News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

FigmentForver96

Well I'll do my part. Instead of another dozen posts about people saying we need more relevant posts here is an actual review from someone who went a few days ago:

Pretty detailed and a few tips along the way. I swear all these video reviews really excite me even without pictures of the place.

I love this guy on Instagram. Probably the only blogger I follow regularly

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

question for anyone that has been to Olga's Cantina- we were told the drinks were going to pre maid- can you elaborate on the process of how your drink was made/served and how strong was the alcoholic content? and did they limit you to a drink or a time in the cantina? just curious.

Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run feels like a video game because it is one. Your actions on the attraction directly impact the action on the screen, thus, video game. That's the difference between SR and something like Flight of Passage: FOP is all pre-rendered stuff. SR is pretty much being rendered on the fly, and reacts directly to your input. That's why SR looks like a video game compared to FOP.

More like a simulator than a video game, no?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The OC Register is a rag.

"The prices at Oga’s Cantina in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be as stiff as the drinks with beer flights costing $75, alien cocktails running as high as $42 "

It's not until later in the article that we're told this includes the collectible glasses.​

"Disney officials have been coy about how much anything will cost in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. "

Except, of course, advertising these prices during a cast preview. Is there some other bar that puts out their price list a year before opening?​

These prices are similar to The Edison's where you're paying a premium for the atmosphere and entertainment in the cost of the food and beverages.

The OC Register is a rag.

SuddenStorm

Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run feels like a video game because it is one. Your actions on the attraction directly impact the action on the screen, thus, video game. That's the difference between SR and something like Flight of Passage: FOP is all pre-rendered stuff. SR is pretty much being rendered on the fly, and reacts directly to your input. That's why SR looks like a video game compared to FOP.

I remember critics complaints of the Starcade... "Why go to Disneyland just to play a video game!"

It even had some Star Wars games-

Disney's response? Turn the Starcade into a shop and built a nicer Star Wars video game on the other side of the park :p

It also means, Smuggler's Run isn't a Star Tours successor, it's a Starcade successor!

Figments Friend

I would like to take a moment and thank all of those who have been able to visit Batuu thus far and have taken the time to post their thoughts here.
:)

It has been interesting and insightful hearing first hand opinions of the various offerings in the new areas, and has also made a thought provoking and entertaining thread.
We are on the very cusp of the public opening, teetering on that edge when soon the reviews will be coming at us fast n' furious.
Answers to questions and curiosities will soon by known after years, months, and weeks of speculation and hopeful wishing.
These early impressions help set the stage for what is to come.

Buckled in, and ready for the crazy ride these next couple of weeks will be.
Good luck to all who venture forth in the first few days of opening!

Keep those reviews coming!

-

steve76

It’s really interesting to read everyone’s thoughts. A few questions on Smuggler’s Run:

Presumably there is a Fastpass line built in, just not currently in use? Does it merge before the Chess Room?

Do the single rider and fastpass lines also give you the view out over the Millenium Falcon? How early in the queue is this? Does the single rider line include the chess room?

The_Mesh_Hatter

It’s really interesting to read everyone’s thoughts. A few questions on Smuggler’s Run:

Presumably there is a Fastpass line built in, just not currently in use? Does it merge before the Chess Room?

Do the single rider and fastpass lines also give you the view out over the Millenium Falcon? How early in the queue is this? Does the single rider line include the chess room?

The FASTPASS and standby queues merge just before the Hondo preshow. I’m not sure when the single rider line merges, but it definitely merges before you enter the Falcon because the grouping is already done by then.

Only the standby queue has the view of the Galcon through the second story windows. It occurs after the big room with the engine and before Hondo

Old Mouseketeer

The FASTPASS and standby queues merge just before the Hondo preshow. I’m not sure when the single rider line merges, but it definitely merges before you enter the Falcon because the grouping is already done by then.

Only the standby queue has the view of the Galcon through the second story windows. It occurs after the big room with the engine and before Hondo

I'm told that the FastPass line has a limited view of the Falcon from the upper windows (you need to be tall). The Single Rider Line bypasses Hondo through the lower level and goes up some stairs to merge at the circular alcove where guests are grouped into parties of six and given their boarding cards.

No Name

About Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, our topic at hand, what does the entrance sign for Smuggler’s Run look like? I assume it doesn’t say “Millenium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run” real big at the top or anything but maybe it does.

sponono88

One observation I enjoyed during my visit (to my surprise) were the seamless transitions from land to land. I was initially worried about how Star Wars would mesh with the rest of the park. The transition from Frontierland is really well done - the old frontier theme and rustic look of both lands blends together nicely. As you approach the area outside the rise of the resistance ride, the environment becomes more lush and green, eventually leading to the woodsy area of critter country.

I think it’s easy to see that the land was designed specifically for Disneyland and then copied for DHS. Not sure if that’s the case but that’s how it appears to me.

Also, the tunnels leading into the land have such beautiful area music. I don’t know if it’s music from the movies or if it’s something composed specifically for this land. I’m not a Star Wars aficionado so I don’t really know. The lighting (hanging glowing lanterns along the rocky caves) and music as you walk into the land creates a really beautiful entry portal at night time.

Last edited:

DeletedAccount55555

The transition from Frontierland is really well done - the old frontier theme and rustic look of both lands blends together nicely. As you approach the area outside the rise of the resistance ride, the environment becomes more lush and green, eventually leading to the woodsy area of critter country.

I think it’s easy to see that the land was designed specifically for Disneyland and then copied for DHS. Not sure if that’s the case but that’s how it appears to me.

I'm interested to see the transition in Disneyland first and then compare it to DHS. But I don't think you can expect so much from transitioning from one environment to another.

Practical Pig

The transition from Frontierland is really well done - the old frontier theme and rustic look of both lands blends together nicely. As you approach the area outside the rise of the resistance ride, the environment becomes more lush and green, eventually leading to the woodsy area of critter country.

I expect the path from Critter Country to SW:GE to be my preferred entry experience whenever we eventually get there after the insanity of the opening. In cinema terms it's a slow dissolve instead of the jump-cuts of the other entrances, and I anticipate that will ease the transition from the charm of classic DL into this brave new world of Gigantic IP Immersion.

And yes, the land was specifically designed for DL's space, carved-out of Frontierland and backstage, and then adapted slightly for the DHS version with a compass reorientation and a slight spacial clipping of this transitional area, meaning that the running joke on this forum that DL's SW:GE is bigger than DHS's is slightly true.

dlr74

While I’d ridden the Falcon already, I finally had my full experience with the land today.

Let me start by saying that this land is BEAUTIFUL. The attention to detail is like nothing else. However, this place is going to be PACKED constantly. I had seen others compare the Marketplace to NOS, and I can see where they’re coming from when they say that. And not necessarily in a good way. The merchandise “stalls” are incredibly small. There was a long line just to LOOK at merchandise while we were there.

We attempted to enter the Cantina over 7 times during our time slot. Every single time, the line was “cut off” and we were told to check back later. Each time we checked back, it was still cut off. It seemed like the only way to secure a spot in the line was to stake out near the end of the line and wait for them to reopen it. And then it immediately would fill and they’d close it off again. And once you did get in line, the wait was an hour. We never got to experience the Cantina.

It just seemed like our entire time in the land today was spent walking around trying to figure out what to do, but everything had a long line. Even the PhotoPass opportunities had 30+ minute waits. The food locations had long waits. The lightsaber and droid building had 45 minute waits. The one and only Attraction was at a 90 minute wait for most of our time slot. It wasn’t the most pleasant experience especially when feeling stressed about being under a 4 hour time limit.

That being said, I was pleased with the Falcon and got to ride it another 2 times today. I am anxiously awaiting ROTR, as I know it’ll be even better and will really flesh this land out to be what it was intended to be.

DeletedAccount55555

While I’d ridden the Falcon already, I finally had my full experience with the land today.

Let me start by saying that this land is BEAUTIFUL. The attention to detail is like nothing else. However, this place is going to be PACKED constantly. I had seen others compare the Marketplace to NOS, and I can see where they’re coming from when they say that. And not necessarily in a good way. The merchandise “stalls” are incredibly small. There was a long line just to LOOK at merchandise while we were there.

We attempted to enter the Cantina over 7 times during our time slot. Every single time, the line was “cut off” and we were told to check back later. Each time we checked back, it was still cut off. It seemed like the only way to secure a spot in the line was to stake out near the end of the line and wait for them to reopen it. And then it immediately would fill and they’d close it off again. And once you did get in line, the wait was an hour. We never got to experience the Cantina.

It just seemed like our entire time in the land today was spent walking around trying to figure out what to do, but everything had a long line. Even the PhotoPass opportunities had 30+ minute waits. The food locations had long waits. The lightsaber and droid building had 45 minute waits. The one and only Attraction was at a 90 minute wait for most of our time slot. It wasn’t the most pleasant experience especially when feeling stressed about being under a 4 hour time limit.

That being said, I was pleased with the Falcon and got to ride it another 2 times today. I am anxiously awaiting ROTR, as I know it’ll be even better and will really flesh this land out to be what it was intended to be.

Thank you for this report. Does not bode well for my June 8 visit.

mickEblu

I expect the path from Critter Country to SW:GE to be my preferred entry experience whenever we eventually get there after the insanity of the opening. In cinema terms it's a slow dissolve instead of the jump-cuts of the other entrances, and I anticipate that will ease the transition from the charm of classic DL into this brave new world of Gigantic IP Immersion.

And yes, the land was specifically designed for DL's space, carved-out of Frontierland and backstage, and then adapted slightly for the DHS version with a compass reorientation and a slight spacial clipping of this transitional area, meaning that the running joke on this forum that DL's SW:GE is bigger than DHS's is slightly true.

Agree but are the other entrances really jump cuts? I thought they were also described as slow dissolves, albeit not as slow as the Critter Country entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom