Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

TP2000

Does this mean MMRR is going in DL in place of Frozen? Or is that still a plan for somewhere else in DL?
for the one at Disneyland does Roger Rabbits Car Toon Spin go away to make room for this?

It is a bit confusing and hard to picture, so I adjusted the previous map a bit.

The RED SHADED blocks are the existing "Expansion Pads" that could be used for either Star Wars Land or Fantasyland expansion at some point in the future. The lower red shaded block is the current outdoor Fantasyland Theater.

The GOLD SHADED block is Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, which remains in the Toontown roster of attractions.

The TURQUOISE SHADED square is the cut-and-paste of the existing DHS ride building for Runaway Railway plopped over the existing backstage area that is soon to be demolished, and I've added a turquoise arrow for where it's assumed the ride/queue entrance will be.

The turquoise arrow is actually left of the Five & Dime gift shop, and overlays the current City Hall area of Toontown, which is basically just empty facades. If I were to guess, the Runaway Railway ride entrance will take over the City Hall area in a new facade themed to a movie palace or a train depot or whatever WDI feels is best for the story that plays out inside.

disney-toontown-hd-wallpapers-70077-282661.png

At DHS they put this ride in the building behind the fabulous Chinese Theater, to keep that DHS icon. But in Mickey's Toontown they will build an all new structure from the ground up, so there is no need to keep it a movie theater facade if they don't want to. Assuming the interior queue is somehow themed to a movie palace lobby and/or going in to see a big movie, perhaps they will stick with a movie theater facade. They could redo this area as the Toontown Grand Movie Palace or whatever.

It should be interesting to see what they do differently without the Chinese Theater facade at DHS.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

It's too bad about the delay, but at least they are making sure it's practically perfect in every way. Now it probably won't break down like every Universal ride ever made.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So at dhs they kill the park icon to put this in... nuking on of the parks only true high capacity ride... for expediting a build... that. Won't be expedited.

At dlr they put it in a land that has been rumored on the chopping block for ages... without replacing one of the most under appreciated attractions on property... in a land that must be cleared out for fireworks.

These guys.... can't make sense of them at times.

MickeyMouse10

The rest of the workers are all animatronics Marn, I thought you were an insider. :) What do you think they did with all the animatronics from The Great Movie Ride? That’s why one of the workers is green and looks really P’d off.

MickeyMinnieMom

MMRR isn't really facing an issue, per say. The ride itself is fine, it's just that all the workers that were focused on it are all being diverted to SW:GE to make sure the land will be in working order for the pushed up opening date.
I know I’m repeating myself but I just don’t get this... why redirect rather than adding more staff to get both done? They desperately need the attraction capacity. Can they be that concerned with short term financials on this one? Are they bumping up against managerial staff capacity in some way?? Otherwise I just don’t get why they don’t flex up for this.

YodaMan

I know I’m repeating myself but I just don’t get this... why redirect rather than adding more staff to get both done? They desperately need the attraction capacity. Can they be that concerned with short term financials on this one? Are they bumping up against managerial staff capacity in some way?? Otherwise I just don’t get why they don’t flex up for this.

There are too many projects at once and there physically aren’t enough humans to get done all these projects in time.

ToTBellHop

I thought there was a shortage of workers available in Central Florida? There are a LOT of ongoing construction projects.

Kman101

What's funny is the whole reason GMR died was to speed along the opening of this attraction in favor of a build elsewhere. GMR's death stings just a tad more now.

Yep.

I never bought it was anything more than saving on not building a new warehouse for the ride and not paying for the GMR re-do. They were lazy. And it's kind of biting them in the behind, like it often does. When will they EVER learn to just spend the money now. They knew the park needed expansion, yet "we have to replace GMR" and we can open this before SW Land. Nope. They can't even get Rise open in time. #Failed

It's kind of amazing to see people defending them not expanding and instead replacing (on TWITTER) whining how GMR was "old", without understanding how important EXPANDING is. Disney must be so proud when people buy the lame excuses they try and sell them. But I think they knew everyone would defend a Mickey ride.

I still think Star Wars Land went in the wrong spot.

How much say does Uncle Phil have in what happens in the park? Is he even still running the park? I know it's often in name only ... He did the MK no favors either ...

@MansionButler84 , @Magic Feather , @marni1971 sorry to bother you all but I'm just curious how they think, internally, this is all turning out for themselves ;)

GlacierGlacier

I thought there was a shortage of workers available in Central Florida? There are a LOT of ongoing construction projects.
Every company is busy. And hiring :)

One should also keep in mind that it's a specialized industry. Sure, regular construction companies can get the work done with infrastructure, facilities, and even hotels and some guest buildings. But skilled labor, the kind that does show installation, ride engineering, sculpting work, prop manufacturing, etc, are in limited supply. And it's not as if it's just local projects keeping these groups busy - international investment in themed entertainment has kept Orlando companies well occupied.

I don't know if there is a shortage - I'm not in the numbers enough to know. But I do know few venders are struggling.

ToTBellHop

Every company is busy. And hiring :)

One should also keep in mind that it's a specialized industry. Sure, regular construction companies can get the work done with infrastructure, facilities, and even hotels and some guest buildings. But skilled labor, the kind that does show installation, ride engineering, sculpting work, prop manufacturing, etc, are in limited supply. And it's not as if it's just local projects keeping these groups busy - international investment in themed entertainment has kept Orlando companies well occupied.

I don't know if there is a shortage - I'm not in the numbers enough to know. But I do know few venders are struggling.
Yes. They struggle to find candidates with the appropriate credentials who can routinely show up on time and sober.

I’m not trying to be mean. The college I work for added an advanced manufacturing program and that is literally what the would-be employers claim they struggle with. Not lack-of-work, as you similarly suggest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom