News Roger E. Broggie overhaul

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
The Roger E. Broggie has recently left WDW and is currently at Strasburg for his overhaul. He was loaded up on a flatbed truck and departed the roundhouse early on the morning of Wednesday 6-12-19.

DDEC3DD8-2605-4D2D-976E-F99B1322BDFD.png

8E04823A-5B38-4709-9A62-57DBE4D5B9B3.png

His smokestack, sand dome, part of his steam dome, whistle, bell, boiler and number plates, and cow catcher were removed. His name on the side of the cab has also been covered.

D7663415-953F-42EC-9E48-A66B14BD51C5.jpeg

He arrived at Strasburg where he’ll receive a new boiler and firebox, along with an electronic igniter and a computerized safety system. The steam generators on the back of the tender will also be replaced with batteries.

34E5678D-936D-43F1-8BD2-2B16F7E97ACF.jpeg

He will return to WDW sometime between 2022-2023, but that could change. The Walter E. Disney is also at Strasburg and has been there since November of 2016. His return to WDW has been moved back to December of this year.

A huge thank you to @EricsBiscuit for providing information on the move and an update on Walter.

TrojanUSC

The Roger E. Broggie has recently left WDW and is currently at Strasburg for his overhaul. He was loaded up on a flatbed truck and departed the roundhouse early on the morning of Wednesday 6-12-19.

View attachment 382877
View attachment 382876

His smokestack, sand dome, part of his steam dome, whistle, bell, boiler and number plates, and cow catcher were removed. His name on the side of the cab has also been covered.

View attachment 382874

He arrived at Strasburg where he’ll receive a new boiler and firebox, along with an electronic igniter and a computerized safety system. The steam generators on the back of the tender will also be replaced with batteries.

View attachment 382875

He will return to WDW sometime between 2022-2023, but that could change. The Walter E. Disney is also at Strasburg and has been there since November of 2016. His return to WDW has been moved back to December of this year.

A huge thank you to @EricsBiscuit for providing information on the move and an update on Walter.

Thanks for the update. Let's hope it doesn't come back with Toy Story characters on it. 😂

trainplane3

Wow, I didn't realize how much care goes into the trains, and I can't imagine its cheap either.
Here's a good reference to look at to understand the amount of work:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/walter-e-disney-overhaul-updates-photos-updated-12-9-18.939874/
The first picture should tell you everything.

Always love seeing Strasburg get more work. They're a great facility with a great museum and nice sightseeing route.

eliza61nyc

Here's a good reference to look at to understand the amount of work:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/walter-e-disney-overhaul-updates-photos-updated-12-9-18.939874/
The first picture should tell you everything.

Always love seeing Strasburg get more work. They're a great facility with a great museum and nice sightseeing route.

I took my kids to Strasburg to ride the railroad when they were younger. They were huge, huge Thomas the tank engine fans. the entire area is really lovely.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
and I can't imagine its cheap either.
Anywhere from $500,000 - $5,000,000, if not more. That's why Lilly sat at Strasburg for 6 years. Disney didn't want to pay the $4,000,000 it took to overhaul her, so Strasburg stopped all work on her. It took about a year or two for Disney and Strasburg to agree on a final price, then work resumed.

John park hopper

I agree. When they took sails off ships, steam off trains, and propellers off airplanes they ruined all three....
Could not agree with you more. My time in Vietnam we had 2 WW II A1E Sky Raiders (single engine prop close air support fighter) I would sit on the revetments at night and watch them take off the sound and flames coming out of the exhaust pipes --awsome. Get the same thrill from watching and hearing a steam locomotive -- wife is convinced I'm nuts

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Anywhere from $500,000 - $5,000,000, if not more. That's why Lilly sat at Strasburg for 6 years. Disney didn't want to pay the $4,000,000 it took to overhaul her, so Strasburg stopped all work on her. It took about a year or two for Disney and Strasburg to agree on a final price, then work resumed.
That's incredible but I realize it is most likely very complicated work that takes a very special skill set to perform.

Phil12

How embarrassing. The poor train can't get there on its own by way of rail. It has to rely upon a truck and the highway system to get an overhaul.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
There is nothing like the sound of a steam locomotive, I hope they keep them running forever

I enjoy listening to the various sounds of the whistles, (all different, depending upon the make, model, and year of the steam locomotive).

Until a few years ago, I was unaware of just how many different tones there were. There's some YouTube videos that highlight a number of different train whistle sounds -- fun to hear, and very cool. :cool:

John park hopper

There was show on RFDTV used to watch it when we had dish. it was all about running steam locomotives gave the history of the engines and what class engine it was and what lines they are still running on. One of the shows I miss since we gave up dish

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom