Trying to figure out my post trip state of mind

KBLovedDisney

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
You guys are so right. Planning the next trip is helping, even if it's just imaginative planning at this point. I coach a couple sports for our high school, so if I plan on using those paychecks it takes a chunk out of the Disney cost. Then we can save during the year for spending money etc. Plus having Disney to look forward to helps a little on those rough coaching days. :)

@JustAFan That's a great loop, something to put on the headphones while working!! Thank you!

Disstevefan1

Dude, right there with you. Logical thinker in a finance role at a huge company.

I have annual passes and go to WDW around 30 days/yr, so not new to it. EVERY time I come back, I feel somewhat depressed and miss it. I just got back from a little 4 day Memorial Trip at Grand Floridian. It was 96 every day, but we had a great time and I want to go back...like now.

What I think we struggle with is the escape from reality and then the harsh realization you’re “back” in the real world. Regular life doesn’t compare to the magical world of Disney where you have positive memories, familiar smells, music, and non stop entertainment. Of course you have disagreements and inconveniences, but instead of dealing with those at work or home, you can always say, “It’s hot....let’s head over to Carousel of Progress.”

The only thing I’ve found to work is to plan my next trip.

"What I think we struggle with is the escape from reality and then the harsh realization you’re “back” in the real world. Regular life doesn’t compare to the magical world of Disney"

Well put.

For the OP, Jedi Osborn , focus on your next trip to Galaxy's Edge!!! Your first visit to GE will be exciting!!!

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
For the OP, Jedi Osborn , focus on your next trip to Galaxy's Edge!!! Your first visit to GE will be exciting!!!
You're right!! I've been reading everything that's come out of DL this past week and I can't wait for it to open in WDW. I'll be one of those grown men with a tear in their eye when they see the Falcon for the first time.
I have to say, I'm more than a little concerned about the crowds. It sounds like DL has done a great job with the reservation system. I hope WDW can do something similar to make the experience the best it can be.

Janir

I think much of my post WDW blues come from not only actually visiting the world, but the weeks of anticipation beforehand.

WDW is a great place to visit if you like to tinker and plan. What with meals you can book, fast passes to snag, park hours and crowd levels to muse, and much more, there is no shortage of things to distract you from the reality of life in the weeks leading up to a vacation.

Of course when you get home not only do you not have the trip to look forward to, but you also don’t have those little tasks to plan where you can day dream for 5 mins. It’s a double shock to the system!

For me, the planning and anticipation make the whole experience stretch much longer than the actual time in the park, and in those weeks leading up to a trip I’m more resilient to life’s annoyances knowing I will be flying out soon. When I get back, without those tasks to complete and the chance of a day dream life seems much less exciting.
I think you hit this right on the head. My Disney bubble starts when we get the planning going. Part of the reason the wife and I are now planning two trips one this year, then spring next year and even the 2021 50th trip. having a few back to back plans in action seems to smooth out the post vacation-ready for the next one 'blues' quite a bit.
That and playing D-park Radio in the background while at my desk at work so I'm mentally transported to the World while I bang away on my computer. Watching some Disney vlogger videos helps as well.
The best way to beat the post vacation blues is to already be planning the next vacation. ;)

jloucks

Hey everyone. I don't post much, but I enjoy reading a lot from like-minded individuals.

Maybe someone can help me understand this, or maybe I need to see a professional, but we’re just back from an 8 day trip to WDW. It was our 13th trip in 23 years, so we’re not new to the experience.

I’m in a major state of post vacation depression. But I can’t figure out WHY.

I’m a software developer, so I tend to be a logical thinker and I’m trying to figure out what it is that makes me feel this way.

The trip was great, we had a wonderful time with dessert parties, attractions and quality family time. It wasn’t perfect by any means. It poured twice, there were long lines, 95-degree weather (a shock from the 40 we came from) and minor family disagreements. The crowds were frustrating considering we’re used to January levels from years ago. We’d get our 3 fast passes in and then struggle to find a sub 60-minute attraction to enjoy

But now that I’m home, I want to go back, and I can’t figure out why!! We did what we wanted to, rode the rides, ate the food, saw the fireworks. Not that you can do it all in 8 days, but you know what I mean.

If we went back tomorrow, it’d be the same thing….a few fast passes, dodging the heat, and then a lot of wandering and frustrations with crowds.

I keep talking about Disney with family, and I think they might be a bit over it. The only thing that seems to help is thinking about the next trip, and of course reading about all the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge news coming out.

I can’t seem to figure it out!!

My theory is that it is related to the happiness in your everyday life. This can be with your spouse, kids, or more often than not, job. The higher stress your job is, the more addictive being out from under the stress can be. My job is pretty high on the stress-o-meter, I have figured out that is the problem with me and vacation. Shoot, I can feel it, about halfway through the first full day, the wave of stress rolling off of me. Like the rush after a triple shot of rum or a hit of Xanax. ...but all natural.

Coming back almost feels... self abusive... which is where the depression comes in. I wish I had a good solution, but I don't. What works marginally well for me is to realize how life is short and to prioritize what you allow to stress you. Save the big stress exclusively for major health issues involving loved ones and everything else is something lower priority. Easier said then done when lots of people are counting on you for a living.

Disstevefan1

You're right!! I've been reading everything that's come out of DL this past week and I can't wait for it to open in WDW. I'll be one of those grown men with a tear in their eye when they see the Falcon for the first time.
I have to say, I'm more than a little concerned about the crowds. It sounds like DL has done a great job with the reservation system. I hope WDW can do something similar to make the experience the best it can be.

I also hope they do the virtual queue, or reservation system to get into GE instead of having a multi hour queue snaking thru DHS.

Walt Disney1955

@ Big Phil
Your family trips sound like they did their job, they created the family memories that are so important. I hope that my kids will look back the same way and remember these Disney trips fondly.

Like all of us in the end, we turn into our parents. I now "get" why my dad got annoyed on drives. My kids will probably laugh at me the same way someday. Others have said it already but planning for another trip, even 18 months from now gives you some excitement and anticipation. Honestly, I could talk all day with my family or even some friends about fun trips, even weekend trips somewhere. At the end of the day you could fill a eulogy of that sort of thing. Which is all that matters really.

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
My theory is that it is related to the happiness in your everyday life. This can be with your spouse, kids, or more often than not, job. The higher stress your job is, the more addictive being out from under the stress can be. My job is pretty high on the stress-o-meter, I have figured out that is the problem with me and vacation. Shoot, I can feel it, about halfway through the first full day, the wave of stress rolling off of me. Like the rush after a triple shot of rum or a hit of Xanax. ...but all natural.

Coming back almost feels... self abusive... which is where the depression comes in. I wish I had a good solution, but I don't. What works marginally well for me is to realize how life is short and to prioritize what you allow to stress you. Save the big stress exclusively for major health issues involving loved ones and everything else is something lower priority. Easier said then done when lots of people are counting on you for a living.

I definitely agree with you. Home is good. Work is.....unfulfilling, stressful, etc etc etc. It's certainly a major factor in the problem. Combining that with not having something to look forward to, to help me through the long work days is probably the crux of the whole thing. If one is actually happy with their job, then coming back to it would be a good thing. And the escape wouldn't be as "necessary". I've known people like that, where going on vacation is the chore and they WANT to get back to work. Personally, I can't even comprehend that, although it would be nice I think.
So now that I've got a good definition and understanding of the issue and what's causing it, I need to just accept that it is what it is and the solution (aside from finding a fulfilling and rewarding career that I enjoy fully) is to have that thing to look forward to.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wow, one night? I think that would trigger it for me too!! I'd be thinking about everything I didn't get to do!!
When you go for short visits, you just have to set your expectations right up front, realizing that in today's environment, you may not get to experience any E tickets without long waits in lines or hanging out in a specific park until closing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom