Off site hotel with dedicated or best shuttles

Homebody1976

Hi all. In the planning and saving stages for an Orlando trip 2022. Budget wise WDW resorts are already out the question. Universal Cabana bay was a strong contender but we won't have a car, are reluctant to Uber and are concerned about getting around. 10yrs ago we stayed on idrive with free theme park shuttles. As discussed in most forums the issues were limited times, many pick ups and drop offs, huge queues at park closing, long journey times etc. So, does anyone know of a hotel, preferably with suites which offers dedicated shuttles to their property only, direct to all the theme parks? Or any hotel where the shuttle system worked well bearing in mind it will be August school holidays when we go. Probably many more questions to come over the next few years!!

Homebody1976

Original Poster
Hi all. In the planning and saving stages for an Orlando trip 2022. Budget wise WDW resorts are already out the question. Universal Cabana bay was a strong contender but we won't have a car, are reluctant to Uber and are concerned about getting around. 10yrs ago we stayed on idrive with free theme park shuttles. As discussed in most forums the issues were limited times, many pick ups and drop offs, huge queues at park closing, long journey times etc. So, does anyone know of a hotel, preferably with suites which offers dedicated shuttles to their property only, direct to all the theme parks? Or any hotel where the shuttle system worked well bearing in mind it will be August school holidays when we go. Probably many more questions to come over the next few years!!
Just had a reply from universal:
Hello Julie,

Thank you for contacting Universal Orlando Resort Guest Services.

I am happy to confirm that Guests staying with Universal or at a Universal Partner Hotel can get round trip transportation from their hotel to Walt Disney World® Resort. Transportation must be arranged in advance by contacting our Universal Parks & Resorts Vacations Department for a fee of $26.00 tax inclusive for Guests ages three (3) and up. Upon receipt of your E-Travel Documents, please call Quick Transportation at 888-784-2522 or 407-354-2456 to arrange pick-up times. Reservations must be made 48 hours in advance.

I hope this information is helpful!

Best Regards,

Brianna
Coordinator | Guest Communication
Universal Orlando Resort

407.224.4233 Option 4
universalorlando.com

Upvote 0

J Hedge

Love Spring Hill Suites/Town Place Suites at Flamingo Crossing, but their shuttles aren't free and stop running to the parks at around noon (not sure about returning to the hotel - never actually used the shuttles.) Don't know about shuttles to Universal. The only non Disney hotels that I'm aware of that have decent shuttles are the Disney Springs shuttles, and they share between several hotels.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

Here are a few things to think about when figuring out the least expensive options if you cannot find a hotel with free, frequent shuttle service:

1. If you stay offsite, you will have to pay to get from the airport to your hotel unless they have a free airport shuttle
2. It might be less expensive renting a car than paying the daily fees for the family to take a shuttle. However, you have to figure in the daily parking fees at both the hotel and parks.
3. You said you do not want to use a ride share service like Uber, but that will probably be less expensive than a shuttle as well as much more flexible.
4. You might even find that staying at a Value, onsite hotel and using the "free" Disney transportation included in your hotel price is the cheaper option.

You will need to run the numbers because what appears to be the lest expensive option, isn't always.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I have looked into this in the past and it came out cheaper to stay the All Stars and use Disney transportation then it was to book at a cheaper off site hotel. It depends on how many people are in your party but it you can get into 1 room, by the time you factor in the cost from the airport to the hotel and back, and any paid trips to and from the parks(or rental car with parking fee) it is cheaper to just stay on Disney property. Price it out with everything to see how it comes out.

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Budget wise WDW resorts are already out the question.

When you say this, I'm assuming you are referencing Disney owned property. My first option would be Hotel Plaza Blvd, Swolphin, Bonnet Creek Resorts (all provide shuttles). Probably going to be cheaper than most Disney Moderate and Deluxe's. You can also get the values for a reasonable price.

Might be helpful to know the budget you're working with (i.e. under $100 per night, $100 - $150 per night, under $200)

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
When you say this, I'm assuming you are referencing Disney owned property. My first option would be Hotel Plaza Blvd, Swolphin, Bonnet Creek Resorts (all provide shuttles). Probably going to be cheaper than most Disney Moderate and Deluxe's. You can also get the values for a reasonable price.

Might be helpful to know the budget you're working with (i.e. under $100 per night, $100 - $150 per night, under $200)
Yeah that "budget wise WDW resorts are already out of the question" is a bit concerning. This trip is three years away, if that's not enough time to bump up to even a value resort, I'd suggest delaying the trip until things aren't as tight.

Upvote 0

Homebody1976

Original Poster
Sorry but i think my budget is my concern and with other things to pay for in life i won't be getting into debt for a trip to Disney. Decided on Universals Cabana Bay which is half the price.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

What people are saying is that JUST looking at the hotel cost per night does not tell the whole story. You have to factor in the cost of transportation to/from the parks as well. And time is also money. The time spent travelling to the parks is costing you something too. Like I said, I have priced it out numerous times in the past and it has always come out cheaper to stat at a Disney value resort then to stay at an off site hotel and rent a car. I refuse to stay at a dump.

Upvote 0

Homebody1976

Original Poster
I should probably point out that coming from the UK its £2500 for flights in school holidays before we even get to the holiday. Another 4k for WDW accommodation and 2k for park tickets makes for an expensive holiday.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I should probably point out that coming from the UK its £2500 for flights in school holidays before we even get to the holiday. Another 4k for WDW accommodation and 2k for park tickets makes for an expensive holiday.

It does, and you should, of course, weigh in all of your options. My point was that some people just look at the initial price of the hotels per night and do not think about the other stuff like transportation, parking and resort fees(that are sometimes a surprise to people). You have plenty of time to look and research. But costs keep going up, unfortunately. That $26/per person/per trip that you quoted will add up very fast. It might make up the difference in the hotel price. Watch out for sales too. Sometimes you get really good deals. I know many in the UK use travel agents that have that kind of information and can help you find the best/cheapest options.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

The one time I tried to save some $ with an offsite spot offering a free shuttle, I got stranded at Epcot at closing. A friend of mine had something similar happen to her family. We got lucky and after a lot of complaining, they sent someone out (after 2+ hours of waiting) to get us. My friend was not so lucky and had to eat the cost of a cab. I vowed that we'd either stay onsite or drive ourselves for any future trips. It just wasn't worth the extreme frustration and potential cab cost...not to mention the time you waste that could be spent doing fun things on property.

If it were me, I'd get with an agent who might be able to help with discounts being offered. I'd also probably look into the Good Neighbor resorts and dig through reviews to see which have more reliable transportation. https://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/browse-hotels/

Upvote 0
I would recommend the Clarion lake Buena Vista or the Hilton . The Hilton you could walk to Disney Springs and it is located directly opposite Saratoga Springs . The clarion was very close to one of the budget ones all star sports \ movies. The hotel shuttle was great and on other days we just jumped on a normal bus that is opposite hotel which takes you straight to transportation ticket centre. Being off-site on all of our trips now has saved loads of money especially with the added cost of Flights from U.K. With appropriate planning it did not impact on travel time or our holiday. At the Hilton we had breakfast with Pluto and Mickey Mouse. At the Clarion we have fond memories of making our own Mickey Waffles. At the end of the day whichever way you do it you will have an amazing holiday. All good neighbour hotels also seem to benefit now From extra magic hours. The Hilton does 100% , the Clarion not so sure. The Clarion at the time had buses not just to Disney but a service to Seaworld and Universal too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom