News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Professortango1

Wouldnt that have meant turning ToT into GotG? Better they chose Energy IMO.

Guardians taking over Florida's TOT makes a whole lot more sense than DCA's considering the studio setting, slower pacing of the buildup, and actual showroom space for larger scenes in the 5th Dimension Room and ending. Turn Rockin Rollercoaster into Big Hero 6 or another Marvel brand they have access to and you have the start of a fun area.

jt04

Guardians taking over Florida's TOT makes a whole lot more sense than DCA's considering the studio setting, slower pacing of the buildup, and actual showroom space for larger scenes in the 5th Dimension Room and ending. Turn Rockin Rollercoaster into Big Hero 6 or another Marvel brand they have access to and you have the start of a fun area.

An Incredibles theme could also work. Whatever they choose hope they leave the exterior of ToT as is.

EricsBiscuit

Except that Walt didn’t believe that theme parks could only follow movies or that movies had to be a franchise to work as a themed experience. Per the Bob’s criteria, most of Walt’s Disneyland is nondescript and only Snow White’s Adventures would have been worth the investment.
Well keep in mind Disney didn’t own the quantity of quality IPs it has today.

EricsBiscuit

What bullocks. There is absolutely nothing to support the suggestion that Walt Disney turned to original content for Disneyland our of desperation.
Strawman. I never said out of desperation. He created lands he thought represented Americana. He would have utilized more IPs if he had them. You can bet Indy and Luke Skywalker would have been there opening day, just as Davy Crockett was.

lazyboy97o

Strawman. I never said out of desperation. He created lands he thought represented Americana. He would have utilized more IPs if he had them. You can bet Indy and Luke Skywalker would have been there opening day, just as Davy Crockett was.
The whole notion is that original content was a choice forced by circumstance, not one desired and intentionally pursued. That describes desperation. Walt did not even use the properties he had developed and his direct involvement with the Studio’s output continued to dwindle during the last decade of his life. Even Mary Poppins, the film with his most personal involvement in decades and a huge hit did not have an attraction seriously considered until planning of the Magic Kingdom started after his death.

Davy Crockett was created for Disneyland.

EricsBiscuit

The whole notion is that original content was a choice forced by circumstance, not one desired and intentionally pursued. That describes desperation. Walt did not even use the properties he had developed and his direct involvement with the Studio’s output continued to dwindle during the last decade of his life. Even Mary Poppins, the film with his most personal involvement in decades and a huge hit did not have an attraction seriously considered until planning of the Magic Kingdom started after his death.

Davy Crockett was created for Disneyland.
9D8F20F3-7F29-45FA-8E88-A267975C6843.jpeg

mdcpr

That would be an enormous shame...lots of autistic kids really identify with him. Forgive me for being uninformed, but how is Drax in the Uni contract? I was under the impression that contract was mainly about characters considered part of the Avengers.
They did? Mine didn't, so I'm curious to know why was this. I'm pretty interested in this.

ImperfectPixie

They did? Mine didn't, so I'm curious to know why was this. I'm pretty interested in this.
Because he has such a hard time understanding metaphors and figures of speech, and is very literal. He's also blunt, speaks his mind (sometimes without thinking), has difficulty understanding emotions, and is extremely focused on specific end goals, even though they are different from those of his friends. My autistic 13-year-old could be a mini-Drax.

mdcpr

This is
Because he has such a hard time understanding metaphors and figures of speech, and is very literal. He's also blunt, speaks his mind (sometimes without thinking), has difficulty understanding emotions, and is extremely focused on specific end goals, even though they are different from those of his friends. My autistic 13-year-old could be a mini-Drax.
This is really interesting. My son's favorite super hero is the Black Panther, probably because he was trying to fit into different worlds. How our kids relate to characters is really fascinating.

mdcpr

Btw, I can relate to Drax. :)

Lensman

Not in any shape or form similar to the current franchise mandate, which you previously claimed.
The franchise mandate is an interesting one, however depressing it might be.

In some ways, it seems to me an extension of first, sequelitis and then franchise-itis. It's interesting that discussions of those problems end up blaming the increased cost of making blockbuster films.

Meanwhile, over on the park attraction space, we see increased franchise pressure at the same time that we see skyrocketing costs in building headlining attractions.

But I'm sure this has probably been discussed elsewhere, so please point me to the thread and we can get this one back on track to the GotG coaster. Apologies to all.

briangaw

The point is synergy has been the company's game plan for a while.

Perhaps, but synergy worked in all directions with creativity driving it all forward. I mean it was sort of tone deaf in the same interview to mention Pirates as he did as if the franchise wasn't built from an original attraction in the first place. And hence we have Guardians going into Epcot as though it makes sense because of some franchise mandate. You can only continue to build and use your moat strategy before your consumers learn to swim or your competitors build a bridge.

EricsBiscuit

Perhaps, but synergy worked in all directions with creativity driving it all forward. I mean it was sort of tone deaf in the same interview to mention Pirates as he did as if the franchise wasn't built from an original attraction in the first place. And hence we have Guardians going into Epcot as though it makes sense because of some franchise mandate. You can only continue to build and use your moat strategy before your consumers learn to swim or your competitors build a bridge.
Well I’d say from their perspective the strategy is working. SDL is a success. SWL is amazing. TSL and Pandora are successes. I don’t agree with GotG in Epcot, but to them it makes sense. I wish they updated Energy, unlike many here, I actually rode Energy at least once a month. But, it makes sense why they’re putting Guardians in (not from a thematic perspective but a business one).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom