Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

mikejs78

Premium Member
What's the likely hood this area could be mothballed, the creative team behind it removed and banned from a 10 mile radius around any Disney resort WORLDWIDE, and redone again properly ?

giphy.gif
Won't happen. You're in a tiny minority...

mikejs78

Premium Member
“Tiny” since the Land was announced for WDW. Before that, when TSL was part of several overseas parks, the course of action Mac suggests would have found near universal acceptance on these boards.

Funny how that happened.
Well, yeah, because the other lands are really cheap and something not worthy of Disney. TSL in DHS is a different class of land compared to the TSLs in other Disney parks. People who have actually been to more than one have said as much.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, July 3, 2019. To better accommodate the foot traffic from the Chinese Theatre plaza into Toy Story Land, the existing ramp for stroller and electric vehicles is being widened. Construction walls are up next to the Chinese Theatre and around the original ramp area.

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

A temporary sign instructs guests to use the Hollywood Studios arched entrance in front of Voyage of The Little Mermaid as a ramp, vice the stairs in the photo below.

IMG_1511.JPG

Rob562

A temporary sign instructs guests to use the Hollywood Studios arched entrance in front of Voyage of The Little Mermaid as a ramp, vice the stairs in the photo below.

View attachment 386509

Yeesh. They should really re-think the graphics of that sign... A quick glance at the sign makes the triangle design at the top look like an arrow pointing straight ahead for wheelchairs.

-Rob

DHSCM

photo from 7/6/19 nice photo op. woody has a big branch in his face. Also looks like no work has been done to the bungalow backstage for the restaurant, im pretty sure they are empty tho.

Attachments

• IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 423
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 10.53.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 10.53.38 PM.png
    567.2 KB · Views: 420
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 10.53.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 10.53.07 PM.png
    571 KB · Views: 412

Bleed0range

I was reading the (very positive) reviews for Toy Story 4 and was struck by a realization:

A big part of what feels so insulting about TSL is the fact that it is based off one of the most consistently excellent, emotionally resonant franchises ever produced in any medium, animated or otherwise. It has become a cliche that Pixar films make audiences cry, and Toy Story excels at this because it effectively, honestly, and non-manipulatively addresses issues of growth, aging, and mortality that Oscar-nominated dramas handle with less grace.

But at WDW, this remarkable franchise is reduced to some carnival rides and a Wii game. This explains why I actually liked Bugs Land, an area based on a much more frivolous film, but loathe TSL. Obviously, theme park rides have to engage audience emotions in a different manner then films, but TSL doesn’t even try. It’s positively dismissive of its wonderful source material. It reinforces popular perceptions of animated films as disposable, childish, and meaningless while supposedly representing a franchise that disproves those perceptions.

It’s like building a Citizen Kane spinner or a Grapes of Wrath wild mouse. Or a Mary Poppins carousel.

So you think they should build a dark ride?

Darth Snips

Maybe I just missed this news, but when did Alien Swirling Saucers get interactive elements in the queue?

At least in my experience, these buttons, switches, and knobs have all been totally inactive. But when I visited tonight, they triggered various lights and sound effects.

For example, those three colored buttons were making displays on the wall light up; here are some photos:
ECCD975F-4BC0-4482-9643-073CA3BEDDBA.jpeg

5F862FA9-0074-4990-B0EA-B3358AB80B52.jpeg

Also, there was little lighting effect where the toy would “lose power” and all the lights would flicker on and off.

I have never seen any of these effects in this queue before, and I’m a local so I come here fairly often. Have I just had bad luck before? Or is this new?

ToTBellHop

Maybe I just missed this news, but when did Alien Swirling Saucers get interactive elements in the queue?
View attachment 387882
View attachment 387884
At least in my experience, these buttons, switches, and knobs have all been totally inactive. But when I visited tonight, they triggered various lights and sound effects.

For example, those three colored buttons were making displays on the wall light up; here are some photos:View attachment 387893
View attachment 387895

Also, there was little lighting effect where the toy would “lose power” and all the lights would flicker on and off.

I have never seen any of these effects in this queue before, and I’m a local so I come here fairly often. Have I just had bad luck before? Or is this new?
I’ve never seen that before. Looks new. Hopefully changes as simple as these won’t slow the line down.

durangojim

Photo update as of Wednesday, July 3, 2019. To better accommodate the foot traffic from the Chinese Theatre plaza into Toy Story Land, the existing ramp for stroller and electric vehicles is being widened. Construction walls are up next to the Chinese Theatre and around the original ramp area.

View attachment 386506

View attachment 386507

View attachment 386508

View attachment 386509
When I was there this morning there was a poor cm with a mic and speaker box letting every one know that this was stairs only and that the ramp was down by the Brown Derby. It was actually pretty humorous as she was making it sound like people had found an attraction called “Stairs”... “You’ve reaches stairs, please keep your party together and traverse vertical levels without falling or injuring yourself. Stairs, you can go up AND down”. She was a very good sport while having one of the most tedious jobs in the park. :)

rct247

View attachment 387882
View attachment 387884

For example, those three colored buttons were making displays on the wall light up; here are some photos:View attachment 387893
View attachment 387895

These have recently been activated in the past few months. They were originally planned at opening, but were delayed.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom