All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Phroobar

T28-07-COVER-Universal-Studios-1.jpg.jpg

The Creature from the Black Lagoon: The Musical

socalifornian

So what is this going in next to Transformers? Taken by bioreconstruct Twitter.
Everyone at Inside Universal seems to think it’s Nintendoland, specifically Mariokart. The tech for the Yoshi ride Japan’s getting, in addition to Mariokart, is thought to have been reworked into the Secret Life of Pets dark ride being built next to Despicable Me on the upper lot

planodisney

Só Mário Kart for USH and a huge Nintendoland for USO. The Orlando Disney and Universal resorts just continue to get vastly superior to the west coast versions. I used to think Anaheim could SOMEWHAT hold its own, but after my last trip to Orlando and seeing Disney Springs and all the new resort development and future attractions in the works, it really makes DLR look pitiful. Closed down AMC, closed Rainforest Cafe, carousel and Inside out spinner additions to the 2nd gate as well as a inferior hand me down 4d show from Magic Kingdom. Couple that with how incredible the level of investment will be for WDW over the next 5 years vs a cheaper out Marvel addition for DCA and nothing much else to get excited about. They really have begun treating DLR as the litylevstep child they just have to deal with.
I guess Universsl Hollywood just has no space to do much.

Stevek

Everyone at Inside Universal seems to think it’s Nintendoland, specifically Mariokart. The tech for the Yoshi ride Japan’s getting, in addition to Mariokart, is thought to have been reworked into the Secret Life of Pets dark ride being built next to Despicable Me on the upper lot
Thanks. Really have zero interest in Nintendoland despite owning several of their game systems of the years but I'm sure I'll try whatever they build if and when I get back up to Uni. Still need to visit Potter.

Snow Queen

Só Mário Kart for USH and a huge Nintendoland for USO. The Orlando Disney and Universal resorts just continue to get vastly superior to the west coast versions. I used to think Anaheim could SOMEWHAT hold its own, but after my last trip to Orlando and seeing Disney Springs and all the new resort development and future attractions in the works, it really makes DLR look pitiful. Closed down AMC, closed Rainforest Cafe, carousel and Inside out spinner additions to the 2nd gate as well as a inferior hand me down 4d show from Magic Kingdom. Couple that with how incredible the level of investment will be for WDW over the next 5 years vs a cheaper out Marvel addition for DCA and nothing much else to get excited about. They really have begun treating DLR as the litylevstep child they just have to deal with.
This is untrue, the size of Galaxy's Edge in Florida is insignificant compared to the size of Disneyland's.

socalifornian

There’s been a severe lack of master planning at DLR I’ll give you that. Our Anaheim insiders have made that clear. Even our second gate concept doesn’t work. California Adventure is in California at a resort that heavily skews with locals. I realize DHS is trying to find itself, but at least the Hollywood it’s themed after is ~2500 miles away. Most of those guests have probably never been to California let alone LA, especially since the studio tour wasn’t largely considered a joke. The “new” carousel and spinner are just old rethemed attractions.

All that being said, our half day park had almost as many rides as MK before construction started. DLR hasn’t been the only neglected resort.

Some of the newer sections of Disney Springs remind me of the outdoor malls we have in LA. I’m not sure even those aesthetics would work well enough here to set Downtown Disney apart from the pack. It does need more entertainment options

Pretty sure USH sits on a piece of property that’s comparable to UOs main block of land, it’s just that there’s a legit studio attached to it. There’s about 500 shows being produced right now so there’s never been a greater demand for stages, and thats not counting all the movies that have left for Georgia thanks to Sacramento’s inability to keep California competitive in the tax incentive scene. Pretty much every show does shoot on location, but they also usually need a ‘home base.’ There’s already a ton of shows that shoot in abandoned wearhouses across LA in place of using a formal stage on a lot. So between Hollywood’s flux and growing theme park attendance I’m not sure what they’re going to do after a certain point. Universal Studios is next to a giant golf course that runs nearly the entire length of their property, but that’s probably more taboo than talking about Disneyland’s backstage setup in terms of expansion

Last edited:

Touchdown

I couldn’t be more excited for the Nintendo concepts around the world thus far. I cannot wait to throw a red shell at a human being, the Donkey Kong Kart Coaster looks really fun, and who wouldn’t want to ride on Yoshi? It’s going to be a blast, once I experience Star Wars Nintendoland is going to take over my most anticipated theme park attraction slot. I’m also really hoping that we get a Metroid Style Shooting Dark Tide at some point, imagine having that and then having to go through a ball maze section to add a roller coaster section as well.

Rich T

Disneyland is still the best park on Earth, though. We all know WDW is a fantastic resort, but when you actually feel you need to say DLR looks "pitiful" by comparison... no need for that kind of fanboy talk. The two resorts are completely different types of experiences, and they're both great fun. If I want to spend a ton of cash on themed hotels in a sprawling resort full of many different activities and parks with non-functioning special effects, served by a smelly ill-kept monorail system, I'll go to WDW. (I'm just pointing out some of the flaws; I know it's an amazing resort overall :D). If I want to spend less money on a quicker vacation to a resort that gives me the best theme park in the world with more rides, fun and imagination per square foot than any other place on Earth (and, unfortunately, way too many people crammed in), I'll go to Disneyland. Great things on both coasts. Flaws on both coasts, too.

Last edited:

planodisney

Yah I think you jumped to conclusions on my post.
If anything I’m a DLR fanboy. It’s just that after my last visit to WDS, and then seeing the state of DL’s Tomorrowland and Downtown Disney, the gap between the 2 resorts has become Grand Canyonesque, IMHO. My heart belongs to the DLR and I don’t even go on WDW discussion forums.
Also, I hate to say this as this hasn’t been the case for most of my life, but we IMHO, Magic Kingdom has passed DL in terms of experience with the investment over the last 7 years and I love that it still has the People Mover.
DL’s Pirates and Space Mountain are sooooo much better however, and I think DL will regain its crown when when Galaxys Edge opens. If we can get a Tomorrowland upgrade, along with the Mickey and Minnie ride, it won’t even be a contest!!!!
I also wish we could get a DTD expansion and new highly themed Resort Hotel.

RescueTheDay

Yah I think you jumped to conclusions on my post.
If anything I’m a DLR fanboy. It’s just that after my last visit to WDS, and then seeing the state of DL’s Tomorrowland and Downtown Disney, the gap between the 2 resorts has become Grand Canyonesque, IMHO. My heart belongs to the DLR and I don’t even go on WDW discussion forums.
Also, I hate to say this as this hasn’t been the case for most of my life, but we IMHO, Magic Kingdom has passed DL in terms of experience with the investment over the last 7 years and I love that it still has the People Mover.
DL’s Pirates and Space Mountain are sooooo much better however, and I think DL will regain its crown when when Galaxys Edge opens. If we can get a Tomorrowland upgrade, along with the Mickey and Minnie ride, it won’t even be a contest!!!!
I also wish we could get a DTD expansion and new highly themed Resort Hotel.

I’m very curious as to what these last 7 years of investment you’re speaking of for Magic Kingdom. They also have a Tomorrowland with no real theme or plan. Less attractions and poor maintenance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom