News Disney Riviera Resort announced

MickeyMouse10

Like the swan and dolphin tower over yacht club and boardwalk?

There you go Skippy, you've found one that actually makes more sense. I think Disney should have never allowed Swan and Dolphin to be put on property. It's too visible from multiple locations.

But the resorts are at least separated. Unlike CBR and Riviera, which feel like they are right next to each other.

Last edited:

Spash007

Like the swan and dolphin tower over yacht club and boardwalk?

Just wondering if you've been to CBR since this has been built? The combination of the proximity to each other (closer than Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk is to Swan/Dolphin), and the size difference (more so than GF and Polynesian), along with the sightlines of CBR all around Barefoot Bay make this feel very different in person than the other resorts mentioned. It also doesn't help that CBR is only 2 stories and this is a behemoth in comparison.

Monorail_Red_77

There you go Skippy, you've found one that actually makes more sense. I think Disney should have never allowed Swan and Dolphin to be put on property. It's too visible from multiple locations.

But the resorts are at least separated. Unlike CBR and Riviera, which feel like they are right next to each other.
That was their choice in order to complete EPCOT Center. The developers of EPCOT (The Tishman Group) were given permission to build the Swan and Dolphin buildings on land leased from WDW, due to funding shortfalls. But that's a whole other conversation.

Monorail_Red_77

Y'all seem to be conveniently forgetting that the Swolphin predated Boardwalk, Yacht, and Beach. Disney choose to clash with the "thematic harmony" of the Dolphin and Swan when they created the seaside resort complex. 🙄
Yep. I’ve seen video of the parking lot tram that used to run back there. The literal Boardwalk is older than the Boardwalk Inn. Very weird to see the fancy Boardwalk with no hotel there.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, May 22, 2019. The feature pool slide under construction.

IMG_1354.JPG

I hope there will be an appropriate roof added to this escape stairway....seems out of place.

IMG_1355.JPG

A close-up of the rooftop restaurant and patio area.

IMG_1356.JPG

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
if it's not there now, it's most likely not coming... It is too large an element to pop on the top after all the scaffolding comes down...It would have been framed up with the rest of the building.
Yeah, this building is what it is at this point. It's not like a LEGO set where they are just gonna pop a curved piece on there.

disneyC97

...ugh...
grandfloridian_boxy2013ww.jpg

From a Bioreconstruct tweet a couple days ago, I'm not sure if there are plans to "roof" that section:
D64oKO6W0AA3dWr.jpg:orig

Especially considering how there isn't any other section of the hotel that looks like that part:
D64l00KWwAE8uvd.jpg:orig
I wish at the very least they would have (or still can?) plant some tall palms or even non-palm trees that grow taller for those blank ends of the GF DVC building. It's really so ugly from that angle. The approaches on the monorail coming from the Polynesian and the walkway from the original buildings are fine, but the lagoon-side is awful which is a shame.

trainplane3

I wish at the very least they would have (or still can?) plant some tall palms or even non-palm trees that grow taller for those blank ends of the GF DVC building. It's really so ugly from that angle. The approaches on the monorail coming from the Polynesian and the walkway from the original buildings are fine, but the lagoon-side is awful which is a shame.
Thing is, it'd probably look awkward with trees in those spots. Just big blotches of green in the middle of a pure white building. Some added detail to the building in those spots would work but there's no ROI on doing that.

Lensman

Yeah, this building is what it is at this point. It's not like a LEGO set where they are just gonna pop a curved piece on there.
Yeah, the best we can hope for now is that they paint it blue, then it'll be invisible. Lol

I did notice that there are spots for faux windows with relief in the concrete-work. Maybe they'll paint fake windows and railings on? I wonder if that will look even worse?

The only consolation is that that side of the building isn't visible from any/many of the public areas since it's the loading dock side.

Sorry CBR!
Thing is, it'd probably look awkward with trees in those spots. Just big blotches of green in the middle of a pure white building. Some added detail to the building in those spots would work but there's no ROI on doing that.
View attachment 375057
As I said above, I wonder if it would look worse to just paint on some fake windows and detailing? Unlike Riviera, this side of VGF is actually visible from some significant public areas, right?
but why didn't those units on the end get the benefit of added windows and views? (this is direct waterfront) Why at the very least were there not faux windows added to the structure to at least make it look complete? ...
All hallmarks of shoddy design.
Oops. Yeah, I agree about the faux windows.

I read on another thread that they wanted to keep the rooms more consistent - though I agree that it seems like it would make more sense to have a category of room with even better views and more points? OTOH, I wonder if the windows would interfere with the interior layout? I know that DVC rooms use a lot of the wall space for murphy beds.

ABQ

Oops. Yeah, I agree about the faux windows.

I read on another thread that they wanted to keep the rooms more consistent - though I agree that it seems like it would make more sense to have a category of room with even better views and more points? OTOH, I wonder if the windows would interfere with the interior layout? I know that DVC rooms use a lot of the wall space for murphy beds.
Half of what you see where those blank walls are on the VGF is either bathroom or closet, depending on the direction you are facing. They could have tried to put a window near the end, but that would be over the headboard or a TV, again, depending on the direction, and not feasible honestly. Faux windows would be the only realistic solution to breakup the boring facade.

nicb88

Half of what you see where those blank walls are on the VGF is either bathroom or closet, depending on the direction you are facing. They could have tried to put a window near the end, but that would be over the headboard or a TV, again, depending on the direction, and not feasible honestly. Faux windows would be the only realistic solution to breakup the boring facade.

On the ends of the original outer resort buildings at the GF the stairwells are only semi-enclosed which at least provides some visual interest even if it is only of a staircase. I'm curious as to why this detail wasn't carried over. I don't suppose they would have done this on a new build like Riviera, however.

peter11435

On the ends of the original outer resort buildings at the GF the stairwells are only semi-enclosed which at least provides some visual interest even if it is only of a staircase. I'm curious as to why this detail wasn't carried over. I don't suppose they would have done this on a new build like Riviera, however.
My assumption is that it may have something to with building codes. Just an assumption.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom