News Improvements coming to the entrances of all four Walt Disney World theme parks

jaklgreen

My guess is there will be 2 permanent security checks, one for guests coming from the busses, and one for guests coming from the trams / parking lot. This would put the monorail entrance and exit within the security zone.

I’m hoping Disney really fixes the security process with all of this. They need to have permanent structures providing shade/ shelter for guests waiting, and they need to make the experience as smooth and seamless as possible. What I really want is a list of written procedures posted, as right now the rules seem to change based on which park and who’s working.

I agree, they definitely need serious changes. But things would go much smoother if people got with the program. Numerous times I have been in the no bag line and someone tries to come in with a bag. Or, even though the cast members repeatedly say to take out all of your metal and put it in the container, people set off the metal detector. I heard one guy ahead of me that set it off say "my phone too?" The security guy said "it's metal, isn't it?" in a not so friendly way. I can imagine how frustrating it is to deal with that all day. And this guy spoke perfect English so it was not a language issue.

TrainsOfDisney

It shouldn’t be the guests job to know how to go through security. There should be proper signage and proper communication.

One sign that says “no bags line” in one language is not enough. What does Disney count as a bag? (Yes I know the answer, but how is the average guest supposed to know the answer?).

Likewise one cm saying “remove all metal” is not enough, there should be proper signage, in multiple languages, explaining that phones, keys, wallets, etc should be placed in the tray.

Figment2005

It shouldn’t be the guests job to know how to go through security. There should be proper signage and proper communication.

One sign that says “no bags line” in one language is not enough. What does Disney count as a bag? (Yes I know the answer, but how is the average guest supposed to know the answer?).

Likewise one cm saying “remove all metal” is not enough, there should be proper signage, in multiple languages, explaining that phones, keys, wallets, etc should be placed in the tray.
Seeing it first hand on a daily basis tells me that during the entry process of every park the guests should pay more attention to getting to there destination and less about there phones or other distractions. The signs exist, and the majority of them are quite obvious, yet guests are constantly getting lost. The cast members are happy to help point them in the right direction, but there is only so much they can do.

Perfect example is coming from Epcot to Magic Kingdom. The sign leading up to the monorail says Magic Kingdom via Transportation and Ticket Center. Once on the monorail the spiel says we are on our way to the Transportation and Ticket Center, and what transportation you can get once you arrive. On the final approach to the station another spiel says to be sure to follow all directional signage before boarding any Disney transportation. In the end, many will ignore or not notice the signage and do one of two things. Either they will ask one of the many transportation cast members to be sure they are going the right direction (good choice btw) or they will just randomly walk on to something without any idea of where it goes and then complain to a cast member when they go to the wrong place (not the correct choice).

This happens all over property, so while the signage isn't perfect it does exist and just needs to be used.

TrainsOfDisney

What signage exists that explains the security / entrance procedure? There’s the “prohibited items” small print signs, and there’s a “no bags” sign. Only ones I’m aware of.

jaklgreen

What signage exists that explains the security / entrance procedure? There’s the “prohibited items” small print signs, and there’s a “no bags” sign. Only ones I’m aware of.

Cast members are out there telling people the procedure over and over and over again. If you have not seen or heard that, then maybe you are one of the ones that are not paying attention. Not saying that to be rude, but I see and hear it every trip. The one's that I have seen that have issues are usually the ones that speak perfect English because I can hear the conversation.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m not talking about myself, I’ve been through security at Florida and Cali enough to know just about every combo of things that can happen! Ha.

My complaint is on the inconsistencies. Sometimes cm’s are making the procedure clear, and sometimes they are not. Relying on cm’s to explain the procedure is part of the problem imho, there should be clear signage explaining the process.

And again, the procedure changes from
Park to park, and depending on who is working.

Ricky Spanish

Seeing it first hand on a daily basis tells me that during the entry process of every park the guests should pay more attention to getting to there destination and less about there phones or other distractions. The signs exist, and the majority of them are quite obvious, yet guests are constantly getting lost. The cast members are happy to help point them in the right direction, but there is only so much they can do.

Perfect example is coming from Epcot to Magic Kingdom. The sign leading up to the monorail says Magic Kingdom via Transportation and Ticket Center. Once on the monorail the spiel says we are on our way to the Transportation and Ticket Center, and what transportation you can get once you arrive. On the final approach to the station another spiel says to be sure to follow all directional signage before boarding any Disney transportation. In the end, many will ignore or not notice the signage and do one of two things. Either they will ask one of the many transportation cast members to be sure they are going the right direction (good choice btw) or they will just randomly walk on to something without any idea of where it goes and then complain to a cast member when they go to the wrong place (not the correct choice).

This happens all over property, so while the signage isn't perfect it does exist and just needs to be used.
Ha ha ha. Good one. You actually think people read AND comprehend signs?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm not sure what about "No bags" isn't clear. And most people should be used to the security screening at the parks, it's not all that different from what you go through at the airport when flying. If you haven't flown in the past 18 years, I guess you wouldn't know but otherwise, you should.

UKDisney Dave

Cast members are out there telling people the procedure over and over and over again. If you have not seen or heard that, then maybe you are one of the ones that are not paying attention. Not saying that to be rude, but I see and hear it every trip. The one's that I have seen that have issues are usually the ones that speak perfect English because I can hear the conversation.

I don’t totally disagree, and certainly there is a percentage of people who just clearly are not ever aware of their situation.

However I would also say that perhaps if you haven’t heard the CM it’s because you're one of the thousands of people who are making their first trip to the world, and are more worried about where you children, partner, and grandad are wandering to, where you put the tickets and where the nearest toilet is for your 3 year old kid.

Not everyone who goes to the parks is lucky enough to be a Disney veteran like the majority of people on this site. Therefor not everyone arriving at the parks for the first time will understand that those green rather temporary tents house a full on security screening process.

More sinage (any signage) would help. More CM before the security line explaining would help. And yes, more consistency across the parks at the security line would help.

Patcheslee

More sinage (any signage) would help. More CM before the security line explaining would help. And yes, more consistency across the parks at the security line would help.
Being partially deaf more signage would help. First trip was in 2017 and couldn't hear what CMs or security were saying to help direct flow due to the drone of crowds. I had issues through MCO in 2018 as well because they were telling ppl to remove food, but keep electronics, 3-1-1 items in luggage. The signs contradicted procedure, just verbal that personally could not be heard.

mm121

Are they still planning on manually checking the bags with the new security procedures? Universals airport style scanners are clearly far superior and more efficient to Disney's system.
No word on this changing. But it very well could be a possibility once more permanent structures are constructed to keep the equipment protected from the elements.

PG 134

You can yell out directions of where to go, point directions of where to go, wear bright colors to attract focus while stating where to go, add signage telling where to go, dance so that there is no way to miss your pointing and voice, and tape arrows on the ground. A lot of people will still try to go the wrong way or ask where to go.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Regarding signage, one of the biggest improvements would be overhead signs for anything of merit as opposed to the temporary sandwich board signs sat on the floor that you can’t see in a crowd of more than half a dozen. Hopefully when these projects are completed each park will have a welcoming, efficient and state of the art entrance facility.

nickys

Premium Member
Regarding signage, one of the biggest improvements would be overhead signs for anything of merit as opposed to the temporary sandwich board signs sat on the floor that you can’t see in a crowd of more than half a dozen. Hopefully when these projects are completed each park will have a welcoming, efficient and state of the art entrance facility.

Well that would be brilliant! Any idea how long this is likely to take?

TrainsOfDisney

Hopefully when these projects are completed each park will have a welcoming, efficient and state of the art entrance facility.

Yes this is what I’m hoping for. Not a random white tent and sandwich boards!

Another item to mention- if you’re going to turn the machines up to the point they alarm if you’re wearing a belt, than just ask people
To remove their belts. I don’t want to get wanded just for wearing a belt. In California I always take my belt off, since their machines always alert it, but in Florida it is only 1 out of 10 times or so.

The process has definitely gotten much better over the few years, separating ttc and mk security made everything 10 times better in my opinion so I see it headed in the right direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom