Rumor Disneyland Tomorrowland Future - What to do?

We all know that Disney will have to do something with Tomorrowland soon, what do you want to see?

• Demo it and start over with a new theme.

• Demo it and start over with same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain and keep same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain but retheme the land.

• Remove only certain attractions but keep the same theme.

• Remove only certain attractions but retheme the land.

• Go retro and bring back '67 Tomorrowland.

• Don't touch Tomorrowland at all, leave everything the way it is, its my favorite land!

Results are only viewable after voting.

mickEblu

A Disneyland AP I'm familiar with apparently has a source and the source talked about Tomorrowland. (I know it sounds like "a friend of an uncle of my cousin's nephew said" but bear with me) This is the info he gave about the TL refurbishment.

- The refurbishment is expected to be announced at D23 in 2021.

- The Autopia would go the way of the dodo. They have tested sightlines and hight, presumably for a show building for Frozen.

- The subs would be gone, but the lagoon would stay.

- There is a Tron ride coming, but it's not Lightcycle Power Run. It'll be a new ride designed by Joe Rohde. The Tron ride is a thrill ride that weaves around TL, giving you great views of the land and other attractions. Think a high capacity Rocket Rods. The Tron theme was forced on it against DL management's wishes.

- Lightcycle Power Run will instead go to Marvel Land, presumably as the Avengers coaster.

- The new E-ticket attraction will be an overhauled Space Mountain. The idea is to make a much larger show building with better projection effects in the ride. The Magic Eye Theater would be demolished to become the new queue with a pre-show. The ride itself will be nothing like the current Space Mountain. It would feature longer trains and inversions. Similar to Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris.

That's all the info the source gave. If true, I'd think this plan would suffer budget cuts and be compromised. Again, that's if it's true.

What do you guys think?

I think I like your post much better than the Micechat article.

Lagoon stays: WIN
Tron: Not a clone but created specifically for DL while paying homage to the Rocket Rods: WIN
Space Mountain redo: not sure how I feel about this as I’m rather fond of the current track layout but if we re going to get some modern projections/ effects and more thrills I can dig it. Can we get some drops with those inversions though?

mharrington

A Disneyland AP I'm familiar with apparently has a source and the source talked about Tomorrowland. (I know it sounds like "a friend of an uncle of my cousin's nephew said" but bear with me) This is the info he gave about the TL refurbishment.

- The Autopia would go the way of the dodo. They have tested sightlines and hight, presumably for a show building for Frozen.

- There is a Tron ride coming, but it's not Lightcycle Power Run. It'll be a new ride designed by Joe Rohde. The Tron ride is a thrill ride that weaves around TL, giving you great views of the land and other attractions. Think a high capacity Rocket Rods. The Tron theme was forced on it against DL management's wishes.

- Lightcycle Power Run will instead go to Marvel Land, presumably as the Avengers coaster.

- The new E-ticket attraction will be an overhauled Space Mountain. The idea is to make a much larger show building with better projection effects in the ride. The Magic Eye Theater would be demolished to become the new queue with a pre-show. The ride itself will be nothing like the current Space Mountain. It would feature longer trains and inversions. Similar to Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris.

That's all the info the source gave. If true, I'd think this plan would suffer budget cuts and be compromised. Again, that's if it's true.

What do you guys think?

What about Buzz and Star Tours? And also the Carousel Theater? I hope Buzz and Star Tours remain, and also that the Carousel Theater space is used for the entrance to the ride.

Californian Elitist

What do you guys think?

Sounds like a bunch of fanboi shizz.

Practical Pig

I don't claim to be. I have my suspicions and doubts on this info. I decided to pass it along because I want to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Playing along, I like the idea of a more capable show building and possibly a retooled track for Space Mountain, though I also like the existing track. I question whether inversion(s) are a good idea or needed. They intimidate younger and more timid riders (not me) and DCA feels to me to be a better place for that. Also, I don't see Disney popping for a demo and re-design/re-build for a ride that is consistently packed. Unless this is a scorched Earth TL re-boot, which I doubt.

I also like the notion of a different Tron ride if Tron has to come. The copy/paste Shanghai version is a bad fit for DL's Tomorrowland. But after what Joe Rhodes, with his admirable credentials, did the exterior of GOTG:MB, I would want veto power.

mharrington

And also, if this does get those cutbacks, wouldn't this mean the same problem as with Rocket Rods before it? Such as unbanked turns and stops and starts everywhere?

britain

I just don't see them rebuilding Space Mountain when they DID rebuild it back in 2005, and that was only because sudden track damage forced them to tear out and replace it all. The current version still has many years to go before they'd need to do that again.

If there's any truth to these rumors, I think a WDW Space Mountain rebuild is getting mixed up in there. THAT coaster could definitely use the rebuild.

T.Will

What about Buzz and Star Tours? And also the Carousel Theater?
Last the topic was discussed, he claimed his source said Carousel Theater would be destroyed, no matter what. Astro Blasters would probably stay. Star Tours would close and be replaced with something else, possibly an original idea but would use the same ride system.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I also like the notion of a different Tron ride if Tron has to come. The copy/paste Shanghai version is a bad fit for DL's Tomorrowland. But after what Joe Rhodes, with his admirable credentials, did the exterior of GOTG:MB, I would want veto power.

I couldn’t wrap my head around how would work in our TL. This Tron Rocket rod rumor makes a lot more sense for our TL.

SuddenStorm

I just don't see them rebuilding Space Mountain when they DID rebuild it back in 2005, and that was only because sudden track damage forced them to tear out and replace it all. The current version still has many years to go before they'd need to do that again.

If there's any truth to these rumors, I think a WDW Space Mountain rebuild is getting mixed up in there. THAT coaster could definitely use the rebuild.

Not to mention, Space Mountain is beloved... the building is built to a very specific scale to preserve the sightlines and feel of the park. It's iconic and as pure "Disneyland" as you can get.

They should be wary changing any of the mountains at Disneyland...

mickEblu

Not to mention, Space Mountain is beloved... the building is built to a very specific scale to preserve the sightlines and feel of the park. It's iconic and as pure "Disneyland" as you can get.

They should be wary changing any of the mountains at Disneyland...

Shoot I was so focused on the inside I didn’t consider the outside. For some reason I assumed the outside shell would remain the same even though he did say it Would be a much larger show building.

britain

Last the topic was discussed, he claimed his source said Carousel Theater would be destroyed, no matter what. Astro Blasters would probably stay. Star Tours would close and be replaced with something else, possibly an original idea but would use the same ride system.

Thanks for sharing what you've heard. We appreciate good rumor fodder! But I don't think this jibes (or is it jives?) with the recent "Bulldoze it all except Space Mt" murmurings we've been hearing from a few sources now.

mickEblu

Thanks for sharing what you've heard. We appreciate good rumor fodder! But I don't think this jibes (or is it jives?) with the recent "Bulldoze it all except Space Mt" murmurings we've been hearing from a few sources now.

If I recall correctly the last detail Marni mentioned was that it wasn’t a complete demo/rebuild. The version of Tron that @T.Will mentioned sounds much more doable in our TL. I was having a really hard time imagining Tron light cycle run with DLs constraints- Space Mountain/ proximity of Matterhorn. It also jives with what we heard about a portion of it being by the hub.

Last edited:

T.Will

The last bit about Star Tours and the like was from a bit back, so maybe something changed or something. Otherwise, fair point.

If it's all false, I'll tell the DL AP to get a better source. Or just leave it to the pros.

(it's "jives" by the way ;))

SuddenStorm

Shoot I was so focused on the inside I didn’t consider the outside. For some reason I assumed the outside shell would remain the same even though he did say it Would be a much larger show building.

Yep... and even the same thing but larger would be cause for concern. I'm reminded of the many stories that are told about how they had to lower the foundation and stuff to keep the ride from dwarfing the castle.

Though it seems modern Imagineering's approach differs from the days of old.

socalifornian

Yep... and even the same thing but larger would be cause for concern. I'm reminded of the many stories that are told about how they had to lower the foundation and stuff to keep the ride from dwarfing the castle.

Though it seems modern Imagineering's approach differs from the days of old.
I’m glad they cared back then. Can’t imagine MKs build here
CECBBBF3-3D80-4891-B96A-62BB8531547F.jpeg

britain

If I recall correctly the last detail Marni mentioned was that it wasn’t a complete demo/rebuild. The version of Tron that @T.Will mentioned sounds much more doable in our TL. I was having a really hard time imagining Tron light cycle run with DLs constraints- Space Mountain/ proximity of Matterhorn. It also jives with what we heard about a portion of it being by the hub.

Good morning!

Yes but @marni1971 also was the first to say Tron was heading to the Subs/Autopia and NOT to Innoventions as everyone was speculating.

If Tron was simply a better built Rocket Rods, I don’t know why you’d need the huge subs area.

The “Marvel land is getting the cycle coaster” seems like the Capt America cycle coaster rumor from 2017. Might be true, but again seems a little old.

shambolicdefending

I love getting the rumors and gossip scoops. I hope they keep coming. But, with both Tomorrowland and Fantasyland rumors, we are talking about stuff that is still years away from being shovel ready. I think the odds must be extremely high that whatever is planned today will not be what is ultimately executed.

The first few phases of Marvel stuff in DCA might be getting close to final blueprint stages, but even that is probably subject to major changes depending on a lot of factors.

Touchdown

I imagine the subs area would be the “spaghetti bowl” area where the ride would reach its max speed and it’s most intense segment either at the start of the ride (with a victory lap through Tomorrowland) or the climax at the end of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom