Disneyland New "Flex" Annual Pass

shambolicdefending

I think some people on twitter, etc. are misunderstanding how this works, or maybe I am. From what I read it sounds like there are three types of days for this pass...

-Open days (same as other passes)
-Blockout days (same as other passes)
-Reservation required days (new)

Some people are making it sound like they've just replaced all blockout days with limited reservation openings. I don't think that's the case, is it?

This also seems like a fairly obvious move towards having most APs become reservation centric. If this ends up being a popular product, I have no doubt the whole AP program will gradually migrate the same direction.

DLR>WDW

Some people are making it sound like they've just replaced all blockout days with limited reservation openings. I don't think that's the case, is it?
It is. There’s no blackouts for this pass except those last couple weeks of the year during the Christmas season. This means that this pass gives access to Galaxy’s Edge this summer, for a price cheaper than Deluxe.

Touchdown

Depending on how many reservations they allow, not to mention you are limited to two days in 30. This amazing deal may be a bust if Disney limits the reservation spots.

shambolicdefending

It is. There’s no blackouts for this pass except those last couple weeks of the year during the Christmas season. This means that this pass gives access to Galaxy’s Edge this summer, for a price cheaper than Deluxe.

Interesting. Makes me wonder who Disney is targeting with this pass.

Seems like a better deal than Deluxe and below. Also seems like it could be appealing to a lot of Signature APs who don't like keeping up with the price increases, but surely Disney wouldn't want to cannibalize a higher-margin product, would they?

shambolicdefending

Depending on how many reservations they allow, not to mention you are limited to two days in 30. This amazing deal may be a bust if Disney limits the reservation spots.

There has to be some kind of hard limit on reservations, or they'll alienate and obliterate all of their Signature APs. Presumably they're some of the most valuable customers, so I doubt Disney wants to do that.

mickEblu

As a Signature Pass holder I can say that days when the other passes are blocked out are the only reasonable days for crowds.

I dunno. I’ve had every pass except the Deluxe (Southern California x 2, Premium, Signature, So Cal Select) over the past 6 years and today this doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. I’ve gone many a Saturday and they felt just as busy as days where all passes are unblocked. It may have been the case about 2 years ago but things change pretty quick as Southern California isn’t getting any less populated, Disneyland isn’t getting less popular and Disney tinkers with the AP program each year. I think for for every AP that doesn’t renew because of prices, one upgrades to a higher tier. Especially when they got rid of the Southern California.

I’m also confused that they would offer this pass NOW. Right before the summer grand opening of Galaxies Edge. Just in time for lower tiers to upgrade to their pass. I could see like Next January or February but this is strange. I read somewhere that they will not let Deluxe APs downgrade to this pass, even if they forfeit the $200. Ouch.

Touchdown

I dunno. I’ve had every pass except the Deluxe (Southern California x 2, Premium, Signature, So Cal Select) over the past 6 years and today this doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. I’ve gone many a Saturday and they felt just as busy as days where all passes are unblocked. It may have been the case about 2 years ago but things change pretty quick as Southern California isn’t getting any less populated, Disneyland isn’t getting less popular and Disney tinkers with the AP program each year. I think for for every AP that doesn’t renew because of prices, one upgrades to a higher tier. Especially when they got rid of the Southern California.

I’m also confused that they would offer this pass NOW. Right before the summer grand opening of Galaxies Edge. Just in time for lower tiers to upgrade to their pass. I could see like Next January or February but this is strange. I read somewhere that they will not let Deluxe APs downgrade to this pass, even if they forfeit the $200. Ouch.

Makes me think that they may severely limit reservations and this is a carrot to extract more $ from so cal select and so cal holders. Also I can’t help but wonder if all those lower tier pass holders with grandfathered parking passes would lose them in the upgrade.

mickEblu

Makes me think that they may severely limit reservations and this is a carrot to extract more $ from so cal select and so cal holders. Also I can’t help but wonder if all those lower tier pass holders with grandfathered parking passes would lose them in the upgrade.

Could be. I’m going to wait to see how this reservation system works. I’m in no rush to see SWL until ROTR opens but the option would be nice. I’d imagine if you plan ahead and try to reserve a day 30 days in advance for a non holiday you should be ok.

I think I read somewhere that they would lose it. So how much of a deal is the grandfathered parking? They re paying for the add on right?

Last edited:

Janir

Nobody asked for this...
Actually I think this will help with DLR overcrowding issues. You can buy a cheap DLR AP but you will have some blackout dates, but you are not completely blocked out you can reserve entry into some of the blackout dates. This will have many guests opting for a cheaper AP and effectively getting those AP holders to self limit by not deciding to book on a blackout date and with the blackout dates subject to availibility, they how have some way to limit the number of AP guests.

mickEblu

Actually I think this will help with DLR overcrowding issues. You can buy a cheap DLR AP but you will have some blackout dates, but you are not completely blocked out you can reserve entry into some of the blackout dates. This will have many guests opting for a cheaper AP and effectively getting those AP holders to self limit by not deciding to book on a blackout date and with the blackout dates subject to availibility, they how have some way to limit the number of AP guests.

I think i agree but I’m not sure what you mean by get them to self limit by NOT Booking on a blackout days. They re going to book on blackout days, just not that many or often.

Its going to be harder to gauge when DL will be crowded now unless they make the # of reservations made for a given day public which would be another way to regulate crowds if you think about it. If I see a day with 50,000 reservations I’ll probably want to stay away. I wonder if they would manipulate that info to their advantage like I’m sure they already do with FP return times.

EDIT: DL is always crowded. It will be harder to gauge when DL is insane or unbearable now**

socalifornian

I think i agree but I’m not sure what you mean by get them to self limit by NOT Booking on a blackout days. They re going to book on blackout days, just not that many or often.

Its going to be harder to gauge when DL will be crowded now unless they make the # of reservations made for a given day public which would be another way to regulate crowds if you think about it. If I see a day with 50,000 reservations I’ll probably want to stay away. I wonder if they would manipulate that info to their advantage like I’m sure they already do with FP return times.
Yeah my Maxpass times never match up when I’m with non-maxpassers. I always have a time advantage in the pay to play system

Californian Elitist

Good. Disneyland is a lose-lose right now. It's either crushing crowds on the weekends or limited hours and closed attractions midweek. It makes the whole experience pretty crappy for a non-local guest visiting for a week of vacation. Most non-locals fly on the weekends and want to do the parks midweek, but they're keeping attractions closed due to low crowds.

Disneyland doesn’t purposefully keep attractions closed when it’s not crowded.

shambolicdefending

Disneyland doesn’t purposefully keep attractions closed when it’s not crowded.

Are you counting stuff like the Explorer Canoes when you say this? It's not unusual at all for those to only be closed on weekdays, but open every weekend some months.

And what about Grizzly River? Do they really HAVE to close that down for multiple weeks every January and February? Other water rides aren't closed that often.

I think it's also been documented that they cut staff and intentionally run attractions at lower capacity on slower days.

mickEblu

One big one we re forgetting is the weather. I have no idea what the weather will be 30 days out. However, I suppose if you are able to cancel your reservation midnight the day before your reservation without being dinged then it’s not a big deal. Plus you could have your secondary back up reservation for another day.

Californian Elitist

Are you counting stuff like the Explorer Canoes when you say this? It's not unusual at all for those to only be closed on weekdays, but open every weekend some months.

And what about Grizzly River? Do they really HAVE to close that down for multiple weeks every January and February? Other water rides aren't closed that often.

I think it's also been documented that they cut staff and intentionally run attractions at lower capacity on slower days.

Lower capacity, yes. The Canoes and Grizzly are exceptions sometimes, however for the most part, rides are open if they’re not down for refurbishment.

Phroobar

The way I see this going is this pass will eventually have black out dates that range somewhere between Deluxe and the next lower level pass. If you want to come on one of those black out days, you can make a reservation and get 50% discount on tickets for that day.

freebird72

From Disney’s page on Flex Pass. So I wonder how early reservation spots will fill up. To me that reads like if I went on July 1st and 2nd, I could make a reservation for the 3rd if they’re available on the 2nd
That would make it hard to plan a Friday-Sun trip in advance and know before you get there that you can get into the parks all three days.

On another note, it feels like this pass is designed to encourage grandfathered/renewal only So Cal passholders to migrate to the Flex pass.

DanielBB8

People here were asking Disney to limit attendance. This does exactly that. You’re limited to 2 reservations every 30 days. That means you might not get your date every time and on some days, you can request a date the day before if there’s an opening. Meaning Disney can plan and accommodate the crowds. So how is this bad for both Disney and guests?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom