Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Indy_UK

Hulu buys movie rights to 2020 and 2021 Lionsgate Movies and tv shows. This is a smart move and will help Hulu gain more customers. Everyone talks about Netflix and Disney Plus but too many ignore Hulu and Hotstar, Disney's secret weapons.

Any major names and titles in that list we should be excited about?

Indy_UK

Movies are good. Hulu needs the content and it's good that Disney are bulking it's content offering ready for international launch.

Where Disney don't fully own Hulu, I wonder if Hulu could purchase Miramax (who look to be going for cheap) and bring them in house. There may not be issues while Universal are still involved

seascape

I hope they announce a Hulu reboot too at D23 but I doubt it will happen
Hulu had a major place on the media day in April. They are growing rapidly and will be a major component of The Walt Disney Company's streaming strategy. Just the other day they announced they want partial ownership of any of the shows shown directly on their platform. Remember, that besides directly owned shows they also offer a live TV service.

Darkprime

So with Disney+ coming and EndGame being announced for streaming in December some people were worried it might not get a traditional streaming release prior to December well its now confirmed that like Infinity War EndGame's digital release will be July 30th.

Cosmic Commando

Really interesting article about Netflix and how they're not in great shape to withstand this onslaught of streaming services coming soon. I knew they sometimes "borrowed" a foreign show as a "Netflix Original", but I didn't realize they own so little even if their own original content. And they're not making any money off of all these Stranger Things promotions that are running all over?! No wonder so many companies jumped onboard! I could see Netflix's stock taking a big dive if a lot of people cancel for Disney+.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/03...llustrate-the-flaws-in-netflixs-strategy.html

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Really interesting article about Netflix and how they're not in great shape to withstand this onslaught of streaming services coming soon. I knew they sometimes "borrowed" a foreign show as a "Netflix Original", but I didn't realize they own so little even if their own original content. And they're not making any money off of all these Stranger Things promotions that are running all over?! No wonder so many companies jumped onboard! I could see Netflix's stock taking a big dive if a lot of people cancel for Disney+.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/03...llustrate-the-flaws-in-netflixs-strategy.html

I think Netflix will have to make a big acquisition to compete with Disney, Warner, Comcast going forward. I would include Apple and - to a lesser extent - Amazon, but I think they will be on the same boat as Netflix and will need to make a similar big acquisition. Sony Pictures, Lionsgate, Paramount are some of the names that make sense to me. They have great production capabilities and a healthy number of content in their library. They also own a fair amount of IPs that Netflix could mine. Netflix, Apple, Amazon are not into theatrical releases, so I doubt they'd continue that piece of the business unless it's for Academy Awards consideration.

seascape

I think Netflix will have to make a big acquisition to compete with Disney, Warner, Comcast going forward. I would include Apple and - to a lesser extent - Amazon, but I think they will be on the same boat as Netflix and will need to make a similar big acquisition. Sony Pictures, Lionsgate, Paramount are some of the names that make sense to me. They have great production capabilities and a healthy number of content in their library. They also own a fair amount of IPs that Netflix could mine. Netflix, Apple, Amazon are not into theatrical releases, so I doubt they'd continue that piece of the business unless it's for Academy Awards consideration.
Amazon doesn't have to do anything. They include their video with Amazon Prime and unless they stop that, they will be on e of the top serives.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Amazon doesn't have to do anything. They include their video with Amazon Prime and unless they stop that, they will be on e of the top serives.

I have Amazon Prime and almost never watch anything on Amazon. Except for a handful of original programming, they only have a limited selection of "free viewing" and everything else is pay-for.

When you have a Netflix account, everything they show you is "free". With Amazon, their top recommendations and best material is pay-for. And that's why I almost never fire up Amazon when watching TV.

Princess Leia

I have Amazon Prime and almost never watch anything on Amazon. Except for a handful of original programming, they only have a limited selection of "free viewing" and everything else is pay-for.

When you have a Netflix account, everything they show you is "free". With Amazon, their top recommendations and best material is pay-for. And that's why I almost never fire up Amazon when watching TV.
They also have a dreadful navigation system. They also occasionally have movies that are simultaneously free on Prime and Rent/Buy only (example, Chinatown a few months ago; watched it on Prime, but when I searched for it, it gave me rented versions as well). I would use Prime to watch tv and movies more if it was just easier to use.

Semi-related- I cancelled my Netflix on Monday. I'll have it until the end of the month, and then I'm switching over to my friends' account. They're charging me $4/month, but that's way cheaper than the $12/month I am currently sending Netflix. I'll also be cancelling my HBO at the end of the month, so that's another $15 I'll be saving.

Cosmic Commando

I do think Amazon Prime Video has a pretty decent selection (maybe they just like buying what I like), but I totally agree that the navigation is subpar, and I also don't like how they're always trying to sell you something. They should make it easier to use as a free-only service, and that will get people used to going there for when they're ready to make a purchase.

Edit: I'm also doing a free trial month of Hulu right now... I'm really glad Disney+ is doing its own thing and Hulu itself will eventually use the BAM technology as its backbone.

Princess Leia

Since we're on the topic of bashing Amazon Prime's video feature...

Knowing Disney+ will be sorted by category already gives it a huge win in my book. Netflix's system isn't perfect (its 'Classic' section has a lot of B movies that I wouldn't consider classic), but it's probably the best out there. HBO Now's is pretty decent. It has less to pull from, but it's clean at least.
My best friend has Hulu, and she says it's worse, which I can't imagine, considering how bad Prime is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom