First Trip to Wilderness Lodge! Tips Appreciated!!

Yes. You can google for images and get a pretty good idea what to expect. There is some variation on the balconies, depending on the floor and area of the resort. Some of the top floor ones are more enclosed.
Thx, but that's what's driving my question. some appear to have them and some don't. I'm wondering if the balconies facing the Kingdom don't so that views aren't obstructed (fireworks, perhaps)

Tuvalu

Does anyone know if the nature view balconies have privacy barriers between each balcony? We usually stay at the Poly, but trying WL this October...thx
Thx, but that's what's driving my question. some appear to have them and some don't. I'm wondering if the balconies facing the Kingdom don't so that views aren't obstructed (fireworks, perhaps)
Generally, Floors 2-6 (or 2-5 in the north wing) have privacy partitions between each room but open railings facing out. A few lower floors have enclosed balconies to hide a not-so-good view (standard category).
The top floors (7 in the main building, 6 in the wing) are fully enclosed and you must stand to see the view.

Open:

Enclosed:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Those rooms facing the MK on the Northern side have views of the MK mostly obstructed by trees (unless you're on the topmost floor) but we could still see some of the fireworks from the 4th floor.

Heppenheimer

From the first time I stepped in the lobby, I knew that Wilderness Lodge would be my permanent choice at Disney World. There's just such a huge "Wow" factor as soon as you walk in.

The only downside, in my opinion, is that they changed their signature restaurant into a character meal and significantly dumbed-down the menu. The former Artist's Point restaurant was very elegant, but quiet and it featured food selections that were perhaps a little too challenging for some of the pickier eaters that visit Disney World. Hence, it was usually not too busy and probably not profitable enough. A shame, because it was a great place for adults to have a quiet dinner. I have not eaten at the new Snow White character meal, but the videos I've seen indicate that the food looks considerably less interesting.

If you eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe, ask for ketchup at your personal peril!

Generally, Floors 2-6 (or 2-5 in the north wing) have privacy partitions between each room but open railings facing out. A few lower floors have enclosed balconies to hide a not-so-good view (standard category).
The top floors (7 in the main building, 6 in the wing) are fully enclosed and you must stand to see the view.

Open:
View attachment 360955

Enclosed:
View attachment 360954

View attachment 360956
thanks for the great pics. the bottom shows no privacy separation. does the first one have barriers on each side? that's where our rooms will be. thx

wlodge_man

My wife and I are going to Disney for 2019 Food and Wine, and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time. Help me get excited about it and and let me know any tips you may have!

It's a great resort, I too enjoy the lobby in the early AM sitting by the fireplace drinking my coffee. Or by the waterfalls outside. Don't be so busy that you don't get time to enjoy this marvelous resort. Not sure what music they are playing in the lobby these days, but I know in the past they selected music that fit the theme of this resort. Like the other deluxe resorts, you could spend a few days in without going anywhere.

Do you need anyone to carry your bags? I can clear my schedule... :happy:

harryk

Ask at the front desk for a sheet which explains the totem poles. Nice to know that they have the information telling what they are all about. The guided tour, of the atrium, is very good, especially if the Christmas Tree is not there and you can see the whole floor from the balconies.

Weather_Lady

If the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue dinner show at Fort Wilderness interests you, it's extremely convenient to reach from Wilderness Lodge: you can take the boat to Fort Wilderness from Wilderness lodge, or stroll along a walking path between the two resorts, to reach the "Pioneer Hall" end of Fort Wilderness where the show takes place.

Heppenheimer

If the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue dinner show at Fort Wilderness interests you, it's extremely convenient to reach from Wilderness Lodge: you can take the boat to Fort Wilderness from Wilderness lodge, or stroll along a walking path between the two resorts, to reach the "Pioneer Hall" end of Fort Wilderness where the show takes place.
Can anyone confirm or deny that the path is currently open? Because of the impending construction of the new hotel, I've heard different versions.

Weather_Lady

Can anyone confirm or deny that the path is currently open? Because of the impending construction of the new hotel, I've heard different versions.

I don't know. All I can say is that it appears on the current maps for Wilderness Lodge (and Wilderness Lodge Villas, for the DVC site) as the "Nature Trail" to Fort Wilderness -- right on the far right edge of each, at the extreme end of the Copper Creek DVC cabins.

It's certainly possible that it's been closed, partially or totally, due to construction. If it has, that's a shame.

Phicinfan

So I have stayed there 4 times, and loved each stay.
I agree with pretty much all of what is posted here ...
The food is pretty good at all, and Whispering Cafe has alot of fun.

Lobby and each floor has open areas above the lobby, great places to sit, relax and enjoy the view if you are calming down before or after park visits.

We have stayed twice on the Concierge level - if you are - enjoy snacks and drinks complimentary at many times as well as breakfast in that area alone, so for quick eve snacks or a quick breakfast before rope drop it is much quicker than one of the other restaurants.

I have not been there since the pool area was redone, but that and the new bar there look greatly improved.

Geyser watch is a must as well as the lobby suggestions on hidden mickey's and the totem poles.

Also agree the boat trips are much better to MK than the bus, and you can then take the monorail to Epcot from there. Once the Gondolas are up and running you can make it to DHS by gondola from Epcot so you won't need to touch a bus except to get to AK or Disney Springs.

Just the whole area around WL is great many paths to walk, or bike ride if you like it. Very calm and peaceful.

We will be there the first week of June this year so will let you know if any other changes have happened.

Heppenheimer

So I have stayed there 4 times, and loved each stay.
I agree with pretty much all of what is posted here ...
The food is pretty good at all, and Whispering Cafe has alot of fun.

Lobby and each floor has open areas above the lobby, great places to sit, relax and enjoy the view if you are calming down before or after park visits.

We have stayed twice on the Concierge level - if you are - enjoy snacks and drinks complimentary at many times as well as breakfast in that area alone, so for quick eve snacks or a quick breakfast before rope drop it is much quicker than one of the other restaurants.

I have not been there since the pool area was redone, but that and the new bar there look greatly improved.

Geyser watch is a must as well as the lobby suggestions on hidden mickey's and the totem poles.

Also agree the boat trips are much better to MK than the bus, and you can then take the monorail to Epcot from there. Once the Gondolas are up and running you can make it to DHS by gondola from Epcot so you won't need to touch a bus except to get to AK or Disney Springs.

Just the whole area around WL is great many paths to walk, or bike ride if you like it. Very calm and peaceful.

We will be there the first week of June this year so will let you know if any other changes have happened.
BTW, one thing I love about the boat from the MK back to the Wilderness Lodge... at night after the fireworks, there's a huge crush of visitors waiting in line for the monorail or the boats to go back to the parking lot. In contrast, the line for the Wilderness Lodge boat is usually fairly short, since the boat serves no other resorts.

Phicinfan

BTW, one thing I love about the boat from the MK back to the Wilderness Lodge... at night after the fireworks, there's a huge crush of visitors waiting in line for the monorail or the boats to go back to the parking lot. In contrast, the line for the Wilderness Lodge boat is usually fairly short, since the boat serves no other resorts.
One other thing, there is also a waterway parade on this portion of the lake so sometimes you can watch it from the docks, but also it can hold up some boat transportation. Still it is fun to watch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom