DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

kthomas105

Here is the latest photo from @Bioreconstruct on Twitter of the new security structure construction outside of DHS.

kthomas105

So skyway travelers will travel without being screened.... surprised by that decision.

And boat travelers will get screened where?
They are building this structure in phases in order to limit the disruption of crowd flows any further than they already are. It has been suggested the overall layout of the security structure will resemble an “L” when finished. Boat travelers and skyway passengers will be screened in the same structure as parking lot tram and bus passengers. This structure will be quite large and should accommodate all guest in a centralized area. The skyway is outside the “security perimeter” at all of its station locations.

Goofyernmost

They are building this structure in phases in order to limit the disruption of crowd flows any further than they already are. It has been suggested the overall layout of the security structure will resemble an “L” when finished. Boat travelers and skyway passengers will be screened in the same structure as parking lot tram and bus passengers. This structure will be quite large and should accommodate all guest in a centralized area. The skyway is outside the “security perimeter” at all of its station locations.
Yes, but, until the thing is completed I suspect that they will be routed around to the completed section and will not be just let in with no security check. When completed it will just be a shorter walk.

kthomas105

Yes, but, until the thing is completed I suspect that they will be routed around to the completed section and will not be just let in with no security check. When completed it will just be a shorter walk.
Correct, foundation work for the almost completed side started about 20 weeks ago. So once they are able to begin on the rest of the structure you can estimate it will take at most about the same time. I would assume they would like to have it finished for SWGE however so I suspect it will take less time. It will only be an inconvenience for a small portion of the masses for a short period of time.

TrainsOfDisney

Ah ok, it makes more sense now that I realize this is the first half.

And yes I understand the skyway guests will not be screened before boarding, I’m just surprised at that decision.

kthomas105

Ah ok, it makes more sense now that I realize this is the first half.

And yes I understand the skyway guests will not be screened before boarding, I’m just surprised at that decision.
I’m sure there’s is a reason that has been mentioned in the skyway/gondola thread as to why it is outside of the perimeter, if you are brave enough to consider reading it.

mm121

Looks good, glad they put some trees in the sea of concrete outside the new security.

Some benches or planters would have been nice but I understand leaving them out for security reasons.

Kinda surprised they didn't install some either fencing or pull down gates in the new security structure to block the closed lanes instead of just a chain across then always having to have someone guard them.

SmartSelect_20190514-143839_Samsung Internet.jpg

Found a pic that explains this corner a little better, so maybe it's not entirely finished yet.

They were currently using it as an exit.
DFD3B0F6-A1E7-4956-961B-BF94AC04819C-1200x900.jpeg

I'd definitely still recommend some fencing or something instead of chains with a do not enter sign to prevent people from tossing a bag through the not strongly supervised area.

Last edited:

halltd

I was half expecting an improved bag search and X-ray experience. Ya know, like when security areas at airports are designed as new instead of retrofits. Maybe it’s hard to tell from the pictures, but it still just looks like tables and plopped down X-ray machines. Opportunity lost I guess.

TrainsOfDisney

I was half expecting an improved bag search and X-ray experience. Ya know, like when security areas at airports are designed as new instead of retrofits. Maybe it’s hard to tell from the pictures, but it still just looks like tables and plopped down X-ray machines. Opportunity lost I guess.

Agreed, I was hoping for a bit more polish to the entrance experience, not just a more permanent look, but the look is 100 times better than a bunch of white tents so I’ll give them that.

Maybe when all the entrances get up and going they can get together and make some multi-language signage that clearly explains what type of procedure to expect.

IMDREW

So does everyone now has to go through the metal detectors? Or is it still random? I always get picked out at “random”.. I guess it’s because I have a middle eastern look. Was really hoping they’d change that cause it does make me feel unfair when I get picked for extra security..

mm121

So does everyone now has to go through the metal detectors? Or is it still random? I always get picked out at “random”.. I guess it’s because I have a middle eastern look. Was really hoping they’d change that cause it does make me feel unfair when I get picked for extra security..
If they haven't done so already I'd say they are moving towards metal detectors for everyone.

Now with this new structure they have a place to put the equipment that's more guaranteed to keep it dry then just having it under tents.

Rider

Looks good, glad they put some trees in the sea of concrete outside the new security.

Some benches or planters would have been nice but I understand leaving them out for security reasons.

Kinda surprised they didn't install some either fencing or pull down gates in the new security structure to block the closed lanes instead of just a chain across then always having to have someone guard them.

View attachment 372333

Found a pic that explains this corner a little better, so maybe it's not entirely finished yet.

They were currently using it as an exit.
View attachment 372374

I'd definitely still recommend some fencing or something instead of chains with a do not enter sign to prevent people from tossing a bag through the not strongly supervised area.

Just like the main gates (after they added touchpoints) I imagine they use ropes because metal gates or walls give off the wrong feeling in people. You think of a closed mall, subway station, or worse: JAIL instead of Disney World.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Also I suspect that we may see metal detectors included under the roof of the section about to be built. The section open currently may be intended as exit only once the entire structure is finished. That said, I think they’ll need every lane they can get following GE opening

CalebS

When I was there last week for 6 park days all the parks were sending everyone through the metal detectors except for DAK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom