News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Lift Blog

Feel like I've kept up with the thread a good bit, and probably impossible to know testing wise and training wise how much they have left, but anybody that's seen them firsthand with a construction background have a guesstimate how far the stations themselves are from completion?

This project is so far out of the ordinary that it's hard to say. Two years ago Doppelmayr built a gondola for the State of New York that went from cabins on to open in ten days. https://www.belleayre.com/the-mountain/mountain-improvements

cindy_k

This guy was doing work on the metal frame work at the Epcot station last night.
One of the Friendship boat captains told me that he gondolas will go 15 mph. :D

Still a bunch of work needed before they can open this station.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
View attachment 374317
This guy was doing work on the metal frame work at the Epcot station last night.
One of the Friendship boat captains told me that he gondolas will go 15 mph. :D

Still a bunch of work needed before they can open this station.
View attachment 374318

Actually this system is capable of 15mph, but we haven't see any evidence that Disney will run it that fast.

Lift Blog

Actually this system is capable of 15mph, but we haven't see any evidence that Disney will run it that fast.
Just because D-Line is capable of 7 m/s doesn't mean the Skyliner is. In fact no Doppelmayr customer has bought one that goes faster than 6.5 m/s to date. The vast majority go between 5 and 6 m/s maximum just like what we've seen the Skyliner going.

DisneyOutsider

Where are the highways and cars that are splitting the beauty of a theme park?

Well, to me the yuckiness of the Speedway in MK has a much worse impact on the park experience than the tiny sliver of Epcot that the Skyliner passes over, but I took your comment as a critique on the gondola as a transport system in total.

Goofyernmost

Well, to me the yuckiness of the Speedway in MK has a much worse impact on the park experience than the tiny sliver of Epcot that the Skyliner passes over, but I took your comment as a critique on the gondola as a transport system in total.
I don't think you will find a child, experiencing his/her first attempt to drive a car like dad and mom speaking out about how yucky the Speedway is. Let the kids have something can't you? And unless you got to WDW on the wings of an angel, please don't regale us with the evil of polluting our world.

Last edited:

joelkfla

Just because D-Line is capable of 7 m/s doesn't mean the Skyliner is. In fact no Doppelmayr customer has bought one that goes faster than 6.5 m/s to date. The vast majority go between 5 and 6 m/s maximum just like what we've seen the Skyliner going.
I was about to say something like that. The technology is capable of faster speeds, but the system may not have been designed for them. I would think that to run at higher speeds, there would need to be longer stations with more accelerating and decelerating tires geared differently to comfortably slow down the cabins to loading speed and speed them back up to line speed.

Last edited:

joelkfla

I saw something interesting today. I took a ride on my ecv along the BVD sidewalk to view the Epcot line east of Speedway. It seems to me that the towers are further apart on this segment and there's more slack in the rope. When they stopped the rope a couple of times, the cabins bounced straight up and down for maybe 15 seconds! It looked they were moving at least 2 or 3 feet vertically at first. I can see where this could be quite frightening to riders who are not too comfortable with the system to start with.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I saw something interesting today. I took a ride on my ecv along the BVD sidewalk to view the Epcot line east of Speedway. It seems to me that the towers are further apart on this segment and there's more slack in the rope. When they stopped the rope a couple of times, the cabins bounced straight up and down for maybe 15 seconds! It looked they were moving at least 2 or 3 feet vertically at first. I can see where this could be quite frightening to riders who are not too comfortable with the system to start with.
They can adjust the bullwheels to pull out some of the slack.

Patcheslee

Was the Epcot line fully loaded yet? It will have less slack once it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom