HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

IMDREW

Why don’t they just call it Frozen land? Everyone would understand the IP and it’s much easier to say. And it fits with all the other lands; fanatsyland, adventure land, tomorrowland, toystory land and frozen land.

Stevie Amsterdam

Why don’t they just call it Frozen land? Everyone would understand the IP and it’s much easier to say. And it fits with all the other lands; fanatsyland, adventure land, tomorrowland, toystory land and frozen land.
I'm sure everybody will call it Frozen land, like Avatar land and Star Wars land. For marketing purposes 'World of..." sounds much better

PymParty

So Bob Iger just hinted a huge Marvel presence in Shanghai in the future in the Q2 WDC results announcement, but I was wondering, doesn't HKDL have some form of exclusivity on having Marvel attractions in Asia ?
If SHDL indeed gets an expansive Marvel area in the future, it would be a huge downfall for Hong Kong after all these efforts and investments to differentiate itself from its major concurrent.
I believe the HK Gov will have even less trust in Disney if this happens...

IMDREW

So Bob Iger just hinted a huge Marvel presence in Shanghai in the future in the Q2 WDC results announcement, but I was wondering, doesn't HKDL have some form of exclusivity on having Marvel attractions in Asia ?
If SHDL indeed gets an expansive Marvel area in the future, it would be a huge downfall for Hong Kong after all these efforts and investments to differentiate itself from its major concurrent.
Ouch

BrianLo

Exclusivity on their attractions. Not the entire MCU. I presume we'd see different concepts utilized. Maybe an Avengers drop tower for example.

PymParty

Exclusivity on their attractions. Not the entire MCU. I presume we'd see different concepts utilized. Maybe an Avengers drop tower for example.

Having an exclusivity on such underwhelming attractions as Iron Man and Ant-Man is quite a joke, nobody would want to get them 😂
If shanghai gets much more expansive rides, this will really harm HK's attractiveness

EarthboundChild

It was inevitable that Shanghai Disneyland would eventually get Marvel attractions. They even already have a Marvel area set up there but it's for meet and greets right now.

It's likely that Hong Kong Disneyland will have an exclusivity on attractions, which hopefully includes the upcoming e-ticket attraction (cause Iron Man Experience and AM&W Nano Battle certainly aren't good enough).

I think it's most likely Shanghai Disneyland will get some of the attractions from the U.S. and Paris parks. So expect something like the Spider-Man attraction (most likely) and possibly the Iron Man roller coaster coming to Paris.

EDIT: Does anyone else wonder if it would be a good idea to re-skin Hyperspace Mountain into a Marvel attraction? At this point Tomorrowland barely resembles Tomorrowland anyway and it's primarily IPs outside of the restaurant and Astro Orbiters. Might as well go full out in turning it into a Marvel section given that Star Wars isn't as popular over there.

Asa

HKDL already announced plans to retheme one of its rides in 2021. I have long suspected it would be Hyperspace Mountain (+Astro Orbiters). Hyperspace Mountain could become a Thor, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange or Guardians of the Galaxy attraction while Astro Orbiters can become GotG? They have so many properties to choose from now.

The "simple" solution for Star Wars is to build Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge + Star Tours: The Adventure Continues in the second gate.

BrianLo

HKDL already announced plans to retheme one of its rides in 2021. I have long suspected it would be Hyperspace Mountain (+Astro Orbiters). Hyperspace Mountain could become a Thor, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange or Guardians of the Galaxy attraction while Astro Orbiters can become GotG? They have so many properties to choose from now.

The "simple" solution for Star Wars is to build Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge + Star Tours: The Adventure Continues in the second gate.

I actually earnestly believe it is Philharmagic.

Not really a retheme so much as a refresh that MK was orchestrating for their 50th. Something Disney didn't want to tip off to the public at the time, but is obviously something HK would also "get" as a result.

PymParty

looking at the construction pictures for the Frozen ride, it seems they started building the canals that the boats will follow in Frozen Ever After. In this case, it seems hopes to have the Shanghai POTC ride system in this attraction are lost as the boats in POTC follow a track hidden underwater whereas this will feature '"classic" boat ride system in canals...
I wished they didn't end up entirely copying the ride from EPCOT but it seems like it is the case, only in a bigger showbuilding (same ride system, same storyline, same scenes)

Maybe the coaster will surprise us more

looking at the construction pictures for the Frozen ride, it seems they started building the canals that the boats will follow in Frozen Ever After. In this case, it seems hopes to have the Shanghai POTC ride system in this attraction are lost as the boats in POTC follow a track hidden underwater whereas this will feature '"classic" boat ride system in canals...
I wished they didn't end up entirely copying the ride from EPCOT but it seems like it is the case, only in a bigger showbuilding (same ride system, same storyline, same scenes)

Maybe the coaster will surprise us more
is it possible that the original plan wasn't an exact clone, but because they are replacing the flat ride (dancing sleighs) with a coaster, which is definitely more expensive, they need to offset those extra expenses by cutting down budgets for the boat ride?
if the coaster is good then I don't mind it's just a direct copy
what I'm afraid is that it'd be ever worse than a clone, like maybe replacing the AAs with screens...
my faith for HKDL is falling after the opening of the Moana show and Nano Battle

derklugen

I have always wondered if Tomorrowland will include Marvel Land, if Marvel Land will absorb Tomorrowland, or will they be two separate lands once the "phase two" is done?

PymParty

I have always wondered if Tomorrowland will include Marvel Land, if Marvel Land will absorb Tomorrowland, or will they be two separate lands once the "phase two" is done?

I remember reading when the enpansion was announced that the park would go from 7 to 9 themed areas at the end of the expansion plan. This would would mean that Tomorrowland and Marvel land would be separated (logically, the lands should be Main Street, Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Mystic Point, Grizzly Gulch, Toy Story Land, Arendelle, Marvel)
But rumors are often emerging saying the rest of Tomorrowland will be rethemed to Marvel as part of the re-imagining project of 2021 or with the opening of the Marvel area in 2023, so I guess only time will tell !

MagicHK

Here I found a drone photographer taken some drone video of HKDL one year ago. Too bad construction has not been started.

Really wonder how the averages e ticket building will sit.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom