarms while slowly plodding up a lift hill feels a bit off.

I have a feeling they slow down the indoor section at both parks depending on the cycle of the dino AAs and the boats upfront.

There is one video of the new JW showing that the boats go through quickly....then another demonstrating a pause....even seeing the I-Rex go on two cycles.

I do hope they are adding to the I-Rex.

Musicman20

I'm not sold on the mosasaur scene. There's some nice interactivity with the water, but it doesn't look very convincing. The mosasaur apparently "breaks" the glass, but the glass would have to be at least a hundred feet thick to make him look that small and far way as he does it. The way it transitions is also a bit awkward. How tall is the tank supposed to be? Because you're not underwater... and then you are... and then you're not. o_O

I don't think you are underwater at all. Basically it's the same as walking through an aquarium and looking at a HUGE tank either side. But the tour is not on foot, it is on a boat ride.

Tom Morrow

I don't think you are underwater at all. Basically it's the same as walking through an aquarium and looking at a HUGE tank either side. But the tour is not on foot, it is on a boat ride.
Initially I thought the mosasaur swam over and under the boat track, but after finding better videos, it only swims under it. So the roof over the ride track is supposed to be just over the surface of the tank water.

If you're paying attention to spatial awareness, the left side of the tank would extend well past where you just boarded the boat. I think the scene is a neat idea but could use some tweaking.

JT3000

The problem is there's no huge tank, particularly on the left side. I referenced the height of the tank as a way of pointing out that the scene doesn't really work or make any sense without a change in elevation, as you go around a tight left turn to start the ride and there's suddenly a huge tank of water extending well past where the loading station just was, and then immediately after that scene, the ride continues outdoors with no wall on your left side, meaning the tank that extended well past the end of the scene has suddenly ceased to exist the moment you leave the scene. You can tell they didn't put much thought into how this scene could exist spatially.

Does Blue walk?! I can't tell.

Yes.

Musicman20

The problem is there's no huge tank, particularly on the left side. I referenced the height of the tank as a way of pointing out that the scene doesn't really work or make any sense without a change in elevation, as you go around a tight left turn to start the ride and there's suddenly a huge tank of water extending well past where the loading station just was, and then immediately after that scene, the ride continues outdoors with no wall on your left side, meaning the tank that extended well past the end of the scene has suddenly ceased to exist the moment you leave the scene. You can tell they didn't put much thought into how this scene could exist spatially.

Whilst I see what you mean, most riders won't pay that much attention to where the tank should end....

Jon81uk

Whilst I see what you mean, most riders won't pay that much attention to where the tank should end....

I agree, most people have a reasonable suspension of disbelief on theme park rides. Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion also of course have moments where it doesn't seem plausible that what you are seeing now fits in the space or would naturally be after what you just saw. There are also plenty of other examples such as Spider-Man, Transformers and Gringotts.

Tom Morrow

It looks really nice at night, and it seems like a lot more audio was added, such as the theme song and alarms. It still needs some kinetic movement from the hydrosaur to the lift.

ParkPeeker

Even before entering the tank scene, you have that other closed door that you can see through and there clearly isn't a tank on the right side. And the tank magically just appears on the right side

MouseMelly

Ride is officially opened... entered the queue at 13 minutes after the ride came up. Posted wait was one hour. It’s been an hour and 13 and only half way there. Ride just went down and they’re evacuating boats. 😫
Posted wait is now 170 minutes.

Bairstow

Did Universal use any kind of interesting tech for the tank projection?
Dual-layered screens to sell the "crack", perhaps?

MouseMelly

Did Universal use any kind of interesting tech for the tank projection?
Dual-layered screens to sell the "crack", perhaps?
I was quite disappointed in that piece. I think ours malfunctioned. We never saw the mosasaurus. The crack was present before we got to it. 😕

Bairstow

I was quite disappointed in that piece. I think ours malfunctioned. We never saw the mosasaurus. The crack was present before we got to it. 😕

Could you see the tank background behind the "crack"?
Did the crack appear to be floating in front of it or was it just part of the image?

Professortango1

Yes.

My issue is that the tank on the left just ends right before the waterfall. In reality, the tank would be built right up into the rockwork surrounding the tank. But they liked the waterfall effect, so they have the tank stop just few yards shy for some odd reason. IMO, the tank scene should have replaced Stegasaur Springs if possible. The area always feels cramped as it is and the cavern would make a great transition of going into the tank viewing area, especially as we see there's a waterfall above leading us to believe there's a body of water above that point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom