Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm thinking you're going to need to blindfold him when he walks in for the first time so you can take a pic of his reaction.
tenor.gif

Or I just have to walk in front of him to video. I really think there will be tears of joy at some point, he thinks so too. The only time I've ever seen him weep is when the Cubs won the World Series so it will be something to see when his childhood dream of "being" in Star Wars becomes reality.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23

Today we were up early for a special event. I listen to the Mousetalgia podcast, which is mostly about Disneyland but has a lot of other Disney topics as well. It is so good! Anyway they were having a special meet up weekend, Anything Can Happen weekend and there were plenty of opportunities to meet up with the group. The one we decided to attend was their Wildest Breakfast event at Disneyland.

We met up with the group by 6:45, but we are always early so we were there by 6:20 am and we even were in the esplanade area before the background music started to play. And we were taken to one of the side turnstiles and let into the park about 5 minutes before everyone else. That alone was worth the ticket to the event! It was so cool to be on Main Street before the park opened to the public!

A little blurry but we were on the move

We were then led through Adventureland on the way to Frontierland.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23 2019

I really don't know why they led us through Adventureland when they could have just taken us to the Frontierland entrance, but I'm not complaining because it was a true treat to travel through Adventureland without anyone in there or in my way! This Dis-nerd was in heaven!

So a few pictures of empty Adventureland and into Frontierland. Sorry for any blur, we were walking and I was too excited to pause.

Brad with the group.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23

After our group picture we were led over to Tomorrowland for our breakfast at the old Starcade. There weren't any video games anymore but there was a nice breakfast buffet. We had a nice time at breakfast chatting with some people and the Mousetalgia team recorded a segment for their show and there was a trivia game. I love trivia!

The Mousetalgia team.

We were then visited by the Big Cheese! Isn't he so cute in his western gear!

And I won a prize pack during the trivia contest.

By about 9-9:15am the event was wrapping up. Since we had entered Disneyland with our park ticket we had already made a couple of fast passes for DCA...gotta love Maxpass! So we headed over to DCA for the rest of the morning.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23

Once we got into DCA we posed for a couple pictures with Walt and Mickey before heading over to Guardians.

I never noticed that Walt had a newspaper in his back pocket, on a closer look it is the Kansas City. Such a neat touch since the statue is supposed to be him arriving in California from Kansas City.

On to Guardians. It was strange seeing all of the Bug's Land stuff gone in prep for Marvel.

Guardians was great as always, at least for me. B had a group of 20-something guys next to him and they decided to do something with their feet that would allow them to fly up more. This meant that the guy next to Brad kept pushing down on him. B was very annoyed.

In the queue

Rocket!

After Guardians we rode Monsters Inc and then we were going to do the Captain Marvel meet and greet but she was taking her break soon. The picture area is well themed though.

Black Panther and guard only had 2 people in line and we hadn't ever had our picture with him so we did that.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23

We ended up going to Carsland and Soarin and even though we had eaten a bigger breakfast all the excitement and wandering around made us hungry and we decided to give Food and Wine another go.

The first dish started out good with the LA Style booth and some asian style tacos. There was a little too much pickled ginger but I took some off and it was delish!

Then it was beer o'clock and I went with this lovely sampler.

And from the beer booth we got the pepperoni pizza egg rolls. Another great dish. So far so good today DCA Food and Wine!

Then as we worked our way more towards the Pier we got a place to sit and Brad went to some booths to get us food. He went to the Peppers booth first and we tried the Ghost Pepper mac and cheese. It was good, bad and addicting.

We do like some spicy food but HOLY COW! It was very creamy and tasted so good for like the first 5 second of every bite. After those 5 seconds I would think, whoa spicy! Then it was OMG, my mouth is on fire!!!! Then I would eat some more. We should have been smart and got some milk to have with it to cut down on the fire. We didn't end up eating it all but almost. Brad quit first and I stopped when I started to get a burning pain inside my ears.

The view from our table.

Then we tried the Petite Impossible Burger with Guac and Pepper Jack Cheese and the Spice Roasted Chicken on Pita with Avocado Hummus and Garlic Sauce from the Avocado Time booth

The chicken dish didn't have a lot of flavor. It is possible that the Ghost pepper had burned our taste buds a little but we had given us some time between dishes to get back into tasting shape. The dish was okay, but forgetable.

The impossible burger was surprisingly very good. I hadn't ever had a veggie burger and didn't know what to expect. But we both enjoyed this a lot and thought it tasted and had the texture of meat. Brad claims he doesn't like guac but he didn't seem to mind this on the burger. I am even considering getting this again next week.

There was a special Annual Passholder area with a cute photo opportunity.

Coming up: B and I learn to make Tiki drinks.

And with that I'm off to pack for Disneyland for next week. I have the day off today because it is snowing (almost a blizzard.)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23

We ended on Toy Story Mania and then Incredicoaster. We were about to get ready to leave the park when I noticed that no one was in line for Jack Jack Num Num, that line is always long. It was a sign. The cookie was good, warm and gooey. We ate it while next to the Frozone meet and greet.

We went back to the room for a quick nap and made it back for our drink seminar. It was put on by Trader Sam's. We learned how to make a Trader Sam's Mai Tai. It was fun! Our drinks turned out very tasty and one of us got a little buzzed (hint, it was not me). This is the view from the Sonoma Terrace area where the event was held. There was a couple trivia questions and we both won some nut snacks as our prize.

We got to pick our own seat.

BOOZE!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23

After our mixology class we needed a little sustenance. There was one last Food and Wine booth that we needed to try and one that we had really been looking forward to, Garlic Kissed. Luckily it did not disappoint at all.

We shared the pork belly bahn mi

And we shared the mac and cheese with crispy garlic crumbles (oh very good!) I'm having this again next week FOR SURE!

And something that was good, but no garlic in it, a Mickey Mouse mousse chocolate cake. Very similar to the one I had at the Jolly Holiday but a bit smaller.

And a "insta" style photo of all three.

I'm pretty sure there was a band playing in the area, the Phat Cat Swingers but they finished up shortly and we wanted more food. Brad wandered into Paradise gardens for some tacos (for both of us), and fish and chips for him.

I met up with him there because I needed to get another helping of the garlic mac and cheese. And I stopped at the festival beer garden for something nourishing.

As we left I saw a sign that explained why Californians are so happy.

B and I headed over to Soarin and along the way I was able to spot one of the infamous Disneyland cats. It made me think of @StarWarsGirl .

Then when we entered Soarin' I thought of @Tuvalu when I was handed a special red card! I made Brad take a picture of me with it, and he was confused. I've explained about the red card thing before, but he clearly hadn't retained it's importance. So I just told him to trust me that it's a things.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23

We left Soarin' and headed over to Guardians again. I totally forgot that the Red Trolley Cars were going to be closed for awhile (I guess until 2020?) shortly after this trip so we are both upset we didn't take the time to ride one again while we were there in March. We (I) had a nice time on Guardians. While nobody was pushing on Brad this time it was a little too much and and down for him tonight and we had to find a bench for him after the ride.

But the view was pretty from the bench.

Then we wandered around Pixar Pier we used the new buddy pass system at Toy Story Mania.

And listened to a band at Paradise Gardens.

For our evening activity I had booked us the World of Color dessert party. I was fully aware that it would not be a WDW style dessert party going in and that was fine. I wanted to see the show and seeing it from a reserved seat sounded fantastic and so hassle free.

So we went over to wait in the line for check-in. A cast member was doing some pre-check in stuff and right before he got to us a family of three tried to wedge (cut) in front of us, the dad pushed his kid in between me and the guy in front of me! Right then I turned to the dad pushing his kid and started to tell him that the line was behind us (there were about 15 people behind us) and the dad (holding 2 beer cups) ignored me and started to check in with the cast member but I cut him off and said that I had been next in line and had been standing behind those people (and pointed to the people that had been in front of me & they turned and nodded) for about 10 minutes. The cast member looked confused, worried and stood speechless and Brad was playing on his phone and didn't realize what had really happened either. So I used my best middle school teacher voice and told the dad that he was cutting in front of us and the line was clearly behind us and he needed to move there. He looked at me and realized he wasn't getting his way and moved, his wife had already wandered off,she came back with more beer a few minutes later. I heard her ask him what happened and he muttered about the line being confused. Whatever buddy!

Anyway, once the party opened, we checked in again and were sent to the seating area. There we got our choice of high tops or lower tables. We picked the lower table and we were happy with our choice. The tables were crammed in together though, that bothered me only because really once I was seated there was no easy way out and that makes me nervous. It was a little chilly so even though we were offered an alcoholic punch I picked coffee. Brad wanted Coke but they didn't have any Coke, they had every other main soft drink though. The desserts were a pre-set plate and there were things I liked and Brad didn't and vice versa so we made some swaps with each other. We were also given a bread basket to share. Overall I liked more of the desserts than he did but we both liked the reserved seats. A couple in their 30's from Ohio were seated at our table. It was their first Disneyland trip but they were WDW vets so it was fun chatting with them.

Here's a look at the desserts.

And ready for the show.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
You and me both...at least you aren't at work though. ;) Whatever happened to "working lunches" anyway?
wine_juiceboxes.gif

I don't think teachers ever had working lunches, or at least they shouldn't have them! Ha! Maybe in your profession it would be more accepted though!

I could have had a drink with lunch today, as we had a snow day...again. It was our 10th snow day off of school this year. It has been the most ever in my life.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday March 23

And some scenes from World of Color. It was an enjoyable show. We both got colder while watching the show because even though we were a fair distance from the water the wind carried the mist towards us chilling us a little more. The pirates part is always my favorite but this time I couldn't wait for it because there would be fire and heat! The big criss-crossed poles are from the Food and Wine bands during the day.

Overall the dessert party had a decent value. It won't be an every time we go thing but we would go again. I just wish Disneyland would do the dessert party more like WDW, especially the Star Wars or Frozen dessert parties. Those are fantastic.

Then I played around with some night pictures on the way out of the park.

I didn't end up too happy with this one. I might try again next week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom