Has there ever been any legitimacy to the long-standing "rumor" of a Villains-themed park?

nol_dur

I don't think Disney needs to build anymore parks in Orlando. WDW is already as busy as (or busier than) it needs to be. I really think they need a new destination here in the US. I'd love to see them resurrect plans for a resort out here in Texas. Two parks, a water park, and several hotels/DVC.
Disney World does feel complete and if they need to add something add it to one of the existing parks

jpeden

In the Parks
No
That was a different era...

Notably Disney itself is completely different. There will NEVER be a park anywhere else in the US. Not going to happen.

I agree. There was vision with that group. Disneyland Paris, WestCOT, California DisneySea, Disney’s America. They wanted to push the boundaries. The duo of Eisner and Wells was as close as we’ll ever be again to Roy and Walt.

capsshield

I always thought they could retheme Rock n' roller Coaster to a Cruella Devil ride. Transform the Tower of Terror to Ogie Boogies palace. Change Beauty show to a villains show. Add a ride to expansion pad based on Captain Hook. Then add a coaster themed to Maleficent.
Call it Villain's Point. With Fantasmic playing nightly the whole area could become a land that counters Galaxy's Edge, and Toy Story land.

jt04

After thinking about this having villain "takeovers" as separately ticketed events is preferable over a park or land dedicated to the idea.

Allows for easier changes and always the latest content/promotion. IMO.

Bocabear

I would prefer a villains section more than an entire park. Theme it to Nightmare Before Christmas- yes, please!
but the Nightmare Before Christmas cast are not villains....Only one character...I wonder if you could create a village setting that includes architectural and setting motifs from all the different villains...That could be very intriguing...like a land of limbo where all the Villains haver been sent to spend eternity....but are plotting their escape and re entry into society... It could be as interactive if not more than Galaxy's Edge... 3 good rides and another completely immersive area...

Magenta Panther

I always thought they could retheme Rock n' roller Coaster to a Cruella Devil ride. Transform the Tower of Terror to Ogie Boogies palace. Change Beauty show to a villains show. Add a ride to expansion pad based on Captain Hook. Then add a coaster themed to Maleficent.
Call it Villain's Point. With Fantasmic playing nightly the whole area could become a land that counters Galaxy's Edge, and Toy Story land.

Yeah, no, the Tower of Terror is a work of art and I hope to god it's never desecrated like the one in Disneyland was.

justintheharris

Almost everyone is talking about whether or not it's a good idea. The question was: DID DISNEY EVER ACTUALLY CONSIDER THIS? My first instinct is no. I personally believe it was a fan made concept and somewhere along the line, someone claimed Disney considered it and the rumor stuck.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That was a different era...

Notably Disney itself is completely different. There will NEVER be a park anywhere else in the US. Not going to happen.
Never is a long time. Who knows what market forces will dictate 50 years from now?

I think the safe thing to say is that it will not happen for a long, long time, if ever. Certainly not in the short term or mid-term future...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Never is a long time. Who knows what market forces will dictate 50 years from now?

I think the safe thing to say is that it will not happen for a long, long time, if ever. Certainly not in the short term or mid-term future...

If those parks exist...they won’t be owned by Disney. Sold or they will be swallowed up.

You can’t put a 50 year timeline on a family business - essentially - from 1930-2005 that is now run by modern management that is on the nanosecond “etrade” business model.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Almost everyone is talking about whether or not it's a good idea. The question was: DID DISNEY EVER ACTUALLY CONSIDER THIS? My first instinct is no. I personally believe it was a fan made concept and somewhere along the line, someone claimed Disney considered it and the rumor stuck.
There was enough talk and WDW chatter about “night kingdom” that there had to be at least some fire behind the smoke. But it never really got too far

peter11435

There was enough talk and WDW chatter about “night kingdom” that there had to be at least some fire behind the smoke. But it never really got too far
Night Kingdom was a legitimate concept that was explored for WDW. Night kingdom had nothing to do with villains though. It obviously didn’t happen but it got further than you’d think through the design phase.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
but the Nightmare Before Christmas cast are not villains....Only one character...I wonder if you could create a village setting that includes architectural and setting motifs from all the different villains...That could be very intriguing...like a land of limbo where all the Villains haver been sent to spend eternity....but are plotting their escape and re entry into society... It could be as interactive if not more than Galaxy's Edge... 3 good rides and another completely immersive area...

Haha, you've just listed the plot of the in Park "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom" game

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The question was answered on the first page...

A park? Nothing legit as far as I know beyond spitballing.

Disnerd2003

At this point we need Magic Kingdom 2 because we're running out of space to put things in. Save the last few expansion lots in MK for truly special, original experiences that made Disney famous, (PoTC, Peter Pan, stuff like that), then stuff like Tron could go in the 5th gate (MK2). The imagineers could craft a semi decent story and Bob Iger/Chapek's IP driven desires would be fullfilled.

JMcMahonEsq

With the success of the three Disney Descendants Films, I thought that would be a perfect tie in to a Villains Park/Isle of the Lost feature. I don't know if it could support a full 5th gate, but as an addition to MK I think it would allow areas for expansion.

I also assume WDW will be watching the Zootopia Land in Shanghi for possible expansion of AK.

KrazyKat

I always wonder if building a 5th gate would ever help with the overpacked 4 parks that are already there? I mean if someone or a family comes to Florida to check out the new 5th gate they’re probably going to spend a week or a few days to check out the other parks as well while they’re there and it’ll be even more crowded.
Hmmmmmmm...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom