Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

That's the perenial favourite excuse for something being poor and cheap - 'IT'S FOR KIDS !!!!!'.

Seems like Disney have a ready made excuse for making cheap rubbish - THINK OF THE KIDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Making a family friendly area, suitable for children doesn't mean anything should be rubbish.
I don’t think Slinky Dog is a kiddie coaster and I know it wasn’t cheap.

Its launch gives it a top speed greater than all four coasters in Magic Kingdom.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
It's cheap and lazy.

The irony in all this is that Toy Story is such a huge franchise, almost cultural shifting in moments (if you think back when the first one came out, 'to infinity and beyond' and all that), and it still has legs to be huge for decades to come - yet it's use in Disney in parks is synomous for being cheap and rubbish - from Paris to Hong Kong - each Toy Story section is just horrendous.

If you actually compare Slinky to Hagrid Coaster it's almost shameful.

I think a big problem is that the Toy Story areas in the parks fail to capture anything from the movies. You would think being a toy is all fun and games from TSL. No danger from Sid, trash compactors or the fear of being left behind. Did the Imagineers watch the movies at all?

ToTBellHop

I think a big problem is that the Toy Story areas in the parks fail to capture anything from the movies. You would think being a toy is all fun and games from TSL. No danger from Sid, trash compactors or the fear of being left behind. Did the Imagineers watch the movies at all?
Apparently they are set during the years when Andy just played. Not all of his childhood had conflict. I’m sure things will get dark in TS4 when Andy talks with his toys about his imminent divorce because he just isn’t ready for kids. Hopefully they can capture that in the new restaurant.

ToTBellHop

It's a generic coaster that is seen in millions of local parks around the world. The difference being this uses an IP, puts a dog at the front and a nice coat of paint.

Some people are behaving as if a launch is some ground breaking, exclusive sensation that Disney discovered. There is literally no themeing to this coaster whatsoever.

And going back to the bad old days of making a queue without themeing - that is a disgusting scandal.
I don’t think you fully understand the word “generic”. Or “millions”. Or “literally”. Or “themeing [sic]”.

It’s a one-of-a-kind, custom coaster. But obviously you didn’t care for it. And that is fine. But you are making untrue generalizations that sell the coaster a little short. It’s not Hagrid but it also isn’t Primeval Whirl.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The lack of shade is to re-create the almost-burned-alive scene.

Now, *there's* your drama!

DanielBB8

They didn’t watch Star Wars either.

PizzaPlanet

I'm almost surprised that we haven't seen some sort of update for TSM to coincide with the release of TS4 like when the last film came out. Not only would it promote the release of their new movie, it would also create a renewed interest in the attraction and TSL in general.

Seems like a no brainer, especially for a company that loves their synergy so much.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
This makes no sense? Who's Backyard is this? I'm still going that it's Bonnie's backyard...As her toys are in TSM and now being put outside..IE Forky..

Park versions of movie IPs exist in their own alternate dimension where events of the movies sometimes mash together. Cf. every dead villain alive and well in the parks; also, Belle addressed as a princess even though Adam is still a beast... she didn't marry him in his beastly form.

Disney has even gone out of their way to say the Marvel properties in the parks do not exist in the MCU, but their own Marvel Parks Universe.

The desire to match a park presentation of an IP to a specific chronological moment in a specific movie has hardly ever been followed in the past, nor present, nor will it be in the future.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'm almost surprised that we haven't seen some sort of update for TSM to coincide with the release of TS4 like when the last film came out. Not only would it promote the release of their new movie, it would also create a renewed interest in the attraction and TSL in general.

Seems like a no brainer, especially for a company that loves their synergy so much.

There's a Bo Peep M&G, a Forky, and a pop-up store...

And a promise of a restaurant...

jt04

I don’t think they’re worried about people coming back, it’s the busiest land in the park currently in a park that’s only about to get even busier.

It will be overwhelmed with crowds for a long time. I think this is one of the main reasons Ratatouille is being accelerated.

mm52200

Busy and crowds doesn't equate to quality.

Orlando is one of the most unique family destinations in the world - almost has a monopoly on this sort of vacation. Toy Story Land and it's cheapness harms tourism.

But i'm sure Disney and it's fan boys will be coming out with the usual justification for anything cheap - 'IT'S FOR KIDS!!!' It's the to go excuse for whenever Disney's corporation machine take over creativity and produce cheap trash.
I’m not justifying the land or defending, just was stating that unfortunately they don’t have to worry much about trying to get people there because well they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom