Trying to figure out my post trip state of mind

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
Yeah I can honestly say being a DVC member totally took my Disney experiences to another level because of the stress it alleviated from wondering when I would be back and where I'd be staying and so forth. We are members at Bay Lake but my wife's personal favorite is actually the Boardwalk. I'm just such a devout MK fan that Bay Lake Tower is heaven for me because I can walk right down the sidewalk in less than 10 minutes and be in the park and feel like I'm dictating the pace because on my job I have to always be dictating the pace and I just have that mindset. That's the good thing about the Boardwalk too though because you have two parks in very close walking distance. I personally enjoy the looks of the Grand Floridian Villas the most of any DVC resort but I just hate being the last stop on the monorail or having to take a boat. If there was a sidewalk from there to the MK it would be my favorite resort hands down. I can see why the Boardwalk would appeal to you and as far as the Poly DVC rooms just know that you can only either get a studio, which is quite spacious, or a 2 bedroom bungalow which is a KING'S RANSOM of DVC points and I'd estimate that even with a Family and Friends discount you'd still be looking at close to a thousand bucks per day! That would have to be one of those "dream trip" scenarios or a "nightmare" scenario for your bank account. LOL!

omg, I've seen those bungalows, and they look AMAZING. I can't even imagine being able to stay there. And if I did, I'm not sure I'd want to leave! I think the only other thing I would dream of is the treehouses that we see from the boatride from Port Orleans to Downtown...Imean Disney Springs :D
Another reason we go with the moderate hotels, we don't spend a a lot of time IN the room. I love the energy and being in Epcot, especially at night, so I'm thinking the Boardwalk would be really good for me. Another odd thing, is that we like the "door to the outside" set up of the moderates. idk if there's an official term for that. But being in a "door to the hallway" kind of resort would be weird for us in Disney.

Can also absolutely relate! My wife and I (no kids) are lucky enough to be able to travel a few times a year; sometimes within the US, sometimes internationally, sometimes Disney and I think the “escaping reality” idea is spot on. No matter what the vacation is it still beats 99% of daily life, at least for me. The best solution I’ve found is to already have the next thing planned before you get back. That way when the post vacation blues set in you know there is something already planned for you to look forward to!
I will say though, that the blues I get after a Disney vacation are usually far worse than anything else. It’s been almost 3 years since our last WDW trip and I’m so badly itching to get back. We have a trip planned to DL next year but so far nothing for WDW.

You know, I think that would be a terrific idea, if I had something set up when we got home. That way there's still something to look forward too. The further I get from the original trip, the easier it is to deal with the post vacation funk (not using the word depression) but it's still there. If there was something else a few months away, I'd be less of a mess for sure.
3 years is a long time with the way things are changing there. I hope you can get back soon. But take your own advice and make sure you have something set to focus on when you get home!!!

JusticeDisney

I think much of my post WDW blues come from not only actually visiting the world, but the weeks of anticipation beforehand.

WDW is a great place to visit if you like to tinker and plan. What with meals you can book, fast passes to snag, park hours and crowd levels to muse, and much more, there is no shortage of things to distract you from the reality of life in the weeks leading up to a vacation.

Of course when you get home not only do you not have the trip to look forward to, but you also don’t have those little tasks to plan where you can day dream for 5 mins. It’s a double shock to the system!

For me, the planning and anticipation make the whole experience stretch much longer than the actual time in the park, and in those weeks leading up to a trip I’m more resilient to life’s annoyances knowing I will be flying out soon. When I get back, without those tasks to complete and the chance of a day dream life seems much less exciting.
This sums up my thoughts perfectly!

graphite1326

The "depression" really hits me when my DW decides we have to stop at the grocery store on the way home from the airport. Doing that kinda makes it official that its over.

Michaelson

One has to wonder how old a person has to be to deal with this 'post trip' feeling?

We took our almost 4 year old grandson last February, and he rode anything and EVERYTHING his height would allow, and several times. It appears he's a bit of an adrenaline junkie.

That said, ever since we got back home and he comes to visit, he wants to watch YouTube videos of the rides at WDW.....especially Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and the Haunted Mansion!

Is he, too, suffering from post trip depression? Once again, one can only wonder.

As everyone else has said, even though we planned on skipping a year to allow the Star Wars craze to die down, we started planning a trip next year to keep our minds clear. It's definitely a sickness! LOL!

Regards! Michaelson

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
I wonder about the age as well. My daughter (age 7) has moved on totally. We still look at pictures and remember fun things, but she's good with being home. Family and friends and school are all going well for her. AND THAT'S TERRIFIC!!! I admire her ability to keep moving forward. It probably has a lot to do with one's level of contentment with their normal day to day.
Hopefully your grandson is in a good place and will start looking forward too!

John park hopper

Usually we suffer from post WDW depression but this last trip after we left we (DW and me) got a horrible head and chest cold that lasted 2 weeks. That sure took care of our missing WDW- all we could think about was getting a good night sleep and not coughing.

JustAFan

You've got the fever! lol

Seriously though, there is something there and I'm sure we've all felt it. I personally keep it positive. I enjoy the time I had there, but also look forward to getting back to my home, my job, my friends, my books, my TV, my pool, my yard, etc. I've felt the same thing after other non-Disney vacations. What's the saying ... don't cry that it's over, smile that it happened. We also make memory books with all the pics we take. That brings a smile on a cold January day or a stormy April evening.

Michaelson

It probably has a lot to do with one's level of contentment with their normal day to day.
Hopefully your grandson is in a good place and will start looking forward too!
Thanks, oh, and I'm sure he is. Now he's asking to watch Expedition Everest videos (one he wasn't tall enough to ride last February) as 'research', telling us he wants to ride THAT one next year. :)
Regards! Michaelson

Walt Disney1955

Hey everyone. I don't post much, but I enjoy reading a lot from like-minded individuals.

Maybe someone can help me understand this, or maybe I need to see a professional, but we’re just back from an 8 day trip to WDW. It was our 13th trip in 23 years, so we’re not new to the experience.

I’m in a major state of post vacation depression. But I can’t figure out WHY.

I’m a software developer, so I tend to be a logical thinker and I’m trying to figure out what it is that makes me feel this way.

The trip was great, we had a wonderful time with dessert parties, attractions and quality family time. It wasn’t perfect by any means. It poured twice, there were long lines, 95-degree weather (a shock from the 40 we came from) and minor family disagreements. The crowds were frustrating considering we’re used to January levels from years ago. We’d get our 3 fast passes in and then struggle to find a sub 60-minute attraction to enjoy

But now that I’m home, I want to go back, and I can’t figure out why!! We did what we wanted to, rode the rides, ate the food, saw the fireworks. Not that you can do it all in 8 days, but you know what I mean.

If we went back tomorrow, it’d be the same thing….a few fast passes, dodging the heat, and then a lot of wandering and frustrations with crowds.

I keep talking about Disney with family, and I think they might be a bit over it. The only thing that seems to help is thinking about the next trip, and of course reading about all the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge news coming out.

I can’t seem to figure it out!!

Yeah...............the post trip blues. I know that I talk about it a lot (the trip and the fun times I mean) with the family members that I went with. That always gets you more excited. Think of it like a good thing. You had the sort of trip where you want to go back again. Honestly, I don't think this is a bad thing, it means you shared some great memories.

When we were kids and travelled with our parents there was often frustration and arguments on those long car rides. My sister would annoy my dad, my dad, usually driving, would get irritated back. We were 4 people in a "box" driving a long distance. We always stayed in cheap motels on the way (think Bates Motel without murdering Norman Bates) and my dad traditionally drove slow. Ugh..............we just couldn't wait to get to our location! And yet............those are fun memories of us annoying each other on the drive down. You don't know why until after the fact, but you reminisce about it. Sometimes my dad would get really mad at us and try and swat our legs as he was driving but we would always lift them up at the right time and he would miss..................every.............single..............time. I look back at that and think it is hilarious.

I don't know, think of it that way.

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
This is why I posted here, you guys just GET it.

It's the intangible feelings that make it special. The little stories, the fun things. The crowds and heat and wait times are frustrating at the time, but typically forgotten afterwards.
I enjoy the time I had there, but also look forward to getting back to my home, my job, my friends, my books, my TV, my pool, my yard, etc. I've felt the same thing after other non-Disney vacations. What's the saying ... don't cry that it's over, smile that it happened.

Somehow I manage to be sad that it's over and smile that it happened at the same time. And think about the next one!! I think, like we touched on before, one's level of contentment at home probably has a lot to do with how hard the post vacation funk hits.

Channel that mysterious emotion into a four-page trip report!

Funny you should mention the trip report, I've often found solace in writing. I usually get home and journal the days, but I found that I never went back to read them. Or I couldn't remember the details I wrote about, so I shortened up my musings to feeling and highlights. And of course, tips for the next trip. Like when you leave the Star Wars fireworks, say to the right because the Fantasmic crowd is merging on the left!!!

Thanks, oh, and I'm sure he is. Now he's asking to watch Expedition Everest videos (one he wasn't tall enough to ride last February) as 'research', telling us he wants to ride THAT one next year. :)
Regards! Michaelson

Research! That's terrific!! Good for him!

@ Big Phil
Your family trips sound like they did their job, they created the family memories that are so important. I hope that my kids will look back the same way and remember these Disney trips fondly.

Trackmaster

Yeah, I can relate to the idea of the post-vacation depression. That's why personally I've more or less sworn off vacations, or at least banned the word "vacation" from my vocabulary. I'm a travel enthusiast. I travel. Its not a vacation for me, its what I do for fun. I take longer weekends, I'll take one week off at most. I'll visit friends and family and and tour the area along the way. I get on planes about 15 times, and none of those flights are for work.

When I travel, I travel hard. I fly straight from work, and fly into TPA, Clearwater, or MCO the night before I go back into work. There's no depression for me as anymore, as my next trip isn't far away.

And I live about 80 minutes - 2 hours from Disney, depending on traffic. I would never dare vacation there. I just enjoy the parks frequently throughout the year. Always gameplanning to get the best FP+, see everything, and squeeze every last drop of production for my 3-4 hour visits without wasting time. Its always weird when I see how people have scrimped and saved to go to Disney while I just walk in on my dirt cheap AP and do a lot more than they do.

The Mighty Tim

Not to divert too far off from the thread, but I always tell people that a Disney trip is not a vacation. It's a great trip, but definitely not a vacation. I sometimes feel that I need a vacation after a Disney trip.
For me, it's the opposite. Most of my other travels feel like trips, whereas a Disney trip to me feels more like a holiday.

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
Funny you should mention that. And I continue to digress, but it's not a typical vacation for us either. We go go go! I hate stopping at night to sleep. I want to do more! I figure I'm not at work and I don't have to mow the lawn or shovel the snow off the driveway, so want to DO fun things. Sitting on the beach is dull to me. Although I used to enjoy sitting at the Fountain View for a little while. :)
One of my daughters is like me. The other wanted to go back to the room for a mid day nap....sacrilege!!!

Trackmaster

Funny you should mention that. And I continue to digress, but it's not a typical vacation for us either. We go go go! I hate stopping at night to sleep. I want to do more! I figure I'm not at work and I don't have to mow the lawn or shovel the snow off the driveway, so want to DO fun things. Sitting on the beach is dull to me. Although I used to enjoy sitting at the Fountain View for a little while. :)
One of my daughters is like me. The other wanted to go back to the room for a mid day nap....sacrilege!!!

Granted, I never stay overnight at Disney, but midday naps are a good tactic I think. The best times to go are ropedrop and closedown. Midday is pretty much no man's land. Its too crowded to get on anything, and you bake in the heat. I think that the arbitrage where you trade an unproductive part of the day for AC and/or possible sleep is just sound strategy. I highly doubt that you could do an 8:40 AM ropedrop to an 11:00 PM EMH closedown without taking a break or throwing in the towel early. If you can't make it until closedown you should have taken a midday break or started your day later.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There are only two "cures" for the Disney blues (IMO). You either book another trip, or if you really want to end the blues, buy into DVC! We bought a resale at Boardwalk and while it was definitely not cheap, it will pay for itself within 3 years (from the date it started). As much as we went back and forth on the cost before we pulled the trigger, we look back at it now and realize it was a no brainer.

If DVC isnt an option, then just simply book your next trip! When my wife and I first started visiting as a couple around 15 years ago, we were young and not making as much money as we do now, but we knew we wanted to visit WDW so we made it happen. We preferred the deluxe resorts which meant it was even more costly, but we made it work. We would book a trip and just pay the deposit for the first night and then calculate how much we needed to save each day/week/month. If our trip was 3 months away and we owed $800 for the room, we would make sure we put $9 aside, EVERY DAY. There are enough things in a persons daily life that we spend a few dollars on here and there and instead of buying that Starbucks coffee, we would put the money aside. Instead of going out to dinner on Saturday night, we would stay in and put the money aside. When it was pay day we would throw a little extra in so we had money for food and drinks. A few dollars a day adds up, if you let it.

This allowed us to have several trips per year without having to drop thousands of dollars at a time. It just takes cutting a few daily expenses out in order to take a trip to WDW. When our trip was over, we would book another and start over with putting money aside. It was fun and it gave something to look forward to instead of being sad about the trip being over.

KBLovedDisney

There are only two "cures" for the Disney blues (IMO). You either book another trip, or if you really want to end the blues, buy into DVC! We bought a resale at Boardwalk and while it was definitely not cheap, it will pay for itself within 3 years (from the date it started). As much as we went back and forth on the cost before we pulled the trigger, we look back at it now and realize it was a no brainer.

If DVC isnt an option, then just simply book your next trip! When my wife and I first started visiting as a couple around 15 years ago, we were young and not making as much money as we do now, but we knew we wanted to visit WDW so we made it happen. We preferred the deluxe resorts which meant it was even more costly, but we made it work. We would book a trip and just pay the deposit for the first night and then calculate how much we needed to save each day/week/month. If our trip was 3 months away and we owed $800 for the room, we would make sure we put $9 aside, EVERY DAY. There are enough things in a persons daily life that we spend a few dollars on here and there and instead of buying that Starbucks coffee, we would put the money aside. Instead of going out to dinner on Saturday night, we would stay in and put the money aside. When it was pay day we would throw a little extra in so we had money for food and drinks. A few dollars a day adds up, if you let it.

This allowed us to have several trips per year without having to drop thousands of dollars at a time. It just takes cutting a few daily expenses out in order to take a trip to WDW. When our trip was over, we would book another and start over with putting money aside. It was fun and it gave something to look forward to instead of being sad about the trip being over.
3rd cure: Imaginatively "plan" the next Disney vacation even if it is nowhere in sight of the near future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom