News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Lensman

Do we need a launched, indoor coaster next to a launched, mostly indoor coaster?
You have a point.

The launch aspect is the only thing that will be different "now", right, though?

I tend to prefer launched coasters over chain lift coaster and I think it would be more appropriate to the concept of a trip to space, as is the theme of Space Mountain.

BTW, why would it have to go from two tracks to one in the conversion to launched?

ToTBellHop

You have a point.

The launch aspect is the only thing that will be different "now", right, though?

I tend to prefer launched coasters over chain lift coaster and I think it would be more appropriate to the concept of a trip to space, as is the theme of Space Mountain.

BTW, why would it have to go from two tracks to one in the conversion to launched?
I think Disney will have more than enough launched coasters after Guardians and TRON open. I like variety and at least Space isn’t 3 lifts in a row like at Disneyland.

The tracks are pretty compact. I can’t imagine a launch allowing such tight turns to remain as they aren’t going to launch to 10 mph.

jt04

You have a point.

Modern steel coasters have a larger footprint than an old fashioned mouse style coasters.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It should only take a third of the time that Disney spends. Look how quickly the Hagrid coaster, with many more show scenes and complexities than Tron, was up and running from the time that Dragon Challenge closed. Disney drags their feet in order to spend as little money as possible by purposely and slowly stretching construction through as many fiscal years as possible.

ToTBellHop

Modern steel coasters have a larger footprint than an old fashioned mouse style coasters.
Exactly. Look at Mine Train and Slinky Dog (and now Hagrid). To be fair, with WDW’s “blessing of size”, it shouldn’t need compact coasters. If we got a new track, I’d want a big one that fills the entire mountain with new effects. But my first choice would be to stay classic—two new coaster tracks with the same layout (but modern improvements like banking), on-ride audio, and 21st century effects. It wouldn’t be THAT expensive. They already have the building and updated the queue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've seen photos of the land clearing. I just don't sell things at 100% until an official announcement is made.

You mean you were one of the types that didn't think BayLake tower was happening, while for ages the monorail wizzed by the construction site Disney wouldn't acknowledge?

Or if you really want to put weight behind 'announcements'.. your standards aren't as strong as you think..
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...perion-wharf-among-plans-for-downtown-disney/

Clearly nothing is done until its done... but also, it's obvious UNI has a plan and is acting on it. They aren't doing site prep for fun...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If it had a launch, it would likely have to go from two tracks to one.

I'm not getting how a launch forces there to be one track rather than two. Doesn't a launch take up the same or less space than a hill-climb?

And thematically, wouldn't a launch be more suited to a space-themed coaster than a clanky pull up hill?

Buried20KLeague

You mean you were one of the types that didn't think BayLake tower was happening, while for ages the monorail wizzed by the construction site Disney wouldn't acknowledge?

Or if you really want to put weight behind 'announcements'.. your standards aren't as strong as you think..
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...perion-wharf-among-plans-for-downtown-disney/

Clearly nothing is done until its done... but also, it's obvious UNI has a plan and is acting on it. They aren't doing site prep for fun...

You’re wrong. Proof is the current theatre being built at the MK...

Oh wait.

No Name

Plus Space Mountain can never be perfect until it is a launched coaster.

Which has the added benefit of increasing capacity btw.

That in itself would not increase capacity. The time spacing between the trains wouldn’t be shorter if they go up the lift hill faster.

Of course it’s a null point because a launch would require a very different track and vehicles, and it’s a null point because that’s just a horrendous idea.

I'm not getting how a launch forces there to be one track rather than two. Doesn't a launch take up the same or less space than a hill-climb?

And thematically, wouldn't a launch be more suited to a space-themed coaster than a clanky pull up hill?

A launch would require a different style track which would absolutely take up more space than a tight wild mouse style coaster. There’s no way they could fit two decent launch coasters in there.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The ride’s current top speed does not make sense to me with a launch. And greater speed would not allow such tight turns. Is it technically possible? Sure. That’s just not how I’ve seen launched coasters designed. A launch into tight turns would be painful. A launch that merely gets you to the top of the mountain sounds completely unnecessary as it would require a completely different ride system for little gain. A slow launch doesn’t make the rocket launch significantly more believable, especially at the resort with Mission: Space.

I prefer to keep classic Space Mountain if they are building a modern launched coaster next door. TRON was built as Shanghai’s Space Mountain. If they convert our Space Mountain to that of Paris, it makes the placement of TRON next door more nonsensical.

Rich Brownn

Well forgive me for waiting until something is officially announced to believe it is a 100% legit done deal. That's just how I see things. I do indeed believe Universal is building a third park. But if it turns out it's something else, I can't say I'm incredibly shocked given a third park has not been announced yet.
What has a bearing is whether or not there is an announced completion date.
Announced completion date = we'd better make that date or else people are angry
Unannounced completion date = we should make it by this date but if it needs to be pushed back, we can do so without a public fallout
They basically alluded to the new park in a shareholders meeting. Universal tends to announce things when construction has started. Disney likes to announce things years before they open.

jt04

That in itself would not increase capacity. The time spacing between the trains wouldn’t be shorter if they go up the lift hill faster.

Of course it’s a null point because a launch would require a very different track and vehicles, and it’s a null point because that’s just a horrendous idea.

A launch would require a different style track which would absolutely take up more space than a tight wild mouse style coaster. There’s no way they could fit two decent launch coasters in there.

I have always thought the Disneyland coaster is not a mouse 🐁 coaster.

The irony.

No Name

I think I'm thinking that there is no rule that SM has to be a mouse coaster. Just my opinion.

Oh there is no rule but I think MK’s Space Mountain is absolutely better.

Ironically, part of the reason DL’s SM is not the double wild mouse style coaster that MK’s is is because the Matterhorn was already built nearby. But see, they were clearly being nonsensical back then. Today’s Disney should have two launch coasters with relatively similar interior aesthetics right next to each other!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom