Trip Report Jut on in! 40-year-old Best Friends' POFQ Trip, June 2019 *COMPLETED*

Hello, all!! Just got back yesterday from the World (but WHY?! is the trip over already?! I will never understand...), and I'm ready to begin our Trip Report!!

For those of you who want a refresher, or who didn't see it, HERE is our Pre-Trip report, but to summarize:

WHO: My best friend P (just turned 40 in May), and me- Amber (40). P and I went to HS together, 1 year apart, but weren't friends. We became friends when we worked together at my college bookstore in the summers after graduation. In 2001, while working at the bookstore, P (who had been to WDW several times as a child) and I (never had been) planned a trip, along with another friend of P's. This was my first trip, and I was hooked!! From then on I became the Disney expert in our friendship as the years went on and altogether before this trip, she and I (with varying combinations of friends and family members as well) went to the World 5 times (though a couple of these were just 1 day visits). We hadn't been for a full week since 2006, so we figured our 40th birthday year was time to rectify this.

This is P and I in November 2018, as she and her wife, and my husband and I happened to be in the World at the same time and met up for a few minutes:

WHERE: Port Orleans French Quarter! I've always loved the look and smallness of this resort, but had not ever stayed here, as it isn't one my husband really ever wants to stay at. So I figured this was a good opportunity to stay there. I really loved our resort!

WHEN: Saturday, June 15th- Saturday, June 22nd. I was really excited to be going for a full week!

Hope you'll join me!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Next up was Haunted Mansion. Other than just missing the closing of the doors, there was zero wait.

Not the greatest picture, but P was pleased to discover Toad in pet cemetery because she loves the DL ride.

Off to our next ride!

It was a warm morning, getting hotter, so we decided a cool treat was in order. Can't go wrong with a classic!! We took these beauties into the queue for our next attraction.

Pirates of the Caribbean had maybe a 10 minute wait? It might have been posted at 20 minutes but I don't think we waited that, although we wouldn't have argued because between the dole whips and the shade/shelter, we were feeling much cooler.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I still think this is THE most pointless on-ride photo ever. We didn't get the photopass photos, so all of our PP photos will have the watermark.
We're the clueless broads in the back.

After a fun morning, it was time to begin exiting the park with our brunch destination in mind. We took the air conditioned route through the shops on the Casey's Corner side of the street. Before entering, we enjoyed watching the travels of some Disney ducks

Monorail would be our mode of transportation!

We got the Toy Story 4 wrapped monorail. I didn't grab a picture of the outside then, but when I was inside, I noticed Slinky Dog peeking at me.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We were having brunch at Cali Grill! P had eaten there for both dinner and brunch, whereas I'd only had dinner there (which was good but not something I need to do often).

P giddily looking over the menu. The brunch consists of all you care to eat buffet items, and then an entree and dessert.

I wish I could have this plate of food right now! The deviled eggs, strawberry arugula salad, and various meats & cheeses were so good!

I went up a second time before the entrees came out. The item on the left was a baba cake with orange ice cream and sugared corn flakes, and let me tell you. ALMOST takes the Raglan Road bread pudding's place as my top dessert on property. They might actually be tied.

Some shots of the buffet:

I had not ever heard of Baba cake but I'm a fan!

Look at that view!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I enjoyed the buffet offerings so much, that honestly I:

a) wasn't really hungry for my entree and
b) didn't think the entrees were that great

I got the garden omelet, and meant to ask for no fava beans, but forgot. There were quite a few fava beans, so I didn't end up eating much of this at all. P got a pancake dish, and I had a few bites of it too, but I didn't really do a lot for me either.

Two views of our dessert, which they will box up for you if you like. The chocolate bark was so so good!

Overall thoughts: I wish this brunch was cheaper if you didn't have to get an entree :hilarious: I could have happily just had the buffet items, of which there were several stand out items for me. I'm glad I did it and would do it again sometime, maybe not everytime just because of the price. Our server was so awesome! Just really friendly and warm-- wish I remembered her name.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We're doing that brunch in October!! CANNOT WAIT!
I mean, the view and atmosphere alone are really nice- I liked it better at this time of day than night time. Overall I liked brunch better than dinner. Enjoy!

Forgot to mention: there is a design-your-own bloody mary bar, for an upcharge. I stuck with my complimentary champagne.

krisri18

I enjoyed the buffet offerings so much, that honestly I:

a) wasn't really hungry for my entree and
b) didn't think the entrees were that great

I got the garden omelet, and meant to ask for no fava beans, but forgot. There were quite a few fava beans, so I didn't end up eating much of this at all. P got a pancake dish, and I had a few bites of it too, but I didn't really do a lot for me either.
View attachment 384088

Two views of our dessert, which they will box up for you if you like. The chocolate bark was so so good!
View attachment 384090

View attachment 384091

Overall thoughts: I wish this brunch was cheaper if you didn't have to get an entree :hilarious: I could have happily just had the buffet items, of which there were several stand out items for me. I'm glad I did it and would do it again sometime, maybe not everytime just because of the price. Our server was so awesome! Just really friendly and warm-- wish I remembered her name.
I wanted to do Brunch at Cali Grill in August but I got outvoted for Trails End :rolleyes: apparently fried chicken beats out anything that CG would have had

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After brunch, we went back to our resort. On the way there I realized that I'd never moved my car from the Visitor's lot to the lot closer to our building. So P ran up to our room to throw my keys down to me, and I moved it.

Up next, nap time! I mean, we're 40!

A few hours later, feeling quite refreshed, we headed back out...to rain! Donning our ponchos, we were off to Animal Kingdom for the remainder of the day.

All of our FP were for AK, and our first was Flights of Passage- P's first time!

After an amazing flight (I think I enjoyed it more this time, sort of knowing already what to expect), we needed some dinner. Satu'li Canteen it was! I had the noodles with beef and creamy herb sauce. P had the hearty salad base...I think with shrimp? She originally wasn't that enthused about getting a salad (she can't eat the other bases because of carbs) but she really enjoyed it. This salad really was a nice salad with lots of ingredients. Mine was delicious!!

Na'vi River Journey was a short wait, so we joined the standby line. I think we only waited around 10 minutes.

I like to think I'm up on Disney World news, but I don't know where I was when the news was given about the Shaman animatronic at the end being gone...so I felt really stupid telling P that while this is a pretty ride, it wasn't something that I would wait a long time for, but that the animatronic at the end is so well done. It wasn't until going past the current situation (which is a screen) and viewing the exit in sight that I realized it wasn't there!

We originally had a FP for Primeval Whirl, but a few days prior to our trip, it had already turned into an All-Experience FP because it wasn't running. We also had a Kali one (made originally when we thought it would feel nice on a hot day), but we didn't feel the need to use that one, since it was raining. We decided to use our All Experience one for Dinosaur later. But first, we had some VIM to meet.

I really liked the colorful Lion King banners they had around.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster

The queue was very short, but as the party ahead of us was getting their photos, P and the CM got talking about eyeliner and makeup...all out of my wheelhouse as I don't wear much. They were still chatting when Minnie and Mickey were ready for us- what they must've thought!! How embarrassing to have them have to wait on us :oops:
We chatted about their wildlife adventures of the day.

On the way to Dinosaur, I enjoyed looking at all of the details...

We didn't need the FP for Dinosaur, but used it anyway. I always enjoy it, but afterwards, while looking around the little shop, P noticed that during the ride, the bottle of water that she had in her purse had leaked, all over the bottom of the purse.

She did wonder why I took this photo. "Trip Report documentation, of course" was my reply.

I guarded her assorted items, as she went back in the shop to ask for some paper towels, if they had them. Not only did they provide them, but an actual towel as well for her to use! While I waited outside, I overheard a family have a major argument...there was a brother and a sister, both late teens absolutely yelling at each other. The mom was sort of trying to mollify both of them, and the dad literally sat to the side, staring off into space, picking his nose. No lie.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After P dried her purse out, we decided to split up for a bit, as I wanted to ride Everest, and P didn't. She went off to the shops on Discovery Island, and I walked to Asia.

I'm coming for you!

We would not be viewing RoL tonight (neither of us particularly cared for it when we each viewed it previously).

The Single Rider line had zero wait, so in no time I was aboard with 3 other ladies (I believe grandmother, mother, daughter). I saw with the grandmother, who shook my hand and introduced herself to me right away. Welcomed, we settled in for a fun ride, as always.

When the ride was done, I couldn't resist going around and hopping back in the single rider line again. This time I joined a Mom, Dad, and son for another fun ride.

Afterwards, I texted P who told me which shop she was in, I met her up, we shopped for a few more minutes, then headed out before RoL began to avoid crowds. Back to our resort for a restful night. Tomorrow would be Hollywood Studios ropedrop!!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, June 17th

Up and at 'em early on a beautiful (warm) morning, ready to go to Hollywood Studios! POFQ was such a beautiful resort to wake up to each morning.

We arrived via bus, and I couldn't believe how much the front of the park had changed! Between the bus stops and the skyliner, it took me a minute to get my bearings!! I really liked it all.

I really liked the banners!

We had time before the park opened, so we stopped in Starbucks. P is a coffee junkie, and I needed my traditional Butterfinger cupcake. It's now much smaller and not called that, but ultimately, it was a much better size for eating while standing with the masses!

MK is my favorite park, but I TRULY love Hollywood Studios. Just the old time feel, the music, everything.

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Of course we joined the masses walking to Toy Story Land...

Our original plan was to ropedrop Slinky Dog, but the line was already very long, and it was blazing hot. We decided to call an audible while in the SDD line and jumped to the Toy Story Mania line, which ended up being as long as it took to walk on, pretty much.

See you later in the week, Slinky Dog!

Bo and Woody were out and about...

As a teacher, of course I needed to photograph the Crayola markers!

End result: I won!

Then, of course, we had to stop for a photo shoot!

We still had a few minutes before our Alien FP, so we stopped to watch the toy soldiers for a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_9489.JPG
    IMG_9489.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 35

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
And then it was time for Alien Swirling Saucers! It was a first for me, and it was too cute! Short, but cute.

If I look hot and sweaty, it's because I was...

So, being that the last time I'd been at DHS was before Toy Story Land opened, I was still trying to get the lay of the land, and wondered if there was anything past where the old entrance to Toy Story Mania used to be, so we ventured that way to see the Incredibles stuff. When we noticed Edna Mode had a short wait, we had to meet her!

Definitely a rule I live by. But you always have to say it in her voice.

She loved our fingernails. The character attendant and photopass photographer noticed our shirts (they're hard to see in photos) that were Mary Poppins inspired "practically perfect in every way". They commented that they would love to see Edna and Mary collaborate on a fashion line, and Edna loved that idea. We told her that if we saw her, we would mention it and they could do lunch. I mean, would that be a fashionable, yet serviceable line or what?!

Star Tours was next- it had I think a 20 or 25 minute wait but we figured since the line was partially covered and they had fans, it would be fine. We did see a woman in the party ahead of us bail on the line, saying "I'm going back to the resort. I'll use my phone to unlock the door. See you later". It really was a hot day-- but the weather was about to change...

After ST, our goal was to shop/ kill time until the Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge opened up...we had Cobb Salads on the mind! We stopped at the Frozen shop next to the sing-a-long because I was under instruction to FaceTime my sister and show her aaaaalllll the Frozen things for my 3 year old niece's Christmas. We ended up spending quite a chunk of change, some from Santa for Christmas, and some from me-- a Sven stuffie, an Olaf stuffie, an Anna pillow, Elsa shoes, Elsa purse, Elsa cup...

Just as the CM was bagging it all up, the sky OPENED. He had excuse himself from finishing to go pull in racks of items out of the rain. Once our purchase was complete and set up for resort pickup, we dashed in our ponchos over to HBD. Of course the Lounge would not be opening then, and they couldn't take any walk-ups yet until the restaurant officially opened at 12 and they seated the ADR holders. So P found an ADR for an hour later, and once they opened, we checked in early, and they were able to seat us. I love it when a plan comes together!!

I seriously CRAVE their Cobb Salad, so I really didn't even need the menu. We enjoyed the bread though! P also got the Cobb Salad.

A thing of beauty.

Let's compare bowls, shall we? Mine would be the empty one...this would be a recurring thing this trip. I'd like to blame it solely on P's surgery but really I just like to eat :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom