News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

Kman101

I don't mind the inclusion of Disney Nature if it can be done properly. I imagine there is a very limited budget to do anything to adjust the show after such a huge investment to put the show together in the first place with blah results.

I don't either. But will it be? And why does every nighttime show have to be the same tribute to Disney animation? We already have those in two other parks. Now soon to be all four. I guess I don't understand how slapping IP in makes it "better" without actually creating a whole new show? It's DisneyNature set against clips of animal movies. It's lazy. Most of you know I'm usually willing to give things a chance. This could be just fine. But I have to laugh at how blindly (NOT you) some think adding in characters makes it better. But sadly, I've come to realize there are tons of folks who see Disney very differently than a lot of us on here do.

MickeyMouse10

Thank God and Baby Jesus.

I doubt it will look as good as the photoshopped photo though. They are Lion with this one. Do they think we didn't see the last floating piece of shhh.... show?

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Fantasmic! has been running for well over two decades, and the entire premise of the show is Disney IP stitched together into a loose meta-narrative. It's even featured in (gasp!) Tokyo DisneySea.

"IP bad" is just as misguided as "must have IP."

Which is fine, because the show's plot is IP based and it doesn't try to hide it. Different situation for ROL.

Kman101

yeah...I don't get how they missed the mark so badly.

I can understand some finding the show boring and how it just sort of ... ends. But I found the show to be beautiful. It needs a lot of work though. They did miss the mark. But for some, they were never going to enjoy it anyway. Many guests actually DO want characters.

I also think because it lacks fireworks it will always be lackluster to some. There's a lot they could have done better with this. It had so much potential.

Kman101

Maybe if this flops then they'll realize sticking IP into shows isn't a quick fix like they expect. The show has other issues this isn't going to fix.

Meh, who am I kidding.

It will likely score a little better just because someone's kid enjoyed seeing Simba. But if this is a quick fix solution, the problems will still ultimately remain with the show ... which is why I say slapping IP in doesn't "fix" anything ... the show will still ultimately be lackluster to most, unless they do some big changes.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Fantasmic! has been running for well over two decades, and the entire premise of the show is Disney IP stitched together into a loose meta-narrative. It's even featured in Disneyland and (gasp!) Tokyo DisneySea, the Holy Lands of Disney Parks Fanboiidom.

Indeed. A show based on Disney movies inside a park whose theme is ostensively “movies” is a good fit.

GlacierGlacier

Are the Shamans returning? If they don’t return they should just nix the two boats.
I haven't heard anything about the return of ying/yang, unfortunately. But it does seem like the boats are staying - the images they shared show their sails still being used as projection surfaces.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Indeed. A show based on Disney movies inside a park whose theme is ostensively “movies” is a good fit.
Uh huh, and a show featuring animated animals in a park whose theme is animals might also be a good fit.

I'm not saying it's going to make the show amazing. It might be ham-fisted and terrible. But I don't think it's so egregious that it needs to be written off when all we really know is the loose concept.

Kman101

Yep.

Someone wanted to argue with me about Fantasmic, etc. completely ignoring my only real point was slapping in IP doesn't magically make it better. But man ... never ever criticize IP on Twitter. You'll be reprimanded by the Lifestyler know-it-alls. This board is a dream compared to that cesspool.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yep.

Someone wanted to argue with me about Fantasmic, etc. completely ignoring my only real point was slapping in IP doesn't magically make it better. But man ... never ever criticize IP on Twitter. You'll be reprimanded by the Lifestyler know-it-alls. This board is a dream compared to that cesspool.
Either I missed something or you're taking a huge leap. It seems like you're thinking this will be the same show with IP "slapped in." I'm reading it as if it will be an entirely new show, one that also happens to include IP.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I've only seen it once (which tells you something), but does ROL have much of a discernible plot to begin with? It sort of struck me as NATURE! NATURE! NATURE! The End.
Oh it's a terrible show, I don't think anyone disputes that. But now it's will probably remain a terrible show with the addition of random clips of Simba and whatever interspersed through it.

Tom P.

Either I missed something or you're taking a huge leap. It seems like you're thinking this will be the same show with IP "slapped in." I'm reading it as if it will be an entirely new show, one that also happens to include IP.
Actually, the way I have read the various news stories, it did indeed sound to me like this was going to be basically the same show with IP "slapped in." It definitely did not sound like an entirely new show to me. But I could be interpreting it wrong.

FigmentJedi

Fantasmic! has been running for well over two decades, and the entire premise of the show is Disney IP stitched together into a loose meta-narrative. It's even featured in Disneyland and (gasp!) Tokyo DisneySea, the Holy Lands of Disney Parks Fanboiidom.

Because it did it first and as you said, it put the work in to stitch it together into a coherent, but loose narrative.

disnyfan89

I’m optimistic about this change. I like RoL but think it suffers from serious pacing and staging issue. This update allows them to take the technology that they know works and use it more artistically instead of the current show where they had to make what they had work with the original design.
I also think Disney is aware of the hyper use of IP and the fact the concept art does not show any animated characters is telling. What I envision is a brief appearance of a beloved animated Disney character (or the live action counter part from Lion King or Jungle Book) appearing and quickly giving way to the real life DisneyNature animals. I trust the creatives behind this show to artistically use the animated segments sparingly.
That being said, I fully support the inclusion of more Brother Bear.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Did you expect different results from someone who was formerly the head of merchandising? When you are a hammer, all problems look like nails.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom