News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Magenta Panther

GoldenGirlsDorothyBite.gif

God'll getcha for that.

Surferboy567

Another bump, another Jim Hill rumor. Standard procedure thought I’d post this here because he has a proven record and all that you know the drill, on to the story.

(Side Note: I think this is real because it lines up perfectly with what @marni1971 has said)

On the recent episode of Disney dish, they have started to discuss what kind of announcements they expect for D23. And guess what the first one they picked...THE UK!

So the way I understand it is that the original plans before the movie came out was to take the back portion of the UK pavilion with the shops and such and retheme that to cherry tree lane. Complete with admiral boom’s house and 17 cherry tree lane. A meet and greet would take place with poppins and JACK (returns character) on the steps of 17 cherry tree lane. Across the street where the gardens reside now the fair ground from the film (Nowhere to go but up) would be recreated complete with possible recycled attractions from Pixar pier. He goes on to say that this was all before the movie hit and the results were in...then he goes on to state “I heard that after the results came in the scope was reduced to a SINGLE FLAT RIDE”. This is why I think this is true because it lines up exactly with what @marni1971 has said.

If I hear anymore announcements from him in the coming weeks (we are bound to) I’ll post in the appropriate threads. Again, it’s Jim hill and of course this is a RUMOR, so this could all be wrong but it’s worth mentioning. Notice how a dark ride at least according to hill wasn’t mentioned. I found that interesting thoughts? Is this basically what you heard @marni1971?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Another bump, another Jim Hill rumor. Standard procedure thought I’d post this here because he has a proven record and all that you know the drill, on to the story.

(Side Note: I think this is real because it lines up perfectly with what @marni1971 has said)

On the recent episode of Disney dish, they have started to discuss what kind of announcements they expect for D23. And guess what the first one they picked...THE UK!

So the way I understand it is that the original plans before the movie came out was to take the back portion of the UK pavilion with the shops and such and retheme that to cherry tree lane. Complete with admiral boom’s house and 17 cherry tree lane. A meet and greet would take place with poppins and JACK (returns character) on the steps of 17 cherry tree lane. Across the street where the gardens reside now the fair ground from the film (Nowhere to go but up) would be recreated complete with possible recycled attractions from Pixar pier. He goes on to say that this was all before the movie hit and the results were in...then he goes on to state “I heard that after the results came in the scope was reduced to a SINGLE FLAT RIDE”. This is why I think this is true because it lines up exactly with what @marni1971 has said.

If I hear anymore announcements from him in the coming weeks (we are bound to) I’ll post in the appropriate threads. Again, it’s Jim hill and of course this is a RUMOR, so this could all be wrong but it’s worth mentioning. Notice how a dark ride at least according to hill wasn’t mentioned. I found that interesting thoughts? Is this basically what you heard @marni1971?

Practically pointless in every way.

The problem as I'm interpreting it is that the decision makers were wanting to base the attraction off the current movie and because it did less than outstanding at the box office; the grander plans were back-burned. If we were to get something at this point it would be that bare minimum flat... "something" to plop down but not anything held to the caliber of the movie franchise or at a level the fandom demands.

I get the impression that TDO/Imagineering is currently in the "Why bother?" stage of development.
Have plans completely stalled or is this still moving along?

Last edited:

Surferboy567

The problem as I'm interpreting it is that the decision makers were wanting to base the attraction off the current movie and because it did less than outstanding at the box office; the grander plans were back-burned. If we were to get something at this point it would be that bare minimum flat... "something" to plop down but not anything held to the caliber of the movie franchise or at a level the fandom demands.

I get the impression that TDO/Imagineering is currently in the "Why bother?" stage of development.

Like you said, it’s happening just in an extremely scaled back way ie one flat ride

SteamboatJoe

Why they would pin their hopes on the success of a Disney live action film that isn't Marvel or LucasFilms is beyond me. Even Pirates is no longer a sure thing.

Purduevian

The fandom did not demand anything more as shown by the box office of 171 million domestically. What the fandom is demanding is marvel (Infinity war alone is at $670 mil domestic), star wars ($620 mil domestic in 2017), and Pixar ($608 domestic for Incredibles 2). Everyone always says vote with your wallets... and the public did. Personally these seems like a good way to make decisions to me, make what the public is already showing extreme interest in. If the funds that would have been used to make 17 cherry tree lane go into a proper incredible land or an awesome Dr. Strange ride, I would be very happy.

wedenterprises

The fandom did not demand anything more as shown by the box office of 171 million domestically. What the fandom is demanding is marvel (Infinity war alone is at $670 mil domestic), star wars ($620 mil domestic in 2017), and Pixar ($608 domestic for Incredibles 2). Everyone always says vote with your wallets... and the public did. Personally these seems like a good way to make decisions to me, make what the public is already showing extreme interest in. If the funds that would have been used to make 17 cherry tree lane go into a proper incredible land or an awesome Dr. Strange ride, I would be very happy.

Bob?

doctornick

While I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near ths far, I actually do think that people here overestimate the "fandom" of Mary Poppins (the original). Anecdotally, I don't think it has the kind of multi-generational resonance that many of the (animated) Disney classics have. Part of that, ironically, could be the lack of a strong theme park presence to reinforce the IP. I think it is more of a thing that younger generations are "aware of" more than "love".

I could be wrong of course, but I think the underwhelming box office for the sequel reflects apathy more than discontent.

Purduevian

Nope, I'm just probably someone Disney is trying to target with their expansions.
-Mid 20s
-Still new to paying for my own vacations (going this month and wow is Disney Expensive)
-Getting ready to start a family (Family vacations are money makers)
-Refer to the OG Mary Poppins as "Scary Mary" (Hated that movie as a kid and don't know anyone my age that loves it), didn't see the new one.
-See every Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar movie opening weekend (Toy Story 4 is great!)

I feel like most of Poppins fandom has already decided whether or not they are Disney Vacation people and the addition of a ride would not sway them one way or the other... The movie is 55 years old! They still need to convince people my age that if I spend 10k for a week long family vacation, that it should be in central Florida and not Europe, Hawaii, or Mexico. Marvel, Pixar, Pirates, Star Wars, ect. are things that would push me towards spending money at Disney World, not Poppins.

I'm going with my fiance next month (hasn't been to WDW is ~10 years). She is most looking forward to Frozen, Lion king, Toy Story Land, Buzz Lightyear, BatB show, LM show, and Nemo ride/show. These are all things from our childhood, and I don't blame Disney for targeting us, we are the most long term money they can go after. The IP mandate gets a lot of hate on these forums, and I get it. My favorite attractions are mostly not IP based. However, I can absolutely understand from a business perspective that GOTG roller coaster will sell way more tickets than Western River Expansion.

Last edited:

jt04

Nope, I'm just probably someone Disney is trying to target with their expansions.
-Mid 20s
-Still new to paying for my own vacations (going this month and wow is Disney Expensive)
-Getting ready to start a family (Family vacations are money makers)
-Refer to the OG Mary Poppins as "Scary Mary" (Hated that movie as a kid and don't know anyone my age that loves it), didn't see the new one.
-See every Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar movie opening weekend (Toy Story 4 is great!)

I feel like most of Poppins fandom has already decided whether or not they are Disney Vacation people and the addition of a ride would not sway them one way or the other... The movie is 55 years old! They still need to convince people my age that if I spend 10k for a week long family vacation, that it should be in central Florida and not Europe, Hawaii, or Mexico. Marvel, Pixar, Pirates, Star Wars, ect. are things that would push me towards spending money at Disney World, not Poppins.

I'm going with my fiance next month (hasn't been to WDW is ~10 years). She is most looking forward to Frozen, Lion king, Toy Story Land, Buzz Lightyear, BatB show, LM show, and Nemo ride/show. These are all things from our childhood, and I don't blame Disney for targeting us, we are the most long term money they can go after. The IP mandate gets a lot of hate on these forums, and I get it. My favorite attractions are mostly not IP based. However, I can absolutely understand from a business perspective that GOTG roller coaster will sell way more tickets than Western River Expansion.

Impressed you are aware of the WRE. Though the IP debate doesn't change the fact that Disney needs to find a solution for the BTMRR dead-end crowd flow problem eventually. IMO.

jt04

No matter what they plan for the UK they should also consider moving the tea cups from the MK.

PS- it doesn't have to be the same system. The new ones can open the same day the old ones close. Then sold or scrapped or relocated. This really would help with MK traffic flow.

HauntedMansionFLA

No matter what they plan for the UK they should also consider moving the tea cups from the MK.

PS- it doesn't have to be the same system. The new ones can open the same day the old ones close. Then sold or scrapped or relocated. This really would help with MK traffic flow.
Tea cups and a carousel would be lovely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom