News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, April 20, 2019.

Additional architectural details on the exterior of the building. Note the new ironwork above the arches, and the "eye" in the center of the arches.

Ironwork added to the large arched windows on the ground floor. The enclosed passage from the original lobby to the new tower building is filling out.

Low concrete walls now outline the water front courtyard for the tower building. The area in the foreground is already paved very close to the water's edge.

The Villa Del Lago restaurant is nearing completion. Several wind sculptures have been installed on this side of the building.

The backside of Villa Del Lago.

All three of the boardwalks to the restaurant have the scrims removed, with only this chain link fence barring entry. With the blue sandwich sign posted at each boardwalk, perhaps the Villa Del Lago will open sooner rather than later.

This last photo shows the connection between the new tower and the original lobby building. At the end of the sidewalk, the scrim has been removed showing the elevation difference to the new tower porte cochere. Workers were preparing the ground for the sidewalk extension to the new bus transportation shelters behind the tree trunk on the right.

etc98

Photo update as of Saturday, April 20, 2019.

View attachment 366565

Additional architectural details on the exterior of the building. Note the new ironwork above the arches, and the "eye" in the center of the arches.

View attachment 366566

Ironwork added to the large arched windows on the ground floor. The enclosed passage from the original lobby to the new tower building is filling out.

View attachment 366567

Low concrete walls now outline the water front courtyard for the tower building. The area in the foreground is already paved very close to the water's edge.

View attachment 366568

The Villa Del Lago restaurant is nearing completion. Several wind sculptures have been installed on this side of the building.

View attachment 366569

The backside of Villa Del Lago.

View attachment 366570

All three of the boardwalks to the restaurant have the scrims removed, with only this chain link fence barring entry. With the blue sandwich sign posted at each boardwalk, perhaps the Villa Del Lago will open sooner rather than later.

View attachment 366574

View attachment 366571

This last photo shows the connection between the new tower and the original lobby building. At the end of the sidewalk, the scrim has been removed showing the elevation difference to the new tower porte cochere. Workers were preparing the ground for the sidewalk extension to the new bus transportation shelters behind the tree trunk on the right.

View attachment 366572
I honestly don't mind it too much, but I think two things would have made the building much more aesthetically pleasing: more color and window trim. The current lobby building has reds and teals in addition to the main beige color, and it works great. The tower needs a pop of color too. And the windows are just big glass voids, trim around them would make them into architectural features.

Sir_Cliff

I honestly don't mind it too much, but I think two things would have made the building much more aesthetically pleasing: more color and window trim. The current lobby building has reds and teals in addition to the main beige color, and it works great. The tower needs a pop of color too. And the windows are just big glass voids, trim around them would make them into architectural features.
I feel pretty much the same. Overall, it doesn't look too bad and, honestly, I don't think the existing buildings at Coronado were architectural works of art. The new restaurant looks nice and, honestly, I'd probably try to stay in the tower if I were booking at Coronado Springs again in the future.

They really aren't trying to make these new towers works of great architecture or theming, though. To me, the tower has a very blocky and kind of ungainly look with minimal theming applied on top rather than appearing as organic to the building itself. It would be much improved by just having that central section with the restaurant and dome rise a storey or two above those big flat, featureless walls at the top. That would give it more of a cascading feel rather than such a monolithic one. Oh well, it is what it is.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I feel pretty much the same. Overall, it doesn't look too bad and, honestly, I don't think the existing buildings at Coronado were architectural works of art. The new restaurant looks nice and, honestly, I'd probably try to stay in the tower if I were booking at Coronado Springs again in the future.

They really aren't trying to make these new towers works of great architecture or theming, though. To me, the tower has a very blocky and kind of ungainly look with minimal theming applied on top rather than appearing as organic to the building itself. It would be much improved by just having that central section with the restaurant and dome rise a storey or two above those big flat, featureless walls at the top. That would give it more of a cascading feel rather than such a monolithic one. Oh well, it is what it is.
I thought about switching, but the upgrade from 10 nights in a Preferred King to the tower was almost $800 USD. In Canadian Monopoly money, that’s almost $1100.

Nope.

jmuboy

I thought about switching, but the upgrade from 10 nights in a Preferred King to the tower was almost $800 USD. In Canadian Monopoly money, that’s almost $1100.

Nope.

So I agree with a lot of the comments ......
the tower is bland for sure but not an eyesore

My question - what becomes of the original lobby? A giant seating and lounging area between the new lobby and convention center ? The old lobby was actually pretty

IMDREW

I don't understand why they didn't went with the colours in the concept arts?.. Why brown instead of the green or gold for the ornaments? And no window trims now looks like it isn't finished.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

My question - what becomes of the original lobby? A giant seating and lounging area between the new lobby and convention center ? The old lobby was actually pretty
I’m not sure. I’ve heard the pineapple fountain is a goner. No more iconic John Mancini pics in front of it. 🙁

cosmicgirl

I’m not sure. I’ve heard the pineapple fountain is a goner. No more iconic John Mancini pics in front of it. 🙁

I've read/heard before that they'll use the original lobby for group check in and overflow. I don't remember where I read it, though. Maybe it was from Passport to the Parks? I think he tries to speak to someone a little higher up to get info whenever he does a construction tour and apparently they've been very accommodating.

Why would they remove the fountain, though?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

castlecake2.0

Looking pretty good, hopefully once landscaping is installed it’ll help the the tower look a little more connected to the overall resort. I’m stsying first week of June and hoping the new restaurant is open. I’ve asjed before, does anyone know if the new dining will be Disney or third party?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom