Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

jt04

I’m not justifying the land or defending, just was stating that unfortunately they don’t have to worry much about trying to get people there because well they are.

If they were talking about Storybook Circus or Dinorama I could sort of see the point of calling them cheap. TSL is not at that level. Not even close.

PizzaPlanet

I don’t think they’re worried about people coming back, it’s the busiest land in the park currently in a park that’s only about to get even busier.
Ok, but when guests can't get into SWGE, maybe a trip back to this 11 year old ride will feel like less of a consolation prize if there were brand new games to play.

It'll be crowded either way, but an update could help with guest satisfaction.

Magenta Panther

I'm almost surprised that we haven't seen some sort of update for TSM to coincide with the release of TS4 like when the last film came out. Not only would it promote the release of their new movie, it would also create a renewed interest in the attraction and TSL in general.

Seems like a no brainer, especially for a company that loves their synergy so much.

I just got a vision of a giant walk-around Forky….:eek:

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm almost surprised that we haven't seen some sort of update for TSM to coincide with the release of TS4 like when the last film came out. Not only would it promote the release of their new movie, it would also create a renewed interest in the attraction and TSL in general.

Seems like a no brainer, especially for a company that loves their synergy so much.

All they would have to do is remove Trixie & Rex segment and put back the original game that was there...
30f5e78617c5b749e094610598fa379a.jpg

Kman101

Actually the #1 thing I would like to see added is Jessie’s Carousel. That would be a great addition both kinetic energy wise, and a ride people could ride without a fastpass+ reservation..... hopefully.

Yeah, I agree with this. They missed out not adding a carousel to the land and this fits. I know Pixar Pier already had a carousel to retheme but it looks so tacky there (IMO). It would have gone in great with a western themed entrance ... if only that western theme wasn't cut.

There was just a lot of missed opportunity with this land and that's a shame. What's there isn't bad, although I do understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. Plastic toys and imagining yourself in a backyard just don't translate that well to a theme park land. They could have at least padded it out with some more flat rides. They could have moved Space Ranger Spin and re-themed Midway Mania .... so many things they could have done ...

And not towards you, but people need to understand that even if some of us are critical of the land, we just know it could have been even better than it is. Much better. That doesn't make what's there awful, at least to me. But YMMV ;)

I got to visit TSL for the first time last week, and I thought it was very cute! I didn't get that much out of the concept art and photos I'd seen, but I was definitely happy walking around the area. I liked Slinky Dog Dash, but wanted it to be longer. Alien Swirling Saucers was somewhat enjoyable, but I probably won't ever ride it again unless its a walk on.
The biggest complaint I have is just about the same as everyone else; the lack of shade. However, I wonder if it was intentional to stop guests from spending too much time in the area.

Kman101

I got to visit TSL for the first time last week, and I thought it was very cute! I didn't get that much out of the concept art and photos I'd seen, but I was definitely happy walking around the area. I liked Slinky Dog Dash, but wanted it to be longer. Alien Swirling Saucers was somewhat enjoyable, but I probably won't ever ride it again unless its a walk on.
The biggest complaint I have is just about the same as everyone else; the lack of shade. However, I wonder if it was intentional to stop guests from spending too much time in the area.

I think lack of shade (and they used to have a lack of seating but that's slowly improving over time) is definitely intentional. Maybe trees and greenery are also "easy" things to cut from the budget? I get wanting that perfect picture or instagram shot, but they could really have been a lot more clever with this 'backyard' theme. I also just don't think they quite get the demand WDW has. You can't put in a land with one quick service that has two registers, for example, and no indoor shop. I mean, even Disneyland, in beautiful Sunny California, gives their guests shade. Tables at food and wine have umbrellas, stages have shade structures (not at the moment though) ... I mean, they couldn't even put up a shade structure for the trams! I know it's petty but come on, it's not hard. Go out of the way just a little bit for your guests even if you think it's not "worth it". Sure, you're not likely waiting long for a tram, but if the idea is to improve the look and make guests more comfortable ... at least the new area looks better so there's that ...

Lots of Galaxy's Edge feels barren too (while also having lush areas, but the walkways are free and clear and full in the sun, minus the marketplace, which also seems open from above in spots ... Should be fun in 103 degrees in August.

I know folks give Animal Kingdom heck for being a sweat box because of all of the trees, but I'll take lush forests anyday ...

Anyway ... trees are NOT a bad thing. The new hub in MK would look ten times better with some larger trees. But heaven forbid we block a view of the castle from way down by the train station.

Cmdr_Crimson

I think lack of shade (and they used to have a lack of seating but that's slowly improving over time) is definitely intentional. Maybe trees and greenery are also "easy" things to cut from the budget? I get wanting that perfect picture or instagram shot, but they could really have been a lot more clever with this 'backyard' theme. I also just don't think they quite get the demand WDW has. You can't put in a land with one quick service that has two registers, for example, and no indoor shop. I mean, even Disneyland, in beautiful Sunny California, gives their guests shade. Tables at food and wine have umbrellas, stages have shade structures (not at the moment though) ... I mean, they couldn't even put up a shade structure for the trams! I know it's petty but come on, it's not hard. Go out of the way just a little bit for your guests even if you think it's not "worth it". Sure, you're not likely waiting long for a tram, but if the idea is to improve the look and make guests more comfortable ... at least the new area looks better so there's that ...

Lots of Galaxy's Edge feels barren too (while also having lush areas, but the walkways are free and clear and full in the sun, minus the marketplace, which also seems open from above in spots ... Should be fun in 103 degrees in August.

I know folks give Animal Kingdom heck for being a sweat box because of all of the trees, but I'll take lush forests anyday ...

Anyway ... trees are NOT a bad thing. The new hub in MK would look ten times better with some larger trees. But heaven forbid we block a view of the castle from way down by the train station.
It would have been nice for them to have repurposed the clovers from a Bugs Land and brought them there..
a2d962b1-b578-4fa0-bbc2-7e463fd81f8d_d.JPG

DinoInstitute

It would have been nice for them to have repurposed the clovers from a Bugs Land and brought them there..
a2d962b1-b578-4fa0-bbc2-7e463fd81f8d_d.JPG
I feel like those would be out of place size-wise. Granted, the scale in the land isn’t exactly perfect anyway, but I think the clovers would be way too big for TSL.

Honestly, just adding some more trees throughout the land/Slinky queue would probably suffice. Throw in Al’s Toy Barn from Shanghai and the land will be pretty well off.

DCLcruiser

The theming was great at TSL. The Slinky-Dog theming brought back on memories of toys from the 80-90s. Even down to the old green price tags stickers.

We could use at least one more E ticket ride.

mm52200

The sad part with the quick service is that it didn’t even reclaim the capacity lost from when Studio Catering Co closed, which while outside, had lots of covered seating and multiple registers. So now they open a quick service in a brand new land with only two registers, a few tables in the sun; but then have an entire permanent outdoor covered extended queue for Toy Story Mania which is never used...could have utilized that space better.

Cmdr_Crimson

I feel like those would be out of place size-wise. Granted, the scale in the land isn’t exactly perfect anyway, but I think the clovers would be way too big for TSL.

Honestly, just adding some more trees throughout the land/Slinky queue would probably suffice. Throw in Al’s Toy Barn from Shanghai and the land will be pretty well off.
Heck even the Tall grass from the former HISTK movie set could have worked..
Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Kids-Adventure-Zone_Full_27242.jpg

ToTBellHop

Heck even the Tall grass from the former HISTK movie set could have worked..
Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Kids-Adventure-Zone_Full_27242.jpg
I find the real foliage in TSL to be superb.
1A2D8CD3-402C-4FE6-8F22-757DFBB8AB43.jpeg

Exquisite. Looks exactly like a toy set in an overgrown yard. Cartoony, plastic grass would remove the realism. The toys are cartoony because they are toys, but the “grass” needs to be real. The lack of overhead shade is being addressed but the outdoor queues should have been completely covered. Summer weather in Florida is known to guests before they book a vacation, but the parks have traditionally taken better care of guests waiting in line.

HoldenC

View attachment 381795

Exquisite. Looks exactly like a toy set in an overgrown yard. Cartoony, plastic grass would remove the realism. The toys are cartoony because they are toys, but the “grass” needs to be real. The lack of overhead shade is being addressed but the outdoor queues should have been completely covered. Summer weather in Florida is known to guests before they book a vacation, but the parks have traditionally taken better care of guests waiting in line.
And it has since grown in quite nicely too and will no doubt look better as the years go on!

RSoxNo1

View attachment 381795

The high grasses look really good for what isn't the best theme. I just wish they had incorporated a Speedway style attraction in and around the coaster.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Park versions of movie IPs exist in their own alternate dimension where events of the movies sometimes mash together. Cf. every dead villain alive and well in the parks; also, Belle addressed as a princess even though Adam is still a beast... she didn't marry him in his beastly form.

Disney has even gone out of their way to say the Marvel properties in the parks do not exist in the MCU, but their own Marvel Parks Universe.

The desire to match a park presentation of an IP to a specific chronological moment in a specific movie has hardly ever been followed in the past, nor present, nor will it be in the future.

This is all a direct result of the snap, and the resulting multiverse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom