News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They also need to update their map...

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, May 31, 2019. The bar and grille built over the lake was training staff today. I would not be surprised if it opened this weekend, but can't confirm that.

IMG_1373.JPG

The plantings at the restaurant entrance are all plastic. The wind sculptures are missing now, but the mounting rods are still in place.

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

The longest bridge to the restaurant.

IMG_1376.JPG

Two of the bridges have these seating areas, which will be a comfortable area to relax and take in the views around the lake.

IMG_1375.JPG

The "temporary" bridge that connected the resort has been removed. To get to the Cabanas, one must use the lake bridges now. The existing short bridge to the feature pool is currently closed while landscaping in front of the new tower and connecting pavement is installed.

IMG_1378.JPG

Sir_Cliff

Well the video looks shows the awesome additions at the resort... well except for that eyesore( the Tower).
For me, this all seems to be coming together quite nicely. The new restaurant and walkways look like good additions, and the tower blends well with the rest of the resort. I wish they had of found a way to make it Southwest/Mexico themed as well, but aesthetically I don't think it looks particularly out of place nor overpowering from what we've seen so far.

I've only stayed at Coronado Springs once, but on balance it looks to me that all of these developments are elevating the resort at least a little.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
While IMO one of the formerly most dysfunctional resorts Disney ever created, these new Bridges will finally bring both harmony and functionality to the resort that was always beautiful but challenging to any guests not staying and paying for a preferred building. I hope the dining changes fix the also dysfunction of later years.

Time will tell. It has always been a beautiful resort but lacking in basic services afforded to value resorts. Odd turn for the last
Of the moderate resorts when Disney should have had their own learning curve with many moderates under their belt. I look forward to our next stay in the future to see how the improvements actually impact stays vs previous mediocre experiences.

voodoo321

You could plop that restaurant down an any suburban outdoor mall/outlet complex and it wouldn't draw a second glance. I'll give it a few points for being out on the lake but Disney should and can do better than this.

This, the new tower, Disney Springs, Riviera, Old Port Royale, Reflections, etc. are all going for the modern and familiar. I don't know if that's comforting to the average Disney vacationer but that's not the reason I've chosen to visit over the years. It's all bland, boring and lifeless. This remodel and expansion of Coronado Springs has ripped out all the charm that this resort once had. But yet they still pack 'em in. What do I know?

MickeyLuv'r

You could plop that restaurant down an any suburban outdoor mall/outlet complex and it wouldn't draw a second glance. I'll give it a few points for being out on the lake but Disney should and can do better than this.

This, the new tower, Disney Springs, Riviera, Old Port Royale, Reflections, etc. are all going for the modern and familiar.

I dunno, I like aspects of the new Disney Springs.

Blaze is a basic inexpensive pizza place, but it beats the socks off the tomato cookies WDW used to serve.

I accept WDW will have merchandise, much of it overpriced, but at least some of the new themed stuff they sell in DS is interesting! WDW merchandise stagnated far too long. It was about time they tried something different.

The new art shops are fun to explore. But then maybe we are odd, we've always enjoyed the art shops of WDW (and Universal.) I don't mean the stuff that's obviously made by Disney, I mean the actual art. I fully support the idea of WDW and Universal helping artists sell art.

I'm willing to give the new eatery a go. The resort needed some sprucing. Maybe they could have done better, but I think they also could have done worse. I dunno, I think character meals have kind of lost their appeal. I want a place with good food. theming is fun, but only if the food is good.

HoldenC

Anyone who says Disney Springs is bland has zero taste and should not be taken seriously 😂😂 Its one of the best things that's happened non park wise at WDW in this decade. Likewise thede new additions to the hotel look amazing, cannot wait to stay there! Luckily I am getting a raise on August, so bring it on!! #hatersgonnahate

voodoo321

Good for you if you like the direction that they are taking with all the new resort builds. I wish I had your taste in design because it doesn't make me happy and I don't enjoy being unhappy. Disney Springs may be detailed and all shiny, new and hip but it lacks character. There is no heart in it. What does it represent? Looks just like many upscale So Cal shopping centers to me. It may look "nice" but I'm not drawn into whatever world it is attempting to create. I don't see creativity, personality or just plain "fun" when I look at it.

It doesn't feel like the Disney I used to know and fell in love with. But I don't get much of that type feeling driving around the property anymore. I guess that is on account of my lack of taste.;)

eliza61nyc

This, the new tower, Disney Springs, Riviera, Old Port Royale, Reflections, etc. are all going for the modern and familiar. I don't know if that's comforting to the average Disney vacationer but that's not the reason I've chosen to visit over the years. It's all bland, boring and lifeless. This remodel and expansion of Coronado Springs has ripped out all the charm that this resort once had. But yet they still pack 'em in. What do I know?
I have got to get to you guys malls, evidently the new crepeteria in France looks like a mall, now this looks like its from your mall.
Malls near me have TGiFs and olive Gardens. This looks nothing like a chain place.
I love the floor, from the video and definitely don't see a watermist fireplace.
Cocktail list sounded tasty.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom