Disney Parks to Ban Straws

Phroobar

If Disney was serious, they would do what other theme parks do. Sell a refillable container that comes with a reusable straw.

Heck, Universal offers Coca-Cola products. They have Freestyle Machines that have a barcode/RFID reader. If the cup is valid that day, the machine will allow the drink products to be dispensed in a self service fashion. If you try any other cup, the machine won't dispense.

Other parks do similar things.

But this way, no trash, no flimsy lids, no paper cups and no disposable straws to deal with.
Exactly do what Knotts does and offer a year round refillable cup and stations to refill it. What's Disney afraid of? Some APer drinking more than his $50 allotment of coke? It costs Disney like a couple of cents to fill it.

drizgirl

Exactly do what Knotts does and offer a year round refillable cup and stations to refill it. What's Disney afraid of? Some APer drinking more than his $50 allotment of coke? It costs Disney like a couple of cents to fill it.
It doesn't matter what it costs Disney to fill it. What matters is how much they'd be giving up of what you're spending now.

Jedi Stitch

I get that sometimes it has to be forced steps to change the way people do things. Once you change peoples habits in a good direction it should be beneficial. It is not just changing the consumer habit, it is also changing the way the Garbage and Recycling industry can make money. Our own waste industry didn't go out and by the latest plastic smelting furnace you can get from Sweden that breaks down plastic to the oil again, no they just paid pennies on the dollar for China and other third world countries to take the recycling as waste. Many people have begun to recycle properly and many business encourage recycling and composting, but in the end did waste management do what was right for the environment or their bottom line.

Rich T

According to Micechat, the paper straws are being phased out and the whole Disneyland Resort will once again have plastic straws in all restaurants.
On the one hand, I’m glad. On the other hand, it’s Disney first doing whatever they think will gain them Twitter love, and then reversing it the moment the media isn’t paying attention anymore. Because it’s such an enchanted, magical corporation.

el_super

On the one hand, I’m glad. On the other hand, it’s Disney first doing whatever they think will gain them Twitter love, and then reversing it the moment the media isn’t paying attention anymore. Because it’s such an enchanted, magical corporation.

On the other hand, this is a good example of changing direction when something doesn't work out. The paper straws were a terrible product, and I'm sure that it will be some time before a better product will be engineered. It takes companies like Disney to make bold steps toward a goal in order to push the engineering where it needs to be.

It's also entirely possible that the lumber crisis is playing a part...

Rich T

I wonder what the paper straws cost vs plastic- If I had to guess the plastic ones are far cheaper. Combine that with the poor quality of paper straws and I'm assuming tons of customer complaints, I'm not surprised the plastic is coming back.
Paper straws are such a terrible product. It was only a matter of time before enough customers complained.

Californian Elitist

But I don’t want to bring my metal straw with me to an amusement park and then wash it after every use. I don’t want to bring my own metal fork or cloth napkin, either. But I would take personal metal straw over paper any day.
Understandable. But it’s better than struggling using paper straws.🤷🏾‍♀️Mine come in a special traveling bag. I took them to Jamaica last month and I’m glad I did. Of course I didn’t necessarily enjoy having to wash them after each use, but it was nice having a straw and watching others cautiously put their mouths on the rims of glass cups.

waltography

Understandable. But it’s better than struggling using paper straws.🤷🏾‍♀️Mine come in a special traveling bag. I took them to Jamaica last month and I’m glad I did. Of course I didn’t necessarily enjoy having to wash them after each use, but it was nice having a straw and watching others cautiously put their mouths on the rims of glass cups.
It's far more sustainable too, moreso than the move from plastic to paper. I invested in some last year just before the pandemic and never looked back.

I never liked the rationale of the plastic straw ban at Disneyland. Aside from being a burden to certain groups with disabilities, the impact of plastic straws in terms of pollution is less than 1%, so to me it amounts to corporations pretending to care about their environmental impact without really targeting the major causes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom