For Fellow Impatient Travelers: Tips So You'll Never Be "That Guy!" When You Fly

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Our last pair of flights to and from Orlando was like a nightmarish cavalcade of all the people with whom you hope you don't have to fly! With tongue firmly in cheek (and understanding that we're all "that guy" now and then), I present to you, a list of all the guys (or gals) we met, and who you don't want to be:

1 - Don't be that guy who holds up the TSA security line because his pockets are full of spare change and a keychain made from a shell casing, his Jersey Shore-inspired gold chains are still around his neck, and his combat boots take 10 minutes to unlace. Know ahead of time what can and can't go in your carryon bag. Empty your pockets and stash your 3-1-1 bags and electronics-larger-than-a-phone in outside luggage pockets so they're easy to pull out and put in a bin. (Thanks for that unsolicited look at all the grubby underwear you had to dig through to get out your liquids bag, dude-flying-in-flannel-PJ-pants!) Train the kids in what to expect ahead of time, and follow all instructions from security agents.

2 - Don't be that guy who holds up boarding. Know your airline's boarding process and respect its rules. Keep your boarding pass handy so you don't have to sort through everything in your designer-handbag-with-87-pockets and in the folds of your unnecessarily-large-and-weather-inappropriate-blanket-scarf to find it at the gate, as though the need for a boarding pass to board the aircraft was a surprise you could never have guessed. Make sure all items you want during the flight are stowed in your personal item and not in your carryon (so you're not the older gentleman who stands up every 5 minutes trying to haul things out of the overhead bin, gets yelled at for not respecting the seatbelt sign, and mutters every time, "well, how was I supposed to know?").

Once aboard, know where you are supposed to sit or where you want to sit (if no seat is assigned, e.g., on Southwest). If traveling with others, decide ahead of time who-sits-where so you're not blocking the aisles as you arrange and rearrange your party three times so Grandma can sit next to toddler Alexis, who is so engrossed in watching Dora on her tablet that she won't budge even after your party has brought the boarding process to a halt for a full 2 minutes, at which point Daddy bodily moves Alexis to the next seat where she screams and cries until takeoff). If there is carryon space above or near your seat, stow your carryon there: do not stick your junk in the first opening you see, like some drunken frat boy. This will force later-boarding passengers who sit in the front seats to have to use overheads behind them (which will require them to swim upstream to retrieve them when it's time to disembark.) Once you've zeroed in on the proper spot for your carryon, stow it wheels-first in the overhead (your carryon, that is - not your coat, not your comfort animal, not your personal item, not all three of your shopaholic wife's duty-free tote bags that she's going to ask you to take down multiple times in-flight, anyway) and sit the heck down.

3 - Don't be that guy who makes the flight unpleasant for those around you. Do not dangle your bare feet into someone else's space or place them on an armrest or tray table, ever. Practice good hygiene, lay off strong perfumes/colognes, and avoid bringing smelly foods (e.g., egg salad, tuna) or allergens (e.g., peanuts) with you. If meal or snack service will be offered, read the drink-and-snack card in the seatback pocket ahead of time, so the flight attendant doesn't have to recite the entire list when he/she comes around to take your order. Don't hog the arm rest, and consider asking your neighbor if they mind when you recline your seat or adjust window shades. Do not kick or dig your knees into the seat ahead of you, as if the airline CEO were sitting there and you wanted to make a point about diminishing leg room. If you need to get up and must grab and make rough love to the seat in front of you in order to get your balance, say "excuse me" to the passenger you're jouncing around (or better yet, say it before the jouncing starts, so they don't spill the coffee they're drinking down the front of their favorite Harry Potter novelty shirt). Supervise your own children: watching blankly as they run up and down the aisle screaming, "Woopity-doo" does not count! Give a sympathetic smile to the inevitable mom-of-crying-baby who is seated near you, desperately trying to quiet her infant. (Do not question the mathematics of this scientific principle, but somehow, this mother is on every flight, and she is always seated near you.)

4 - Don't be that guy who holds up disembarking. Pack up and stow your personal item before landing, or while the aircraft is taxiing to the gate. Do not pretend when it's time to exit the plane that you had thought, up until this very moment, that you were going to live here now, and that's why you need to step into the aisle and have everyone wait while you get your shoes back on, put away your earbuds, poke around for the glasses you thought you put in the seat back pocket, and check six different overheads to find your carryon, which is too heavy for you, and which you will promptly drop onto an innocent old man's shoulder. Thank the pilot(s) and flight attendants on the way out, and don't stop walking or impede the flow of disembarking passengers until you're well past the gate. Having your party of 9 block the entire jetway so that you can retrieve your gate-checked stroller, unfold it right there, place Alexis in it and gingerly buckle her in, pausing to tuck her favorite blanket around her little legs just so, may just get you knifed by the family stuck behind you, and that's not how you want to die.

5 - Don't be that guy who lets the other That Guys get to him and loses his cool. Try to be patient with them, retain your sense of humor, keep unkind words to yourself, and when you get home, you can vent all your angst by posting a rant about them on wdwmagic instead. ;)

If you have any additional "that guys" or flying horror stories you want to discuss, please share!

Last edited:

EngineerMom

I seem to often get next to the person who not only hogs the armrest but has their elbow beyond the armrest into my seat and often into my side. Sometimes I have even put a book next to me to form a barrier. I am sitting there thinking OK I’ll let you have are armrest but not part of my seat. Oh and almost ALWAYS not a large person who needs to cross over that line

The last flight I was next to a large man. He crossed his arms over himself and so obviously tried to stay in his own seat. I really appreciated it and tried to be as nice to him as I could at any opportunity! We got talking about this stuff and and I thanked him for being so nice!

CaptainAmerica

I seem to often get next to the person who not only hogs the armrest but has their elbow beyond the armrest into my seat and often into my side. Sometimes I have even put a book next to me to form a barrier. I am sitting there thinking OK I’ll let you have are armrest but not part of my seat. Oh and almost ALWAYS not a large person who needs to cross over that line
We've been spoiled for a few years since we were a party of three for awhile and then we became three ticketed passengers plus a lap child. Flying is so much more pleasant if you have the row to your own family.

The last flight I was next to a large man. He crossed his arms over himself and so obviously tried to stay in his own seat. I really appreciated it and tried to be as nice to him as I could at any opportunity! We got talking about this stuff and and I thanked him for being so nice!
You're welcome!

Club Cooloholic

do not stick your junk in the first opening you see, like some drunken frat boy.
That is just an awesome line :)
not your coat
Hey wait? really, even like one that compresses? I put it over where my bag is or stuff it in the side so not taking more space.

As for the rest, the smelly food is one that really gets me. First, who are these people who wait right before boarding to bring in an garlic alfredo pasts bowl? I am pretty touchy with smells, I once flew first class, and I got sat next to a pleasant enough lady. But she had brought on a coffee. Fair enough no problem, but an hour later that coffee was still sitting on the arm rest right between us half drunk and untouched for at least an hour and half, and it had that lovely stale coffee odor wafting from it, every time the attendant went by for trash she just let it sit, finally I asked if she would mind if I threw it out.

One more to add: When waiting to board, don't stand around the lines like a group of jackals. You have a boarding number, just get up when it's called. That goes for when it lands too. There is no reason to push your way into the aisle if your seated in row 20. Its going to be awhile so just chill and stop stressing everyone out.

UncleMike101

During a two hour flight to Orlando last August I was seated beside a 20 something man who had the window seat.
During take off he was fidgeting and began picking his nose.
Not just an exploratory dig, but a full blown mining operation.
After each probe he would look at the results.
What was he looking for, gold dust???
This went on about every fifteen minutes for the duration of the flight.
I just busied myself playing Solitaire on my cell phone.
After deplaning I pushed the incident to the back of my mind in anticipation of my imminent WDW vacation.
On the flight back ten days later I again was seated next to a 20 something man who had the window seat.
As the plane took off he began FIDGETING AND PICKING HIS NOSE!!!!
I had to look to make sure it wasn't the same guy.
It wasn't.......
Once again I busied myself playing Solitaire on my cell phone
A couple of things came to mind.
Is this perhaps a new "thing" with young men in that age group????
Maybe they've lost something in there and are trying to recover it under pressurized cabin conditions.
Is this behavior some new type of anxiety relief promoted by Psychologists??
If so, and one is that nervous about flying, IMO they should stay on the ground.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Hey wait? really, even like one that compresses? I put it over where my bag is or stuff it in the side so not taking more space.

No, what you describe is perfectly kosher. What I had in mind was the people who shove in their carryon, lovingly fold their coat, and then lay it beside their luggage - expecting that no one else will dare put their own carryon in that spot - that drive me crazy. Even worse: the ones who do that and then make the executive decision that, "why, this overhead bin is full now," and close it themselves in an attempt to cover their sin and prevent others from trying to use the available space --much like the 28 passengers who pushed away from the sinking Titanic in the first lifeboat, while it still had room for 37 others.

Last edited:

Sans Souci

During a two hour flight to Orlando last August I was seated beside a 20 something man who had the window seat.
During take off he was fidgeting and began picking his nose.
Not just an exploratory dig, but a full blown mining operation.
After each probe he would look at the results.
What was he looking for, gold dust???

I was on an eight hour flight where the man next to me expectorated into his hand, then wiped the contents under the seat. I started gagging. I knew I couldn't witness eight hours of loogie hacking. I took the Calms Forte I brought with me, put a sleep mask on and I never saw his barnyard behavior again.

UncleMike101

I was on an eight hour flight where the man next to me expectorated into his hand, then wiped the contents under the seat. I started gagging. I knew I couldn't witness eight hours of loogie hacking. I took the Calms Forte I brought with me, put a sleep mask on and I never saw his barnyard behavior again.
I wonder......
Did he wipe it on the seat, or the carry on luggage belonging to the person in the seat behind him?
🤢

HMFan999

All 100% true and hilarious. I'd also like to add "don't be that guy that orders coffee or hot tea on the flight." It's made using the planes water.. from tanks that have not once been cleaned the 30 years this plane has been in service. Those of us who know the truth want to slap it out of the flight attendants hands and save you from yourself.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
All 100% true and hilarious. I'd also like to add "don't be that guy that orders coffee or hot tea on the flight." It's made using the planes water.. from tanks that have not once been cleaned the 30 years this plane has been in service. Those of us who know the truth want to slap it out of the flight attendants hands and save you from yourself.

Plowboy

May I add a couple? (I know that some of this may be viewed as petty, but we are doing this in a humorous vein aren't we? Well, aren't we???)

On the plane, please don't be the rube that places his/her bag in the overhead, goes to their seat, then gets back up to sort through said bag in overhead all the while keeping the line of potentially boarding passengers backed up the aisle and out into the jetway.

And one for in the parks. When at QS eating establishments, please review the menu board as you work your way to the order station. Nothing galls the person(s) behind you more than for you to be totally clueless for 10-15 minutes while in line to only delay the process further by just starting to determine what you want to eat when the CM asks "What would you like to have?"

Last edited:

Rob562

I was boarding a plane a few months ago, made it about halfway back through the plane before encountering an older gentleman trying to make his way upstream back to his seat after presumably going to the restroom. His seat was at least 6 rows behind me at that point, and there was a solid tow of people behind me with luggage.

For a few moments it was a standoff as he tried to push past me, but I could see that wasn't going to happen. He ignored my subtle implications that he retreat, and finally I made a loud deal of asking ever behind me to back up. (Luckily there was a mid-cabin door that allowed a few of us to scrunch back into it)

Now I totally understand the sudden need to use the restroom. But if you go back there, STAY back there until the path is clear. If you can't stay standing, the last row is usually the last to be sold, so it's often empty.

-Rob

The Mighty Tim

I never recline my seat on a flight unless the seat behind me is empty. I hate it when people do it to me, so I can't do it to others.

Case in point: coming back from New Zealand to Singapore, the person in front of me tried to put their seat back, but a strategically placed knee prevented her from doing so. She then had a bit of a moan to the cabin crew who told me to move my knee so she could recline her seat. When I said that would leave me with very little space, the cabin crew guy said I could move mine back. To which I responded "but what about the guy behind me? And the guy behind him? And the guy at the very back who can't move his seat back?". Alas, my comments fell on dead ears and I spent the majority of the 12 hour flight contorted into a small space.

ninjaprincesst

If your kid has a diaper that needs changing go to the bathroom and change it, don't leave it sitting there filling the plane with poop smell, and for goodness sake don't change it on the tray! When you sit down take notice of the person behind you, when you see they have long legs, don't recline your seat then get mad at them because they can do nothing about how long their legs are. Every flight I just get ready for it both my daughter and I have long legs, when we sit down our knees are touching the back of the seat, we can not help this, when you throw your seat back it is grinding into our knees, it is painful and yes we are going to move as much as we can (which isn't very much) but we are going to try to get some comfort, sorry if you are offended but it hurts. If no one is next to use we will just sit cross legged , but we can't do that if someone is sitting there.

Last edited:

ddbowdoin

Sorry, but the whole allergens thing... no. If I want peanuts on an airplane then I’m not going to ponder the 4% of people who have an allergy and perhaps the sub 1% who are allergic without touch. I’m not cracking shells and leaving everything on the floor.

Club Cooloholic

Witnessed on my most recent flight. A man, in his 50s or 60s got up out of his seat to go to the bathroom around 4 times on a 2 and half hour flight. He honestly looked like he was on drugs, and he was barefoot when he headed to the back. I was not sitting next to him, thank goodness, but the poor guy who was on the aisle in his row was about 6ft 4 and 300 pounds so it was not easy for him to keep getting up. I actually worried about the old guy, because he had a nod off look, and he headed to the bathroom while we were stuck on the tarmac(storm delaying takeoff). He was gone about 20 mins, and I honestly thought, does the plane carry Narcan? Should I get someone to check him out? The plane actually took off with him in there, but he did return

Plowboy

I'd actually be more worried about going in there barefoot!!! Who would do such a thing???
Witnessed on my most recent flight. A man, in his 50s or 60s got up out of his seat to go to the bathroom around 4 times on a 2 and half hour flight. He honestly looked like he was on drugs, and he was barefoot when he headed to the back. I was not sitting next to him, thank goodness, but the poor guy who was on the aisle in his row was about 6ft 4 and 300 pounds so it was not easy for him to keep getting up. I actually worried about the old guy, because he had a nod off look, and he headed to the bathroom while we were stuck on the tarmac(storm delaying takeoff). He was gone about 20 mins, and I honestly thought, does the plane carry Narcan? Should I get someone to check him out? The plane actually took off with him in there, but he did return

westie

My wife is a saint. That guy and his wife brought their 3 kids on the flight. A flight to WDW with kids on it!? Well that guy parked all 3 kids in the row behind us and then sat in the row behind them. Within moments it was the footsie frenzy on my backside. It seemed like all 3 were aiming for the back of my seat and my wife could see I was about to lose it. Out of nowhere my wife whips out an activity book for kids and asked the mom if it were ok for the kids to have it. It worked like Disney magic and the little...Disney fans were pretty good for the rest of the flight. I gave the wife carte blanche for shopping at WDW. She really knows how to diffuse a situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom