Star Wars Land Demand vs Capacity

Trackmaster

But at this point, its just going to mean that you won't be able to get FP+ for anything. GE is going to draw ginormous crowds for HS, and they'll all be fighting over the FP+ for RRC, ToT, and Slinky. You won't have a prayer at them unless you stay on site or know about pounding. I just thought that adding GE to tier 1 would have taken some pressure off of the other FP+.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But at this point, its just going to mean that you won't be able to get FP+ for anything. GE is going to draw ginormous crowds for HS, and they'll all be fighting over the FP+ for RRC, ToT, and Slinky. You won't have a prayer at them unless you stay on site or know about pounding. I just thought that adding GE to tier 1 would have taken some pressure off of the other FP+.

Exaclty...so everyone will prebook a toy story, rockinrrollercoaster and tower for the first or second half of their day...then wait the lines the other half.

All the lines are gonna be a nightmare and that park is too small to begin with. Falling behind on the Mickey ride is a huge operational error too.

It’s going to be awful...even though I hope I’m wrong

SirWillow

I can remember waiting 2 hours for pirates of the Caribbean pre fastpass...one of the highest capacity rides in the park. That was 1992...check the attendance figures then as compared to now.

2 hours? The only possible way you waited 2 hours for Pirates is if you were there Christmas week, and even then it's highly doubtful as the longest waits I ever saw on it in 5 years working there was 90 minutes, and that was during Christmas, with the park at capacity. Unless there was something else that happened that caused the ride to close and you never left the line during that time, I'm thinking that's your memory playing tricks on you.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
2 hours? The only possible way you waited 2 hours for Pirates is if you were there Christmas week, and even then it's highly doubtful as the longest waits I ever saw on it in 5 years working there was 90 minutes, and that was during Christmas, with the park at capacity. Unless there was something else that happened that caused the ride to close and you never left the line during that time, I'm thinking that's your memory playing tricks on you.

Nope...it was June.

The crowd distribution has shifted a lot since then. At that time it was mobbed still in summers, Christmas and Easter and dead January, may, sept-November...

So that is a difference.

But the aggregate daily crowds are much higher on average now. Attendance was in the 30 mil range (guess) around then....it was 42 for the 2000 period...probably 55 this year.

What have they added to stunt the blow since dak?

Not much.

Just wait...the reports will be coming in soon enough.

180 minute wait for the millennium star tours at 6:15 in the morning

Trackmaster

Pretty much every time I ride Pirates, I'm just disappointed that I used a FP+ on it, when its a total walk-on. Its pretty high capacity and beyond its prime. I end up getting FP+ for it for my And 1 FP+'s when I'm trying to get over to that side of the park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Pretty much every time I ride Pirates, I'm just disappointed that I used a FP+ on it, when its a total walk-on. Its pretty high capacity and beyond its prime. I end up getting FP+ for it for my And 1 FP+'s when I'm trying to get over to that side of the park.

It is very much past it’s prime...but is an innings eater.

The fast pass system has affected different rides in different ways. Pirates with its double queues was easily adaptable.
Haunted mansion and Peter Pan were not

Trackmaster

It is very much past it’s prime...but is an innings eater.

The fast pass system has affected different rides in different ways. Pirates with its double queues was easily adaptable.
Haunted mansion and Peter Pan were not

Innings eater?? LOL is that a baseball long relief reference? AKA mop-up pitcher.

I think that they could at least refurbish Pirates and change around the story and some of the props to make it new and interesting again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Innings eater?? LOL is that a baseball long relief reference? AKA mop-up pitcher.

I think that they could at least refurbish Pirates and change around the story and some of the props to make it new and interesting again.

It is...

They certainly could use a refresh on pirates and others...

But at the end of the day they are very old rides. With proper investment, they could be low wait solid attractions that make the parks get back to the way they were designed - that is fun and readily available

winstongator

And I would actually disagree with you on that. Removing it from FP+ is the one way to guarantee that the standby lines will be moving at a consistent pace, and keep the waiting down to a lower amount for everyone. It's also going to reduce the chances of people having temper fits over others with fast passes- which normally might not be a problem but in the mass of humanity that will be Star Wars may very well be. it at least removes that chance.

But then I'm also one of those of the opinion that wishes FP+ would be removed completely from the parks, and find the events and times where it's not being used much much more enjoyable with shorter waits.
It also quadruples the number of people in the queue for a given standby wait. Where to stick 5,000 people? In line!

Trackmaster

Fast pass was designed with several purposes...one absolutely crowd balancing

To say dumping fastpass would alleviate lines is simply incorrect.

Yeah, the FP+ is here to stay, or another variant will take its place. I think it makes a lot of sense in many ways. Just be happy that its free, and its not like every other park chain that just lets people pay a fee to cut in front of you.

jaklgreen

Indeed. My wife got Avatar on DVD when it came out, watched it and the extras around that time, and it's now been in the extra DVDs stored in the basement since. There hasn't been a desire to watch it again since.

Makes me wonder how the sequels will fare, given the time between. On top of that, watching the movie a second time revealed a lot of bad writing that made it more an overrated movie for me than anything.

Beyond that, I love the area in AK. Beautiful theming and the one ride (the Na'vi River) was nicely done. But you could name it anything and the look and ride technology would still be as impressive. It didn't need to be named for Avatar.

I think the movie did well originally because of the hype of it being a James Cameron movie. His other movies were good. We did not like Avatar at all. It was not well written and the story was the same, evil, greedy men want something that someone else has. If anyone else had put out the movie, I don't think that it would have done nearly as well. I don't think the new movies will do well. Just talking to people about the movie, many did not like it.

Trackmaster

I think the movie did well originally because of the hype of it being a James Cameron movie. His other movies were good. We did not like Avatar at all. It was not well written and the story was the same, evil, greedy men want something that someone else has. If anyone else had put out the movie, I don't think that it would have done nearly as well. I don't think the new movies will do well. Just talking to people about the movie, many did not like it.

I'm not so sure about that claim. That would explain the box office if it got almost all of its money in the opening weekend, but it was notorious for having a modest opening, and really cleaning up and making its money by selling out theaters forever. It was #1 for a very long time. Same with Titanic. I think that it actually did have great word of mouth, and everybody just wanted to experience the thrill ride. I thought it was kind of stupid, but it was fun. I probably wouldn't watch it on Netflix again, but i'm glad I saw it in the theatre, and I'll watch the sequels on the best screen that I can.

Goofnut1980

Someone may have mentioned this but unlike Toy Story Land and Pandora, there are only one of those in the US. Star Wars will have east coast and west coast. That should also help with ONE park getting the brunt of the guests.

Trackmaster

ITS like Jurrasic park. Mediocre story and action but The technology Carries IT at The time.

Put IT this way, at The time IT was great to watch in The Theater but mediocre to watch on TV.

I don't under the capitalization decisions for "IT" and "The". Are you trying to say something by making IT look like an abbreviation and The a proper noun?

Trackmaster

Someone may have mentioned this but unlike Toy Story Land and Pandora, there are only one of those in the US. Star Wars will have east coast and west coast. That should also help with ONE park getting the brunt of the guests.

Yeah... good luck with that. I think that's highly unlikely. DL is more of a local market, and WDW gets more of the tourism across America. DL obviously gets a lot as well, but the tourists are more from the west coast. And WDW tourists are more likely to be from the east coasts. So there may be some overlap from guests, but they also tend to stick to their parks.

Last edited:

DISR

Original Poster
So maybe a good follow-up question to my original post is, "has limited capacity actually reduced demand?" Are people staying away because they figure they won't get to experience the attractions anyway? I was at WDW for 3 days in August and could not get FP's for FoP from 7:00 am 60 days out to the day I departed. Standby wait times were usually in the 180 minute range...sometimes more. This is almost 2 1/2 years after opening. It would hard to specifically plan a trip to WDW for SWGE if I expected the same level of difficulty in experiencing the attractions that I still do at Pandora.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah... good luck with that. I think that's highly unlikely. DL is more of a local market, and WDW gets more of the tourism across America. DL obviously gets a lot as well, but the tourists are more from the west coast. And WDW tourists are more likely to be from the east coasts. So there may be some overlap from guests, but they also tend to stick to their parks.
My guess:

Neither will be heavily attended due to mismanagement choices with the IP coming to a head 😉

I also can predict the 1998 Super Bowl...Broncos with the Upset

Trackmaster

So maybe a good follow-up question to my original post is, "has limited capacity actually reduced demand?" Are people staying away because they figure they won't get to experience the attractions anyway? I was at WDW for 3 days in August and could not get FP's for FoP from 7:00 am 60 days out to the day I departed. Standby wait times were usually in the 180 minute range...sometimes more. This is almost 2 1/2 years after opening. It would hard to specifically plan a trip to WDW for SWGE if I expected the same level of difficulty in experiencing the attractions that I still do at Pandora.

I'd imagine so. Contrary to popular belief, most people do hate extreme lines and extreme crowds. So you have to imagine that the supply/demand curve is a sloped one when it comes to how long people will wait. You'll notice that lines for rides work like compartments on a ship. Some rides will be walk-ons most of the time, but once the desirable rides get out of hand, the undesirable rides start to fill up and get normal waits. It reflects people's aversion to lines and trade-off they'll make to ride an underwhelming ride for a shorter wait.

There are probably many guests out there savvy enough to wait out an opening of a ride to let the hype settle down. The ones who still go just have a serious case of FOMO, or just enjoy the hype and crowds in itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom