News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

Tony the Tigger

If you actually think that MAN is more powerful than nature and the earth, which is billions of years old, and has survived solar storms, meteor showers, massive volcanic eruptions, tidal waves, tectonic plates shifting, the magnetic reversal of the poles, etc.... then you are the exact victims the governments love to have fall for their continual scare tactics. It's all a fraud and you are buying into it.
Just like Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Can one person start a fire that takes out a forest?

Side note: nuclear weapons.

Game over, Rush L. You don’t have to completely destroy the Earth to make it suck for people to live on it.

My only issue with this has been my issue since I turned 21...bubble wands (or bubble guns, as they were at the time) and a lidless drink. I wind up walking around now unable to DRINK my drink but guarding it from bubbles. Nothing hurts like getting bubbles in your overpriced drink...not even spilling it. If you spill it, it's on the ground and there's nothing you can do. If you get bubbles in it you convince yourself maybe it's okay....it's super not. :hungover: While that used to only apply to alcoholic drinks, it looks like it means everything now.

I guess I can’t relate because I don’t feel the need to walk around with a drink all day.

Get a drink (usually with a meal) drink it, stand in another line. Repeat. No bubbles!

Jon81uk

Can one person start a fire that takes out a forest?
So does the forest never grow back after a fire? Yes they do...and continue to grow.

Yes and natural wildfires are beneficial to the environment. But when the number of wildfires is increasing because idiots decide to have a gender reveal explosion or a barbecue where they shouldn't be, that is man shaping the forest rather than the forest and the fires looking after itself.

michmousefan

Universals is something like $14 for the cup and the first day and then around $8 for each day you want to reactivate. Works pretty well I think and $8 is a good price compared to the bottled soda.
But it would be a complete change if Disney were to offer something like this, they have never really gone for the "unlimited" soda offers in parks in the same way Universal and SeaWorld have (Universal used to off 99c refills in almost all reusable cups before moving to the cups with chips in them). Disney currently only offer it in the waterparks and the resort food courts.
Also Disney would have to make it very clear that the separate resort, park and waterpark cups are not interchangeable or make it so you can activate your resort cup in the park etc.
Although I can see it being a good way to cut down on the amount of plastic bottles being sold and the ice used to chill all those 20oz bottles and the staff costs to sell them. If they can get the self-service soda right it could be a good staff cost saving as well as the environmental impact.
Or.... they could go the dramatic route and offer free soft drinks to all guests, like Holiday World does:

Lensman

I don't think it's particularly helpful to respond to off-topic diatribes, especially when you know that it's not going to result in a productive dialogue.

I was hoping that we could all self-regulate, get this thread back on topic, and keep it there. If I think a post is egregiously off topic, I report it and move on.

Maybe we could all do the same?

edit: optional spelling change

Last edited:

Por-Favor-Manténgase

This is nothing more than a cash grab for Disney costumed in their corporate "let's save the environment" euphemism, the same as not giving bags any longer at the Disney Store.

But they will sell you a shopping bag that most likely was made in and shipped halfway around the world from the same factory in China that the once free shopping bags come from. Meanwhile, all these "re-usable" bags probably end up in the same land fills.

If it was truly an environmental decision, charge 25 cents per bag and donate the money to an environmental charity. The lids and straws being removed is the same song and dance.

My personal favorite is at the end of Kilimanjaro when I'm told I can help the elephants by not using plastic straws. Really...that's what will help the elephants. Disney synergy and spin at its best.

John park hopper

This is nothing more than a cash grab for Disney costumed in their corporate "let's save the environment" euphemism, the same as not giving bags any longer at the Disney Store.

But they will sell you a shopping bag that most likely was made in and shipped halfway around the world from the same factory in China that the once free shopping bags come from. Meanwhile, all these "re-usable" bags probably end up in the same land fills.

If it was truly an environmental decision, charge 25 cents per bag and donate the money to an environmental charity. The lids and straws being removed is the same song and dance.

My personal favorite is at the end of Kilimanjaro when I'm told I can help the elephants by not using plastic straws. Really...that's what will help the elephants. Disney synergy and spin at its best.

Elephants don't need plastic or paper straws ----they can drink with their trunks

Jon81uk

If it was truly an environmental decision, charge 25 cents per bag and donate the money to an environmental charity.

In the UK and many other countries this is exactly what is happening. Bag charges here are 5p or 10p and most retailers give the non-tax part to charity.

The USA is very much behind the rest of the world on reducing plastic waste.

The Mom

Premium Member
I don't think it's particularly helpful to respond to off-topic diatribes, especially when you know that it's not going to result in a productive dialogue.

I was hoping that we could all self-regulate, get this thread back on topic, and keep it there. If I think a post is egregiously off topic, I report it and move on.

Maybe we could all do the same?

edit: optional spelling change

I was also hoping the same. Apparently it's not going to happen. Please don't force me to move yet another thread to the Political and Social Issues forum.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Universals is something like $14 for the cup and the first day and then around $8 for each day you want to reactivate. Works pretty well I think and $8 is a good price compared to the bottled soda.
But it would be a complete change if Disney were to offer something like this, they have never really gone for the "unlimited" soda offers in parks in the same way Universal and SeaWorld have (Universal used to off 99c refills in almost all reusable cups before moving to the cups with chips in them). Disney currently only offer it in the waterparks and the resort food courts.
Also Disney would have to make it very clear that the separate resort, park and waterpark cups are not interchangeable or make it so you can activate your resort cup in the park etc.
Although I can see it being a good way to cut down on the amount of plastic bottles being sold and the ice used to chill all those 20oz bottles and the staff costs to sell them. If they can get the self-service soda right it could be a good staff cost saving as well as the environmental impact.
I think the hardest part for Disney is that so many guests are multi-day visitors so it’s less profitable to offer a discount when adding extra days. It could be done, but they would need to figure out a balance between higher profits and what people would be willing to pay. $14 for a day is an easier sell than $60 to $90 for a 7 day cup.

If you eat 2 counter service meals in a park per day it’s pretty easy to break even if the mug is priced around the cost of 3 to 4 full price drinks. If you eat at a table service restaurant or want some adult beverages it’s hard to justify unless it’s really hot and you plan to drink a lot.

donsullivan

Premium Member
According to DFB paper straws showing up in other parks now.
It seems like an inventory replenishment rollout. As a location runs out the restock order is paper straws. I don’t expect it will be long at all for them to be everywhere. I haven’t seen a plastic straw in 2 weeks now at locations in MK, EC, AK (always paper).

Lensman

According to DFB paper straws showing up in other parks now.
It seems like an inventory replenishment rollout. As a location runs out the restock order is paper straws. I don’t expect it will be long at all for them to be everywhere. I haven’t seen a plastic straw in 2 weeks now at locations in MK, EC, AK (always paper).
Are these the same straws that they were giving out at AK or are they providing better eco-straws?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Are these the same straws that they were giving out at AK or are they providing better eco-straws?

IMHO as usual, the alarmists have made a tempest in a teapot. The density of the paper they use for the straws is sufficient to be submerged for longer than a meal before it begins to deteriorate.

Paper abounds and I have yet to break out my own reusable straws.

Nubs70

IMHO as usual, the alarmists have made a tempest in a teapot. The density of the paper they use for the straws is sufficient to be submerged for longer than a meal before it begins to deteriorate.

Paper abounds and I have yet to break out my own reusable straws.
It is not the density of the paper, it is the wet strength additive used to keep the straw from turning to mush. The chemical is derived from epichlorohydrine. Each straw should come with a California Prop 65 label.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom