Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

bartholomr4

RandySavage

In the same vein as the MCU and Star Wars shows, I think Disney+ ought to feature live action series of their two other key franchises:

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: The films are showing diminishing returns, so how about a comedy-adventure serial? New set of characters. New and familiar locales. No Johnny Depp, but secondary characters from the films could make an appearance.

2. Indiana Jones: Keep it shorter & livelier than the 1.5 hour soporific Young Indiana Jones Chronicles of old, with more treasure-hunting and a sense of fast-paced fun. Casting of the new, young Indy will be key.

Then there are properties in the Disney Dustbin due to a movie bomb, but might be worth reconsideration as an improved D+ series.
-Zorro (Disney produced the 1950s TV series)
-The Rocketeer (talks of a film reboot)
-Capt. Nemo... some kind of steampunk adventure series set in the 1800s. (film reboot back on)
-Dik Tracy
-Tron
-Dinotopia
-National Treasure (young version of Nick Cage's character?)
-Sorcerers Apprentice
-Wild Wild West, Lone Ranger or some type of fun Western series.

My preferred genres are period adventures (not set in the present) - though they're the most expensive to make, typically - but I'm hoping for content to counterbalance the superhero genre, of which I'm burned out.

Last edited:

bartholomr4

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-lost-83000-subscribers-in-the-first-quarter-of-2019/

Today AT&T announced that DIRECTV NOW lost 83,000 subscribers in the 1st quarter of 2019. This is compared to the 4th quarters of 2018 when DIRECTV NOW lost 267,000 subscribers.

AT&T has been warning that DIRECTV NOW would likely lose subscribers now that has come true. In total AT&T lost 544,000 TV subscribers in the 1st quarter of 2019 up from a loss of 391,000 TV subscribers across all of their TV brands in the 4th quarter of 2018.

Magenta Panther

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/disne...O6i4C-7T5xNqrOoA3XWvLtp4xYDrnbtqwWm_-PP3c6Kik

Cultural eradication continues in the name of political correctness.

Well, of course Iger isn't going to try to present Song of the South in context. It's so much easier to just lock it in the vault and pretend it doesn't exist. What a wonderful tribute that is to the work of James Baskett, that racist actor who had the nerve to portray an American literary icon. His reaction to criticism of the film in 1946 rings even truer today: "I believe that certain groups are doing my race more harm in seeking to create dissension than can ever possibly come out of the 'Song of the South'."

So yeah, let's bury his performance forever, Iger. Nice work, you coward.

As for Dumbo...how the HECK can the crow scenes be cut without destroying the movie? Their song "When I See An Elephant Fly" is pivotal to the plot, and the crows are not only in that scene, they're in the final scene of the film, where they reprise their song. I wish Iger would just lock Dumbo in the vault with Uncle Remus if the alternative is the destruction of such a charming, popular film. What's next, Bobby, you gonna excise the Dumbo spinners in all of the parks?

BTW, it's pretty rich for Iger to be so sensitive about racial matters when he has no problem re-hiring a perv like James Gunn. What a tool.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Disney did it with the movie club release of the 3 Caballeros on Blu-ray and put a disclaimer that they are a company who don’t endorse smoking. Why not just add that to be beginning of these movies?

Californian Elitist

It’s the moment where Dumbo learns to fly. The movie is barely over 60 minutes long to begin with, this probably makes it less than an hour?

It’s THE moment of the film. It’s the most important segment.

Without the crows, the movie will probably clock in at 55 minutes or a bit longer. The full film is 64 minutes. The timing aside, how will the movie tie up? How will we know how he learned to fly and who encouraged him to use his ears?

Indy_UK

Rather than not release it, it maybe insane but couldn't they go back and re-animate the scene for a Disney+ release?

I don't think there will be an issue with Dumbo as the physical releases don't have the issue?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
New Marvel series based on Ghost Rider and Helstrom (Son of Satan) coming to Hulu!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I presume this isn't being produced by Marvel Studios and is not factoring into MCU phase 4.
They are done by Marvel Television, and while part of the MCU are not directly part of anything known about Phase 4 yet. It'll be similar to how Agents of Shield is part of MCU. In fact I'd expect AoS characters to make an appearance in Ghost Rider, since they already introduced Ghost Rider into the MCU.

Are these live action or animated?
I'd expect these to be live action.

SirLink

They are done by Marvel Television, and while part of the MCU are not directly part of anything known about Phase 4 yet. It'll be similar to how Agents of Shield is part of MCU. In fact I'd expect AoS characters to make an appearance in Ghost Rider, since they already introduced Ghost Rider into the MCU.

But not Mavel Studios like Loki, WandaVision, etc. are being produced by - if its not being produced by Marvel Studios, close it down. AoS a typical Syfy show and that division like the Runaways aren't good. Needs to be more like how the shows that were announced at the Investors day would tie in with Phase 4.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But not Mavel Studios like Loki, WandaVision, etc. are being produced by - if its not being produced by Marvel Studios, close it down. AoS a typical Syfy show and that division like the Runaways aren't good. Needs to be more like how the shows that were announced at the Investors day would tie in with Phase 4.
I'm actually a fan of AoS, and I'm ok with it being on ABC, and happy it got renewed for 2 more seasons. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Also you do realize that ALL the Marvel Television shows, with the exception of Legion (since its part of X-Men universe), are under Marvel Studios and in the MCU, with Feige acting as Executive Producer. Not everything in the shows, even the Disney+ Loki, WandaVision, and Falcon/Winter Soldier shows, will have a direct impact on Phase 4. But they still can still play in the larger MCU where Phase 4 can have a direct impact on them.

SirLink

I'm actually a fan of AoS, and I'm ok with it being on ABC, and happy it got renewed for 2 more seasons. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Also you do realize that ALL the Marvel Television shows, with the exception of Legion (since its part of X-Men universe), are under Marvel Studios and in the MCU, with Feige acting as Executive Producer. Not everything in the shows, even the Disney+ Loki, WandaVision, and Falcon/Winter Soldier shows, will have a direct impact on Phase 4. But they still can still play in the larger MCU where Phase 4 can have a direct impact on them.

Actually there is a difference Marvel Studios and Marvel Television are separate divisions.

AoS and Ghost Rider are produced seemingly by Marvel Television. The shows for Disney+ are being produced by Marvel Studios side that is the difference

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Actually there is a difference Marvel Studios and Marvel Television are separate divisions.

AoS and Ghost Rider are produced seemingly by Marvel Television. The shows for Disney+ are being produced by Marvel Studios side that is the difference
Yes you are right and aware they are separate divisions. However with the shows being set in the MCU, Feige is still the executive producer of all of them. With Marvel Television shows he lets the individual showrunners tell the individual stories, while still making sure they stay within the larger MCU narrative. In that way Marvel Television shows are no different than Marvel Studios movies, as Feige lets the individual writers/directors tell their stories as part of a larger MCU narrative, just on a bigger budget. They are two sides of the same coin.

Producing a TV show is a lot different than producing a movie. With the Disney+ shows they are really producing small short films in episodic format, only 6-8 episodes, that is really the reason why Marvel Studios is producing it. If it was going to be a standard TV show (normally 13-22 episodes) than it would be done by Marvel Television no matter the platform or content.

Bottom line a lot of people like the Marvel TV shows, including AoS. So no they aren't going away, and will continue in some form long term. Again if you don't like them, don't watch them. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom