Trip Report THE ONE WHERE THE FRIENDS GO TO DISNEY; ALMOST LIVE IN APRIL.

Day one sort of/ April 1

Why “almost live”? To give myself the loophole if I can not handle it

Truth be told, I am sitting in the airport now. It’s 5:30 and I have a 6:10 am flight to FLL. If you have “traveled” with me before you know I multi task when I am down in Florida. My son has a lacrosse game tonight. I will head up to Disney tomorrow.

Who is going on this trip? My friend K and I. We met when our oldest were in the same first grade class. We were the class moms and became fast friends. (So did the boys) She divorced some years later and moved to the north shore. (I am on the south shore). We do not see each other as often as we want but we see each other when we can.
She had a birthday in December and asked if I wanted to go to the city for the weekend. Lets see...NYC in December? NO THANK YOU! I countered with Florida in April. We took our youngest to WDW last April and had a great time

See Dre’s happy face in the back? Told you we had a great time!!!

She is a ton of fun! We will be taking it easy and enjoying the resort more than normal. She is not a huge ride/parks person but will do it for me and for the adventure.

Ok. Time to board. B8. Not too bad.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
K is a REAL friend. Even though she doesn't like Disney. Well, its not that she doesnt like it it is more like she tolerates it. For me.

After dinner went to see eggs at GF.

Full disclosure, Danny Elfman is my favorite of all time. Oingo Boingo played at my HS and I met him once when they played at the Forum. Such a huge talent!!! That is why I like nightmare before xmas.

The emerald city!

I had a friend in HS who use to dance in a cage just like this. TMI?

Trunk up❤️For luck!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I was more than excited to meet Mickey!!!

I wished him happy birthday and explained how I just had a birthday too and I wanted to come on my birthday but couldn't. He was ok with that and wished me happy birthday.

I told Minnie how awesome she looked in that dress. She said me too. I told her we had just come from the Polynesian and she said she loved the Polynesian.

BTW, K didnt get it. “Dar, its a girl in a costume.”
Blasphemy!!!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Great picture of you with Mickey and Minnie 😃. Looks like your having such a fun trip. And one thing’s for sure: K may only “tolerate” WDW but she still smiles in pictures more than AJ 😉 (luckily my DD is slowly starting to grow out of her I’m too cool to smile phase)

Songbird76

Smoke break for K

We have been non stop, thus the “almost live”.
After splash we headed to Jungle cruise were we had Courtney as our skipper. Loved her! She made that joke while heading toward the water fall, “ oh no everyone lean. Lean. Pivot”.
Me, being in my friends shirt started yelling PIV OT! PIV OT!
Courtney said “i knew you would get that because of your shirts. And for anyone who doesnt get the joke, season 5 episode 16”.
We of course googled it and she was right. Scary!
My DD started laughing in Biology when they were studying about ligaments, tendons, joints, etc, and one of the words they had to know was "pivot". None of the other kids got it.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Great picture of you with Mickey and Minnie 😃. Looks like your having such a fun trip. And one thing’s for sure: K may only “tolerate” WDW but she still smiles in pictures more than AJ 😉 (luckily my DD is slowly starting to grow out of her I’m too cool to smile phase)
Ha ha. AJ has also grown up some in the past month or so. Unfortunately Dre is only 18 months younger. So as one boy leaves a phase the next one enters it. 2 more years of this nonsense!👎

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
take K to raglan road and check out the raglan roots coalition band if they are playing...
good times

ETA turn left upon exiting raglan and there is a smoking area by the bridge, only a few steps away
We have a smoking area outside our building at Poly. I am not a smoker but I do not see how the park ban will be a good thing. I suspect people will light up wherever and try to sneak it quickly. Part of me can’t blame them, especially after doing the parks with a smoker. It is a hassel. Not just for the smoker but their entire party.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
OMG, I love the Friends/Disney shirts!!! Where did you get them!?

My friend makes most of my Disney shirts. Actually her husband. They have a big machine and all the softwear etc. I tell him what I want and viola!
My DD started laughing in Biology when they were studying about ligaments, tendons, joints, etc, and one of the words they had to know was "pivot". None of the other kids got it.
I love love love that episode. My husband and I are always quoting pivot! I loved how the skipper got the audience involved too. Even if I was the only one to get it.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I left K snoring in bed. Geesh, lesson learned with this one. I love her dearly but no more WDW trips with her!!!

I am at the pool. It use to be the quiet pool I was told by the bellman but since dvc came in it is now more of a main pool. I.E. it has the oasis grill, but no slide. (Perhaps the resident Poly expert could weigh in here? @Tuvalu anything to add/clarify?)

Some pool area photos:

Love this retro surfboard style.

I want these chairs!

Ok this. I love palm trees but this one kinda looks like it is wearing Plutos collar. 🌴

I am all set.

K can sleep in the room. I may nap right here!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The Oasis pool retains the "quiet pool" title since there are no lifeguards or pool games. Whether or not the pool is the "main" pool is disputable, as we have always found the Lava Pool (formerly Volcano Pool) more crowded than the Oasis pool.

Want a pool history lesson? (If not, keep scrolling.....) When the Poly was first built, there was only one pool. It had a rock formation with a very short (but albeit fast!) slide. It also had a deep end of 8 feet and when underwater you could hear Polynesian music playing. A "quiet" pool was added when three more longhouses (the buildings which are now DVC) were built in the late 70s/80s. This pool was in the same location as the current Oasis, though it was a different shape and smaller in size. It also had an 8 foot deep end for years (which was great on hot days....the water was always cold!) until a refurb filled in the deep end with more concrete, making it 4 feet all around.

The rock formation of what I still consider the "main" pool was eventually eliminated and replaced by a large volcano with a slide. The pool changed shape and size, no more deep end, but added a sitting shelf and a water feature (creek dumping into the pool, similar to WL). During the last refurb, the volcano was made smaller, the pool became zero-depth entry, the water feature removed and the kids splash area added. Once this work was done, construction on the Oasis pool area (with bar and grill addition) began.

I am seriously coveting where you are now. But I have an important family event shortly that will make up for it!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The Oasis pool retains the "quiet pool" title since there are no lifeguards or pool games. Whether or not the pool is the "main" pool is disputable, as we have always found the Lava Pool (formerly Volcano Pool) more crowded than the Oasis pool.

Want a pool history lesson? (If not, keep scrolling.....) When the Poly was first built, there was only one pool. It had a rock formation with a very short (but albeit fast!) slide. It also had a deep end of 8 feet and when underwater you could hear Polynesian music playing. A "quiet" pool was added when three more longhouses (the buildings which are now DVC) were built in the late 70s/80s. This pool was in the same location as the current Oasis, though it was a different shape and smaller in size. It also had an 8 foot deep end for years (which was great on hot days....the water was always cold!) until a refurb filled in the deep end with more concrete, making it 4 feet all around.

The rock formation of what I still consider the "main" pool was eventually eliminated and replaced by a large volcano with a slide. The pool changed shape and size, no more deep end, but added a sitting shelf and a water feature (creek dumping into the pool, similar to WL). During the last refurb, the volcano was made smaller, the pool became zero-depth entry, the water feature removed and the kids splash area added. Once this work was done, construction on the Oasis pool area (with bar and grill addition) began.

I am seriously coveting where you are now. But I have an important family event shortly that will make up for it!
Love the history lesson!!! Thanks and enjoy family time!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom