Trip Report 2019 "It's Been a Long, Long Time" Trip Report *COMPLETED*

My husband and I just got back from our week at WDW yesterday and I will be starting this trip report soon. To give everyone a reminder, we were there from April 27th to May 4th and were doing a split stay at three resorts - Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, and AKL Kidani Village. Also, every trip we hear one song more often than any other, which becomes our theme song for the trip, which strangely usually also coincides with something that happened in our trip - and this year was no different. I'll explain the title of this report in a later installment. I do have to say that I have mixed feelings about WDW after this trip and I'm not totally sure I can put those feelings into words. I still LOVE the resort and can't wait to go back but there was something different this trip that I can't quite figure out. We were focusing less on the parks and more on the resorts and other experiences so may be that had something to do with it. I'll try to explain during future entries. I did write my thoughts in a journal this time so that I didn't forget the small details. Did we accomplish everything we wanted to do and see? Was there any family drama this year? Stay tuned :)

DisneyGigi

Wednesday, May 1st

We had plans to sleep in and relax today since we didn't have anywhere to be until 7PM when we were going to the After Hours event at HS. We even cancelled breakfast at Trails End so we could sleep in. But construction work at Coronado Springs before 9AM had other ideas. We were further from the construction, and we could never find the cause, but it was a very loud jackhammer.

I wasn't ready for breakfast but we went to the food court so R could get something to eat. If not, he turns into a bad tempered Gremlin. Despite all of the better sounding food options, he went with the French toast.

View attachment 371164

But after he got it he made the comment that he regretted not getting one of the breakfast bowls. But he often times reverts back to a little boy who wanted nothing but French toast. Now that he's almost 40, his stomach is still that of a little boy sometimes and he has to make himself try new foods outside of his comfort zone. So this breakfast was not very satisfying LOL.

We caught the bus at HS since it was the first one that came so we could go visit Wilderness Lodge for DVC research since this is one of the few deluxes I hadn't yet visited. That's when we saw a young 20 something year old man strutting around with his shirt off in front of the buses trying to get attention :rolleyes: Yep, I'm firmly in middle age because all I wanted to do was tell the guy that he needed to go eat a cupcake or two. It's not like he was The Rock or anything LOL. The bus for Wilderness Lodge was already there right across from our drop off so it was a very easy bus switch. We explored WL. And while I really liked it, R just wasn't feeling it. I'm still not sure why but he really didn't like the theming.

View attachment 371165

What's not to like about this? Almost 17 years together and I'll never understand how that guy's brain works!!!

View attachment 371166

So we caught a boat to Fort Wilderness so that I could finally see Tri Circle D Ranch. I found out later that this section will be demolished for the new DVC resort so I'm glad I saw it this trip. I was getting hungry so I was going to get something there but forgot my credit card with the 10% off with Disney Visa. I was determined to try to save as much money as I could this trip - it came a game to me. We had discussing renting a boat and the weather was great but R said he thought the water was too choppy with the wind blowing. Seriously? That had to be one of the saddest excuses from a wannabe sailor that I've ever heard :banghead: One thing to know about R is that he's scared of change - hates it, not comfortable with it, and will avoid it at all costs. He was not happy last year when I changed resorts from Riverside to Coronado. And he was dreading the 3 resort stays this trip, 2 of which were new to him.

View attachment 371167

My family had a few horses when I was little before we moved and R's father in Puerto Rico owned several horses at one time. Since we both come from horse nut families and were around them when we were young, we look for any reason to hang out with horses. I love the smell from a stable. Some hate it but it has an old comfortable feeling to me. Even though I was never allowed in our stable alone when I was little, I loved going there with my elders. Apparently, we had one crazy horse that couldn't be trusted - eventually they had to find her a new home. She cornered my Mom one too many times while cleaning out the stall.

View attachment 371168

These horses are so pretty - and HUGE! I took a lot of pictures but I'm only sharing a few here.

View attachment 371170

We saw the newest baby pony and her mother get a bath. One loved it, the other not so much LOL. I wanted so badly to get in there and help. I followed the rules that were posted and did not touch any of the horses. Even when one in the stables stuck his nose our at me. Horses typically love me as well so it was hard to fight the urge to rub his nose. But I talked to him plenty and explained the situation and why I couldn't :joyfull:

View attachment 371169

Since we decided to not get lunch there (and he didn't want to rent a boat), we just went back to the resort for lunch and time at the pool. Funny story about this - in all of our trips, we have NEVER gotten into a pool at Disney. Last year, we got close when we soaked our legs in CSR's hot tub :)

The view of Bay Lake and the construction. Even with wearing sunscreen, I felt my burns from Epcot getting worse while we were on the boat to MK. We were originally sitting inside away from the sun, but R wanted to sit outside and feel the breeze. Except there was no breeze on this larger boat. Luckily, the love bug irritation was minor.

View attachment 371171

We got back to our room and changed into our bathing suits and made the long trek to the main pool at the Dig Site. Cheerleaders were everywhere taking up all of the good seats but we did find a table with umbrella so we could have lunch. I ordered the gluten free mahi mahi tacos made with corn tortillas and tropical fruit pico de gallo. These were really good!!! I would definitely order again. I much preferred the food here over the food court. R decided to order the same thing after he had a few bites of mine. A piece of fish dropped on my plate and before I could pick it up a bird swooped in and stole it. I guess I should be thankful that he didn't take it from inside my taco while I was eating it! After we both finished eat, we found a chaise on the other side of the pool. We actually made it into the pool but I couldn't talk the husband into going on the slide. I wanted to but decided to stick with him. I regretted that decision later.

View attachment 371175

After cooling off in pool, I went and sat in the hot tub. Mainly because I had to get away from one cheerleader's mother that was sitting behind me who was on her cell phone telling stories about getting drunk in World Showcase and some stupid stuff her daughter was doing that she thought was hilarious. Hot tub was mostly empty so it was a lot more relaxing. The cloud you see eventually caused some rain, which cleared out the pool area. Which never makes sense to me because it's just rain and you're already wet from being in a pool. Why are you running from rain drops?? I'll never understand.

View attachment 371177

Soon it was time to leave my favorite resort pool (so far) and go back to the room to get ready for the After Hours event. I debated whether doing the After Hours event this day at Hollywood Studios or Thursday at MK. I went with HS for a few reasons: 1, I wanted to experience all the daytime entertainment at MK I never get to see - Dapper Days, the Orchestra, Trolley Show, etc. and 2, HS is my least favorite park but wanted to experience it with minimal crowds.
Getting caught up sitting here watch it rain at the beach. I say the same thing about rain at WDW or anywhere else but when it storms on the beach that stuff hurts with the wind blowing it on you. We didn’t run tho. ;)

Horse smells- there is not a better smell! We used to have horses and I never minded cleaning the stalls. It is a smell that you do either love or hate ai guess. I love the smell of nuzzling a horse’s nose. My Walking Horse loved to nuzzle nose to cheek with me. I miss it!!
The cheerleaders were still terrible when we got there too. B witnessed a mom kick luggage across the lobby screaming and throwing a fit. It was insane. He said the daughter was terribly embarrassed. 😑 Hope you Gallbladder symptoms are doing better.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Just binge read your entire report. Loved the pics and details of the three resorts I am not that familiar with ~ only 2 stays at CSR, one at CBR and 0 at Kidani (though I did have a Sunset Savannah view room at AKL which was fabulous!) Glad you had no family drama this trip but a big UGH for all the rude guest encounters.

As a reminder, the 50th celebration won’t officially start until 10/1/21 and will likely last all of 2022, so you may want to plan for the 50th in 2022 (when all the new stuff is open) and sneak in a quick trip after your cruise. 😉

LeighM

Original Poster
Just binge read your entire report. Loved the pics and details of the three resorts I am not that familiar with ~ only 2 stays at CSR, one at CBR and 0 at Kidani (though I did have a Sunset Savannah view room at AKL which was fabulous!) Glad you had no family drama this trip but a big UGH for all the rude guest encounters.

As a reminder, the 50th celebration won’t officially start until 10/1/21 and will likely last all of 2022, so you may want to plan for the 50th in 2022 (when all the new stuff is open) and sneak in a quick trip after your cruise. 😉

I guess that means I have to go back in both 2021 AND 2022 :) No complaints from me LOL.

LeighM

Original Poster
Getting caught up sitting here watch it rain at the beach. I say the same thing about rain at WDW or anywhere else but when it storms on the beach that stuff hurts with the wind blowing it on you. We didn’t run tho. ;)

Horse smells- there is not a better smell! We used to have horses and I never minded cleaning the stalls. It is a smell that you do either love or hate ai guess. I love the smell of nuzzling a horse’s nose. My Walking Horse loved to nuzzle nose to cheek with me. I miss it!!
The cheerleaders were still terrible when we got there too. B witnessed a mom kick luggage across the lobby screaming and throwing a fit. It was insane. He said the daughter was terribly embarrassed. 😑 Hope you Gallbladder symptoms are doing better.

Behavior like that is totally uncalled for - wonder what set her off. I guess growing up around horses I never developed the fear of them that some of my friends have. R has talked about getting a couple of horses one day but I talk him out of it. Too expensive and more responsibility than he really wants. Work takes up too much of his time and he doesn't have enough hours in the day.

LeighM

Original Poster
So sorry you came home to a mess you didn’t expect to find ☹

It's happened each time we've used a young house sitter. I guess it's a generational thing or something lol. I would only use one plate, fork, cup, and spoon the entire week and wash it after each use. It would never cross my mind to use a different plate each time....

Rista1313

It's happened each time we've used a young house sitter. I guess it's a generational thing or something lol. I would only use one plate, fork, cup, and spoon the entire week and wash it after each use. It would never cross my mind to use a different plate each time....
and I always left the house cleaner than when I got there! I'm really scared for the younger generations!

LeighM

Original Poster
and I always left the house cleaner than when I got there! I'm really scared for the younger generations!

I know right?! When my friend house sat for us, she vacuumed every room, dusted, swept the floors, changed the sheets, washed the laundry, took out all her trash, disinfected the kitchen. It was so nice coming home to a house that was clean and all I had to do was unpack and relax. At my last job, we had college interns that worried me - they didn't know how to address an envelope or write a check, didn't know what a PO Box or area code were. It was scary. Someone asked the girl how she made calls on her cell phone without knowing what an area code was. You know her response? My dad programmed all the numbers into my phone....

LeighM

Original Poster
For those of you that followed my trip report last year, you knew there was some drama during the trip from R's side of the family and, about a week after we came home, R's step father died unexpectedly. I hate to say that it's happened again. The wife of R's close cousin died suddenly today after having her gallbladder removed. They did tests a couple of days ago and it showed her gallbladder wasn't functioning properly. They removed it 2 days ago and she was doing fine but they kept her admitted because of pain and nausea. She died suddenly today at the age of 36 because of a blood clot :(

Rista1313

For those of you that followed my trip report last year, you knew there was some drama during the trip from R's side of the family and, about a week after we came home, R's step father died unexpectedly. I hate to say that it's happened again. The wife of R's close cousin died suddenly today after having her gallbladder removed. They did tests a couple of days ago and it showed her gallbladder wasn't functioning properly. They removed it 2 days ago and she was doing fine but they kept her admitted because of pain and nausea. She died suddenly today at the age of 36 because of a blood clot :(

Oh goodness I'm so sorry!

Swissmiss

Premium Member

How awful! So sorry for your loss.

LeighM

Original Poster
How awful! So sorry for your loss.

Thank you. I wasn't very close to her because she lived half way across the country but she was a very nice person and her and her husband (my husband's cousin) have gone through too much heartbreak the last several years. I worry for him because he's already in a very tough situation and has some serious health issues of his own :(

riverside

I'm so sorry for your loss. That's not only awful but downright scary. My thoughts and prayers are with you & your family.

Janir

Thanks for that tidbit of info. Actually was planning for a 10/1/2021 trip. Mostly as its my 50th birthday year and MK's and a long time friend of mine's 50 birthday year as well. Plus it's sort of a bucket list item to do something like MK's 50th celebration on the actual 50th. Might have to plan a later 2022 trip in as well.

LeighM

Original Poster
My condolences to you and R, what a shock that must have been

It definitely was! We knew she had been having similar issues to what I had experienced so none of us were shocked when they determined her gallbladder wasn't working and was going to remove it. But gallbladder surgery is so common that no one thought anything of it. The SIL that went with us last year had emergency gallbladder removal earlier this year and it was almost nothing. So when we found out that she had died from a suspected blood clot, everyone was shocked. Now my husband is all paranoid about my current gallbladder pain. Which is my own fault :( I did too much emotional eating on Mother's Day and had something that my gallbladder hated. Still feeling it. I managed to avoid all the fatty goodness at WDW only to get home and cave on Mother's Day....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom