Trip Report THE ONE FOR MOTHER’S DAY IN MAY (duh)🥑COMPLETE🥑

Welcome home!
Said no one in my house upon my return.

Who went? Well.....if you have read any of my previous trip reports (Christmas, February, March and April) you know I multitask when in Florida. This trip was no different. My oldest son, X, was finishing up his second year of college in SoFlo and I went down to help him pack up and move out.
The original plan (why is there always a plan A, B.. etc?) was to pack him up, drive his truck to WDW and put it on a transport. Then we would spend a few days in WDW and fly home. I even bought the plane tickets. But, do you know how much it cost to transport his car from Florida to Long Island? Just north of OMG!!!! Plan B: no transport, no flight home. We would be driving. We also had to trim 1.5 days from our Disney stay to allow for travel time. (Heavy sigh)

We stayed at Saratoga Springs in a studio,
May 10-13. I bought him a two day park hopper as he does not have an AP like the rest of the family.

Ok, we have the who, what, where, when and why. Lets get to it!

DAY ONE/MAY 10
I woke up at 4:00 am and left the house at 4:43. Ant drove me to the airport and we got there at 4:57 (he was driving slow this morning). My flight was at 6:10 going into Fort Lauderdale. My son’s school is equidistant between FLL and West Palm (PBI) and they both have the early morning flight. One is 6:00am and one is 6:10am so I usually book the cheapest. However, if I am renting a car I prefer FLL. PBI has their car rental offsite and it can be a hassel.

The morning before, at 6:10am I had checked in and gotten A37😮. What? I havent seen the A’s since SW started charging for better boarding assignments. Maybe the flight is empty?

The flight was not empty! The announcement came that there would be about 10 empty seats. I sat in an aisle in row 4. ROW 4!!!!
There was a gentleman at the window and our middle seat remained empty. Go figure. I have decided that I do not love sitting up that close. I am not sure why but it felt different, bumpier or something. Perhaps I was thrown off because I had a shortened horizon to look at? Or maybe I am just used to the back? Who knows.

It was an uneventful flight and we landed 20 minutes early. My son had a 10:00am final (seriously, who gives finals on the very last day of class?) and couldn’t be there when I landed. I could wait but it would take him 30 minutes each way which would have us close to noon. We still had a few trips to make to the storage unit and I wanted to be on the road to Disney by 1:00. We decided I would Uber.

Walking to the ride share area I passed the shuttle for the tri-rail. The tri-rail is a train that originates in Miami. I am not sure how far north it goes, I think it goes to West Palm. Thus the tri, as in three airports (I think). Anyhow, there is a station not 5 minutes from my son’s school. I made a mental note to look into that for next time.

I found Marco, my Uber driver and said, “hello, how are you today?” He said, “NO English”. Great. We hit some traffic and my 30 minute $36 drive became a 45 minute just shy of $50 (with tip) drive. On the plus side, I had time to research the tri-rail. If I read correctly there is a Free shuttle from FLL to the station and my trip to Boca Raton would cost $5! and take 30 minutes. Sorry Marco. No more Uber from FLL for me!

I had Marco drop me at a Dunkin Donuts near my sons school. (Yes, @VincciL , the one on Yamato). I got a tea and an egg sandwich and sat at a table outside.
415A5CA5-7670-4FED-A244-535627AF655A.jpeg

D86F8398-A580-4E45-B56F-52BFAC308651.jpeg

87ACDBA1-69DC-464A-ADDD-85F2AB685EE9.jpeg

It sprinkled the entire time. Of course it did. It’s ME!!! This picture is of the sprinkles on the table.
663C240E-22D0-4E61-B394-F2A9D8F77CE5.jpeg

This picture is of a lovely palm tree I was sitting under.
400B5237-670A-4B96-BB7E-46B33C652375.jpeg

I do love palm trees.

I was sitting there, eating, checking TR’s to see what @Back!Elbow!Shoulders! @NunuBelle and @NothatDonald were up to in their livish reports. I also knew @Tuvalu had left the day before and wanted to see if she made it home safely. A man pulls into a parking spot just in front of me. Then another man drives up and words are exchanged. Man1 cut off man2 or something. Man1 invites man2 to say it to his face. Man2 parks. Man1 gets out of his car and he is a huge bald guy (why are the always bald?) Man2 gets out of his car and he is smaller than man1 but not small. They are yelling, cursing etc. Man1 gets in man2’s face. Man2 pushes man1 away. Uh oh. Do I call 911? This is not going to end well. Man1 just keeps going back in man2’s face. Man 2 is, esentially cornered and keeps pushing man1 away. What do I do? Millers Ale house had just opened and I was hoping someone in there, having dealt with belligerent drunks, would know what to do. A scrawny, barely post pubescent guy comes out of Millers. Really? But another guy and his wife happen to be walking by and the guy (we can call him guy3) is bigger than man1 and man2 put together. Now man1 is throwing out racial slurs (man2 is hispanic man1 has to be a FLID) guy3 puts himself between the men. Man2 says he just wanted a cup of coffee. Guy3 says “I will buy you that cup of coffee” and walks him into DD with his arm still around him. Man1 turns to run his errand, notices me for the first time and says “sorry, that was bad” then went into Jersey Mikes to get his sandwich.

All before 11:00am.

bee

My wife works at a university and she deals with sooooo many kids (yes they're in college but they are kids) who have their parents call or come to their advising appointments for them. She's even had transfer students do this, and they have already been in college for 2+ years. Yes M and I are millennials but we are on the older side of millennials who actually remember a time before everyone had the internet, and our parents certainly never tried to go to our meetings for us!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I also find myself talking with strangers a lot no matter where we go and my daughters (who are in their early 30's) roll their eyes at me all the time. My younger daughter and I went to Charleston, SC last month to celebrate her birthday and I literally talked to every Uber driver until we would reach our destination. She told me she never says a word to any driver (she lives in NYC) and can't understand why I like to talk so much. Maybe it comes with age that you just don't care and are willing to talk with anyone.;) Hopefully, X will get up the nerve to talk with your neighbor about the prospective summer job! We ate at Kona Café last year and had the worst experience ever. We both decided the atmosphere was lacking and the food was pretty bad so we won't be returning anytime soon for sure. You're a good mama though and X will remember all the wonderful things that you have done for him when he gets older. Hope you felt ok at bedtime after all that late night food!:oops:
Thank you so much.
Kona Cafe’s atmosphere is really bad. And the uniforms. Ugggh. They have a chance to do something really cool but they pick the ugliest colors and most unattractive cuts and styles. For both the decor and the uniforms. And the dinner menu. Like I said, it is all over the place. Kona needs a huge make over!!!
And New Yorkers dont talk to people. Maybe thats why I talk when I am on vacay, because no one talks to me IRL😎

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My wife works at a university and she deals with sooooo many kids (yes they're in college but they are kids) who have their parents call or come to their advising appointments for them. She's even had transfer students do this, and they have already been in college for 2+ years. Yes M and I are millennials but we are on the older side of millennials who actually remember a time before everyone had the internet, and our parents certainly never tried to go to our meetings for us!
I don't think you are a millennial. Aren't they younger? (Not calling you old btw!)
Ha! I just googled it! You are in fact a millenial. It is the post millenials (born 1997- present) that are the, ummm, chosing words carefully...
Poor millenials getting a bad wrap when in fact it is the post millenials!!!
(Gosh I sound old! Well, I am a generation Xer)

bee

I don't think you are a millennial. Aren't they younger? (Not calling you old btw!)
Ha! I just googled it! You are in fact a millenial. It is the post millenials (born 1997- present) that are the, ummm, chosing words carefully...
Yep, we are right in the middle of millennial land! Don’t worry, everyone uses “millennial” to mean “someone who is younger than me and annoys me” regardless of their actual age! 😄

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Yep, we are right in the middle of millennial land! Don’t worry, everyone uses “millennial” to mean “someone who is younger than me and annoys me” regardless of their actual age! 😄

Your definition is spot on. My coworkers grumble to/with me about millennials and then remember I am one too but “one of the good ones” apparently. 😎😂

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Your definition is spot on. My coworkers grumble to/with me about millennials and then remember I am one too but “one of the good ones” apparently. 😎😂
Or as the comedian Iliza Shlesinger calls us....”elder millennials” 😂
I for one have been using it incorrectly!
If someone is a good/bad egg they are a good/bad egg regardless of their age.
It reminds me of a shirt one of my floor mates had in college. “I MAY BE FAT BUT YOU’RE A D*** AND I CAN ALWAYS LOOSE WEIGHT”
(Asterisks are mine-but you get the point)

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY TWO/MAY 11 cont

After dinner we took the monorail back to MK and boarded a bus for SSR. It was 10:15 and we were pretty tired (and hungry😎).

We got to SSR quickly but the driver missed our stop!!! He just blew by it. The Congress Park stop is off the main road (as many of the stops are) so I can see him having a brain fart but at the same time I cant. He realized his mistake and put on the brakes, “anyone for Congress Park?”
“YES!” I wanted to make sure he heard me. There were only a few other people left on the bus.
I said, “just stop here”.
He said, “No”.
The next stop was The Springs, the mainish stop. I thought about getting off and walking but it was far, and we were tired. He drove around again and delivered us to our stop.
It was now after 11:00 (heavy sighhh).
We washed up, put out our stuff for the morning and went to sleep.

As an aside but related:
In my last post I was talking about a funny t-shirt from college and it got me thinking.
I love a good t-shirt. I like the matching families and the creativity involved. I know not every one respects a good t-shirt but I do. With that in mind I saw some good ones in the MK that day. I did not take pix because that would be weird!

Hakuna my Vodka
It means no memories for the rest of the day

In dog beers
I have only had one

Hmmm, I sense a theme here.

And this beauty X wore to work today:
C312E4EE-3FAC-407F-A0AE-0591A9B775EE.jpeg

Songbird76

Sometimes it's not the millennials' fault though. I'm not a millennial, actually, but when I graduated from high school, I applied everywhere for a summer job. We were pretty poor, and I had gotten scholarships for tuition and fees, but I still had to pay my room and board for college, so I needed to work through the summer to get money saved up. So I brought my resume EVERYWHERE....restaurants, stores, etc. The only response I got was for the city pool in the next town over, so I took it. After working for a couple of weeks in the concession stand, the boss called me and the other guy in to say they didn't need 2 people in the mornings when they only had lap swim...no one was buying concessions during that time, and it was a waste of money to pay two people, so they would switch us every other day. But that meant we wouldn't get 40 hours a week. It was a bummer, but I was still getting something like 34 hours, and it was only for the Summer and I couldn't afford to be picky because I had no other job prospects. My mom refused to accept it and demanded that I go tell my boss she had to give me more hours because I was trying to save money for college. I told her they didn't have the work for us, and the other guy needed the hours, too...they couldn't just give me all the hours and let him find a new job, and I didn't feel like I had any leverage. They hired a bunch of local teens for a Summer only job...for every kid who got hired, there are 5 more who didn't, so there would be no problem replacing me. The next morning, I got to work and my boss greeted me with "I hear you're not happy with your hours." She must have been able to see on my face how livid and embarrassed I was when I told her it wasn't ME who wasn't happy, it was my mom. She had called my boss while I drove to work and demanded that she give me more hours. The boss was ready to fire me when I walked in the door. If it hadn't been for my obvious anger that my mom had called, she would have fired me. I was SOOOO mad. My mom refused to admit that she had over-stepped her bounds. I wasn't going to do anything about it, so she had to. That's what she said. And she did not have any remorse for almost getting me fired. My boss was kind enough to allow me to skip lunch and breaks to get a couple more hours to appease my mother. So sometimes it's a controlling parent, not an incompetent "kid".

sheriffwoody

YEP. I'm a millennial too. We get crapped on all the time for stuff that Gen Z does. But like any generation, there's a wide variety of us ;) I was talking to a group of girls from my college class (we're planning our 10 year reunion!!! WUTTTTT?!) yesterday and we seriously sounded like some old ladies with our "kids these days" rants. It was hilarious.

Rista1313

Sometimes it's not the millennials' fault though. I'm not a millennial, actually, but when I graduated from high school, I applied everywhere for a summer job. We were pretty poor, and I had gotten scholarships for tuition and fees, but I still had to pay my room and board for college, so I needed to work through the summer to get money saved up. So I brought my resume EVERYWHERE....restaurants, stores, etc. The only response I got was for the city pool in the next town over, so I took it. After working for a couple of weeks in the concession stand, the boss called me and the other guy in to say they didn't need 2 people in the mornings when they only had lap swim...no one was buying concessions during that time, and it was a waste of money to pay two people, so they would switch us every other day. But that meant we wouldn't get 40 hours a week. It was a bummer, but I was still getting something like 34 hours, and it was only for the Summer and I couldn't afford to be picky because I had no other job prospects. My mom refused to accept it and demanded that I go tell my boss she had to give me more hours because I was trying to save money for college. I told her they didn't have the work for us, and the other guy needed the hours, too...they couldn't just give me all the hours and let him find a new job, and I didn't feel like I had any leverage. They hired a bunch of local teens for a Summer only job...for every kid who got hired, there are 5 more who didn't, so there would be no problem replacing me. The next morning, I got to work and my boss greeted me with "I hear you're not happy with your hours." She must have been able to see on my face how livid and embarrassed I was when I told her it wasn't ME who wasn't happy, it was my mom. She had called my boss while I drove to work and demanded that she give me more hours. The boss was ready to fire me when I walked in the door. If it hadn't been for my obvious anger that my mom had called, she would have fired me. I was SOOOO mad. My mom refused to admit that she had over-stepped her bounds. I wasn't going to do anything about it, so she had to. That's what she said. And she did not have any remorse for almost getting me fired. My boss was kind enough to allow me to skip lunch and breaks to get a couple more hours to appease my mother. So sometimes it's a controlling parent, not an incompetent "kid".

You know who your mom reminds me of. Lane's mom on the gilmore girls!

Songbird76

Take away all the healthy food stuff, and she totally could be Mrs. Kim. Well....and setting Lane up with potential doctors. My mom told me I shouldn't date until I was at least 30 and was ready to settle down and have kids. She would never have set me up with someone, doctor or not.

LeighM

I was born in 1981 and I saw a term that perfectly described the generation - xennial, the small generation between Gen X and millennial, born between 1977-1983. It's a much better fit!

PopPopBear

DAY TWO/MAY 11 cont

As an aside but related:
In my last post I was talking about a funny t-shirt from college and it got me thinking.
I love a good t-shirt. I like the matching families and the creativity involved. I know not every one respects a good t-shirt but I do. With that in mind I saw some good ones in the MK that day. I did not take pix because that would be weird!

Hakuna my Vodka
It means no memories for the rest of the day

In dog beers
I have only had one

Hmmm, I sense a theme here.

And this beauty X wore to work today:
View attachment 381276
IMG_5610 (1).JPG

My wife and I also love a good t-shirt. We wore these to WDW several years ago. Best reaction was from a CM when we were coming off of Test Track. He got a good laugh but he had to explain them to his co-worker. Who, by the way, was one of them millenials. :cool:

krisri18

View attachment 381340

My wife and I also love a good t-shirt. We wore these to WDW several years ago. Best reaction was from a CM when we were coming off of Test Track. He got a good laugh but he had to explain them to his co-worker. Who, by the way, was one of them millenials. :cool:
OMG @NessNewt !!! Z would flip for these shirts!
Z loves a good pun. But who doesn't

MickeyCB

I was chatting with some neighbors the other day. One man works for a company that does live streaming, mostly sports. That is right in X’s area of study and he could always use a job for next summer. It gets better! The company this man works for recently got bought by Disney to work on Disney+. HE NOW WORKS FOR DISNEY!! He told me to have X drop off his resume. Do you know, X will not go over there and talk to him. I saw his wife yesterday and she asked what was up. What do I say? My son is an idiot who is afraid to talk to people?? May I have a job instead???
I was sure you were describing my son with this story!! Since in HS, now rising sophomore college, does not want to ask anyone for anything. In HS would take an F for a grade before he would go talk to a teacher to figure out what he was doing wrong.
And we make it a policy to not talk to his teachers for him. It is soooo frustrating. One thing I do not understand is this weird thing these kids have with not understanding the value of connections and people willing to help you get a start.
He assures me he now talks to all of his college professors, and is networking, etc. He is studying interactive game design.
All I know (and he has been told), is that he is not welcome to live in my basement (or attic)! I told him if it looks like he is going to boomerang back that I am going to sell the house we live in now and buy a tiny little house that has only one bed and 2 chairs!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So sometimes it's a controlling parent, not an incompetent "kid".
Yes. Some of these controlling parents are raising nightmare humans. (Dont mind me, I was at a U5-U8 soccer tournament all morning. Ugggh!)

YEP. I'm a millennial too. We get crapped on all the time for stuff that Gen Z does. But like any generation, there's a wide variety of us ;) I was talking to a group of girls from my college class (we're planning our 10 year reunion!!! WUTTTTT?!) yesterday and we seriously sounded like some old ladies with our "kids these days" rants. It was hilarious.
See my above reaction. I sound like an old lady so I am right there with you!!!

No idea who this is. But, poor Lane!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom