Mickey’s (Faliure)magic OR The Non-Repeatability of the Film Theater Shows at the DLR

Rich T

They always felt like a gimmick that didn't add anything major to the picture. The biggest issue I had/have with 3D is the glasses, specifically that they mute the color palette of the film. Muting the entire color palette of the film for 3D depth effects which, imo, do not improve the actual film isn't worth it.

Now in theme parks spectacle is part of the experience, which is why it makes perfect sense for me to see a 3D film in a theme park whose entire point is "look at this thing popping out at you!"
Major 3D releases are *supposed* to compensate with brightness and color adjustments (and brighter projection), but it usually doesn't work out that way in local theaters, unfortunately. The really great 3D movie experiences are few and far between. And I'll admit, sometimes it only matters in specific scenes. Zootopia had a great moment at the end: the final concert celebration was staged so that, in the theaters in 3D, the film concert crowd seemed to flow out of the screen and blend perfectly with the people in the real life theater. It's moments like that still get me to try for a 3D screening, but I'll admit I'm usually disappointed to find mediocre use of the format.

trainplane3

They saw this thread.

I love how the majority of this is just people stating objective facts about what the attraction is.
Great reviews such as:
It's 3d
It's a 3d movie
It's a 3d movie with Mickey

and of course
It's a magical 3d movie with Mickey

I'm getting flashbacks to when people asked me how I felt about Justice League. "It's a movie. Oh it sure was a movie. And I'm out $9 because of it."

truecoat

They always felt like a gimmick that didn't add anything major to the picture. The biggest issue I had/have with 3D is the glasses, specifically that they mute the color palette of the film. Muting the entire color palette of the film for 3D depth effects which, imo, do not improve the actual film isn't worth it.

Now in theme parks spectacle is part of the experience, which is why it makes perfect sense for me to see a 3D film in a theme park whose entire point is "look at this thing popping out at you!"
One thing for me about most 3-D movies is that I don't notice the effect anymore and I have to lift my glasses to see what the difference is. The Phantom Menace was re-released in 3-D. The 3-D effect was so subtle that after it was done, I was wondering why they even bothered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom