Trip Report *COMPLETED* No bouche for you! But do you want to build a snowman?

Hello all! We've been back for almost two weeks now, and while the holidays are still winding down, I still wish I was back in Disney so I figured I'd get this TR started! First the intros -

Who: Myself (Frank), my wife K, and our 4 year old princess C. This would be our second trip as a family in just as many years. I had been many times when I was younger with my family, and K had been a few times in the past. Once we hit college years we had stopped (for some reason), but after last year we were hooked (again for me).

IMG_4184.JPG

Also joining for the first half were my in-laws, G & P. They prefer to not have pictures on the internet, so they won’t be visibly appearing in this report.

When: December 9 - 15th 2018 (G & P were the 9th - 12th)

Where: Caribbean Beach Resort, stayed in Aruba 4626. I've always wanted to try this resort, and when I saw the concept art for the renovations I was really excited. We knew it was a risk that construction could get pushed back (and I started getting really nervous in August/September), but with a free dining promotion it was a deal I couldn't pass up! I'll give my thoughts on the resort including the renovations in the report.

Why: I detailed this more in the PTR, but long story short - we're expecting a little mouseketeer in April, and wanted one more big trip just the three of us. Plus the past year had it's ups and down and we could use a good vacation to round out the year. 65 days out G&P asked if they could join, and while it meant re-arranging a bit, we figured the more the merrier!

What this trip report has in store for you: Transportation failures, face-stuffing and imbibing, magic band failures, scooter drama, seasonal merriment, DVC dilemmas (do we join? you'll have to find out!) and of course quite a bit of magic.

Last edited:

Spash007

Original Poster
Back to the regular programming:

After we finished up at CP, we had just over an hour free. I had wanted to go to BTMRR or Splash at this point, but C had one request - go meet Jasmine. As this was especially her day before becoming a big sister, she got her wish granted and we made our way over to Adventureland.

Of course we just missed Aladding and Jasmine, but were told they'd be back in 25 minutes or so. Given that C loves the Flying Carpets, and we were right there, we decided to hop on. The line looked long, but not as bad as our MVMCP night. It was here, after the first switchback that one of the oddest things happened.

All of a sudden there was a clear rumbling through the crowd. As it got closer we could tell what it was: "Is anyone missing a kid?" :oops: A kid was walking backwards through the line, with no parent or adult near them. The lady on the opposite side of the switchback from us took the kids hand as she got closer to her, and then started back through the line asking who was missing a kid. The kid got reunited with the parents, who claimed they were going through the line and were looking for them. But, other people around them said they were actually just looking at their phones and only looked up when the lady holding the kids hand got closer. :banghead:

I completely understand that kids dart away quickly even if you are watching them closely, but in a line like that the kid can't move too quick (we also saw him not moving quickly). But these parents seemed a bit too relaxed with the whole ordeal. It also begged the question why no one else questioned a 5ish year old walking back through the line by themselves.

Anyway, we got on a short while later and the one thing I do like about the carpets, is the view they provide of Adventureland.

Including apparently our future home;)

As chance would have it, by the time we got off the carpets Aladdin and Jasmine weren't back yet, but a line had formed. A very long line.

We got in since we still had about 20-30 minutes left, and realized we were behind a large family. Great, they'll move quick and we'll be through in no time! Right?

Every family "unit" needed to meet seperately. And then they wanted individual pictures with Aladdin and Jasmine. Every. Single. Person. Of a 12 person family. :banghead: And did I mention the youngest was probably 17? I'm all for adults meeting characters, but this was just obnoxious. Especially because it was humid as anything, and we were all sweating like a sinful woman in church. (I don't think that actual phrase is allowed here but it's pretty accurate).

Finally we got there, and C got super chatty with them.

Jasmine however seemed ... off. She has a certain "holier than thou" attitude, which I thought was maybe part of the character, but I never remember Jasmine being like that in the movie (and Aladdin was my boy back in the day). This Jasmine would NOT have fallen for a street rat.

Case in point:

Hug the kid dangit!

Anyway, at this point we were on the verge of our very important date, so we had to rush through the drizzle that was beginning to get to...

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique! This was the big surprise we had in store for C this day, and were so happy that she was actually behaving much better than the night before. I think she really did just need sleep.

After parking the stroller and covering it up, we headed on in.

Spash007

Original Poster
In the midst of planning this trip, we found out we were going to have a boy and all of the princess plans made us realize how different our next trips may be. We'll still do all the Princess stuff for C, but if the boy gets more into Pirates, or Cars, or something and can't stand Princesses, we're going to have to seek out a balance that we don't currently have to worry about. (I know girls could go that route too). So this full on Princess day was thought of.

We went with the least expensive option, and brought our own Cinderella dress.

Side note: It came with a light up wand, which we had under the stroller. When going through security this morning and I was moving stuff under the stroller, I broke the wand. Let's just say that walk down Main Street this morning was not as magical.

Anyway, C met her Godmother in training, and soaked it all up. There's a salon near us that is catered towards kids that also gives girls a makeover when they get a haircut, and is actually pretty similar to this. However, the theatrical side of this, and being essentially in the castle makes it so much more special.

C seriously loves being pampered lol

When they were asking about a hair style, the Godmother asked us if we wanted to pick, or if we wanted to let C pick. We figured to let C pick. We did not realize that there was an option with neon pink extensions however. (You can probably tell where this is going). C saw the pink, and went right for those. We looked around and there was a girl further down that had the same style and the pink extensions looked super fake, and honestly cheap. We tried to convince her to change the color, but she would not back down. The Godmother could tell we were worried so she pulled us somewhat aside and told us she would make them look more natural, and it's only a scrunchy so we could always take them off pretty easily. So, somewhat skeptical, we continued.

Getting her pixie dust:

The final result.

We were still not huge fans of the pink, but C was thrilled. With her full Princess game on, we walked across the way to the photo studio. It was drizzling at this point and they gave us a little plastic bonnet to protect the hair, but we knew 1) C would then keep touching it, messing the hair up worse and 2) we saw multiple parents struggling with it so we decided to just hurry across the way.

Inside the studio we Facetimed a few people to show them C's transformation, and I looked around for some Christmas gifts for our nieces. I saw a few good options, but like many of my almost purchases, they were too big in my opinion for the plane.

Finally it was C's turn to get her pictures taken. Just like earlier, she soaked up the attention she was getting.

And it would not be C if she didn't find a way to be fierce:

All in all, BBB was definitely worth it. We saw some of the Pirate makeovers, and I don't know if I could see doing that for little boy, but I do think I would take C back. The package we got was I think $60 which wasn't awful, considering they gave us the makeup, shampoo and hairspray to take home (which we still use to get her ready for dance). The best part for her was either getting spoiled, or when throughout this day people would refer to her as a princess. Pretty much every ride we went on the CM loading/unloading would bow and welcome the Princess for arriving. :) Those little touches brought her so much joy, and I think is something we particularly love about Disney.

Songbird76

Back to the regular programming:

After we finished up at CP, we had just over an hour free. I had wanted to go to BTMRR or Splash at this point, but C had one request - go meet Jasmine. As this was especially her day before becoming a big sister, she got her wish granted and we made our way over to Adventureland.

Of course we just missed Aladding and Jasmine, but were told they'd be back in 25 minutes or so. Given that C loves the Flying Carpets, and we were right there, we decided to hop on. The line looked long, but not as bad as our MVMCP night. It was here, after the first switchback that one of the oddest things happened.

All of a sudden there was a clear rumbling through the crowd. As it got closer we could tell what it was: "Is anyone missing a kid?" :oops: A kid was walking backwards through the line, with no parent or adult near them. The lady on the opposite side of the switchback from us took the kids hand as she got closer to her, and then started back through the line asking who was missing a kid. The kid got reunited with the parents, who claimed they were going through the line and were looking for them. But, other people around them said they were actually just looking at their phones and only looked up when the lady holding the kids hand got closer. :banghead:

I completely understand that kids dart away quickly even if you are watching them closely, but in a line like that the kid can't move too quick (we also saw him not moving quickly). But these parents seemed a bit too relaxed with the whole ordeal. It also begged the question why no one else questioned a 5ish year old walking back through the line by themselves.

Anyway, we got on a short while later and the one thing I do like about the carpets, is the view they provide of Adventureland.

View attachment 358057

Including apparently our future home;)

View attachment 358058

View attachment 358059

As chance would have it, by the time we got off the carpets Aladdin and Jasmine weren't back yet, but a line had formed. A very long line.

We got in since we still had about 20-30 minutes left, and realized we were behind a large family. Great, they'll move quick and we'll be through in no time! Right?

Every family "unit" needed to meet seperately. And then they wanted individual pictures with Aladdin and Jasmine. Every. Single. Person. Of a 12 person family. :banghead: And did I mention the youngest was probably 17? I'm all for adults meeting characters, but this was just obnoxious. Especially because it was humid as anything, and we were all sweating like a sinful woman in church. (I don't think that actual phrase is allowed here but it's pretty accurate).

Finally we got there, and C got super chatty with them.

View attachment 358060

View attachment 358061

Jasmine however seemed ... off. She has a certain "holier than thou" attitude, which I thought was maybe part of the character, but I never remember Jasmine being like that in the movie (and Aladdin was my boy back in the day). This Jasmine would NOT have fallen for a street rat.

Case in point:

View attachment 358062

Hug the kid dangit!

Anyway, at this point we were on the verge of our very important date, so we had to rush through the drizzle that was beginning to get to...

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique! This was the big surprise we had in store for C this day, and were so happy that she was actually behaving much better than the night before. I think she really did just need sleep.

After parking the stroller and covering it up, we headed on in.
View attachment 358063

We had an Aurora like that last time we were at Epcot. Kind of snooty, obviously not wanting to be there and have to hug and speak to children. We asked her if they still had Prince Phillip's horse or if they fed him carrots....I remember it had to do with the horse, and she says "It's not MY horse. It belongs to my prince." And she said it in a really condescending way like we were idiots. At least my kids were older and knew that it was just a show, because if they had completely believed in the magic, I think they would have been disappointed that Aurora wasn't very nice.

Spash007

Original Poster
We had an Aurora like that last time we were at Epcot. Kind of snooty, obviously not wanting to be there and have to hug and speak to children. We asked her if they still had Prince Phillip's horse or if they fed him carrots....I remember it had to do with the horse, and she says "It's not MY horse. It belongs to my prince." And she said it in a really condescending way like we were idiots. At least my kids were older and knew that it was just a show, because if they had completely believed in the magic, I think they would have been disappointed that Aurora wasn't very nice.

It's tough because right now the characters a huge part of the experience for us, and it really depends on the people you get. You always know that you'll enjoy certain rides and that the wait will be worth it or not - for characters though, it really is luck of the draw sometimes!

Spash007

Original Poster
I was really hoping to get this TR wrapped up before the little one got here (hence my frantic posts two weeks ago), but someone had different plans! Baby boy is here and doing well, while we're adjusting to life with two kids (it's completely a different ball game this time!)

I have less than 24 hours left of this trip to cover though, so in any free time I will get it done!

krisri18

I was really hoping to get this TR wrapped up before the little one got here (hence my frantic posts two weeks ago), but someone had different plans! Baby boy is here and doing well, while we're adjusting to life with two kids (it's completely a different ball game this time!)

I have less than 24 hours left of this trip to cover though, so in any free time I will get it done!
Congratulations!!!!!

ELeigh

Every family "unit" needed to meet seperately. And then they wanted individual pictures with Aladdin and Jasmine. Every. Single. Person. Of a 12 person family. :banghead: And did I mention the youngest was probably 17? I'm all for adults meeting characters, but this was just obnoxious
We had this happen a couple of years ago while waiting in line to meet Alice with a 1,2 and 3 year old. No judgement for adults wanting the experience but keep the meeting within reason and be courteous of others waiting in line.
Also congratulations on the addition to your family!

Swissmiss

Premium Member

Congrats on the new addition 🙂

aliceismad

Congratulations!

Songbird76

Congratulations!! Take your time...you have more important things to attend to right now. We'll be here waiting when you have time.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

Yay!!!
Boys are awesome! Congrats😎

Spash007

Original Poster
Congratulations!!!!!
We had this happen a couple of years ago while waiting in line to meet Alice with a 1,2 and 3 year old. No judgement for adults wanting the experience but keep the meeting within reason and be courteous of others waiting in line.
Also congratulations on the addition to your family!
Congrats on the new addition 🙂
Congratulations!
Congratulations!! Take your time...you have more important things to attend to right now. We'll be here waiting when you have time.
Yay!!!
Boys are awesome! Congrats😎
Congratulations 🎉
Congratulations!!

Thank you everyone!! :)

Spash007

Original Poster
Let's get back to it, shall we?

Last I left off we were finishing up in the photo studio, and had a few hours to kill before our ADR.

I have to admit - this may be one of my favorite views of the castle.

We decided to slow down a bit. As much as I wanted to head over the Frontierland and get a ride on BTMR or Splash in, I knew I was the only one since K couldn't ride, and C was all dressed up and not in prime wilderness attire. Instead we decided to head over to Tomorrowland.

First though, we stopped for some pictures.

As you can tell, it was very wet at this point. And pretty soon after this picture was taken, the skies opened up. Good thing we were headed to a favorite of K's that was indoors - Carousel of Progress! With the rain, it being near C's nap time, and all of us feeling the wear of the trip, this was perfect timing.

I took 0 pictures at this point because of the rain, as it was still coming down when we exited. We had no plans, so we decided to do another indoor attraction (and one that was new to us) - the Laugh Floor! The stroller parking here was horrendous, but after getting it parked and covered, we headed in.

I'll preface this next part with a realization that it was humid at this point, we were tired, and maybe getting a bit grumpy. But you know what sound I can't stand - wet shoes on linoleum. When it's accidental it doesn't bother me, but there were at least 3 groups of late age teenagers who just kept scuffing their feet to make noise in the holding area. Most stopped after a few minutes, but there was one girl who just kept going. Much to K's chagrin, I decided to make eye contact with this girl until she stopped. I think she finally caught the hint (or just got bored), and silence was restored.

The show was definitely cute and funny. C isn't yet at the age where she understands most jokes, but I think the opportunity to sit in an a/c room was worth it for her. I don't think this is a must do for us on every trip, but it was enjoyable.

As we were exiting, the rain was finally stopping even though the humidity stayed high.

Our tummies started growling, so we headed to grab a snack. I believe C got popcorn, K had a Mickey Pretzel (her first, and a new found love) and a coke slushy for me. The candy coated straw was a bit weird when it started falling apart, but the level of sweetness coupled with the cold drink really hit the spot.

We looked to see if any FPs were available, and sure enough some favorites were, so we made our way to Fantasyland.

First up - meeting Ariel. It seemed silly since we already met her at Trattoria, but to a 4 year old, mermaid Ariel is very different than human Ariel. Especially when C was saying her Christmas wish was to be a mermaid. :p

Spash007

Original Poster
At this point, we definitely saw a difference in C. Even though she skipped her nap, she was clearly in her element, and was soaking up everything. This was something we noticed in our last trip as well - meeting the characters really boosted her social skills and confidence, and whenever people say some kids are "too young" for Disney, that's my first retort.

As we went through the queue for Ariel, we were able to get another FP for Little Mermaid. Even though the wait was only a few minutes anyway.

C led us through the queue.

First her MB issues, and now she waves a la Woody too! @Tuvalu

To continue our efficiency, we were able to score a FP for Dumbo and I was able to cash in on the promise to C from earlier on the week to get back on it.

I do love the view from up here as well.

Once we were off Dumbo we headed to the Big Top. K wanted to get C and her brother matching Mickey hats with their names on them. We also picked up some treats for later - K and C got candy apples, and I got a Rice Krispie Treat with peanut butter chips.

Soon it was time for our 4:15 ADR, so we made our way over to the castle!

We were very much on the fence about booking this ADR. I had seen mixed reviews about dinner there and didn't know if it was worth 2 credits, but we wanted to do a Princess meal and we did Akershus last year. A time spot opened up before our trip, so we took it not sure if we wanted to keep it. As luck would have it, the very next day @Jasmyn posted her stellar review of the dinner, and got my mouth watering!

First up was meeting the main lady herself, who was very flattered to have C be wearing her dress.

Oh the pink hair :rolleyes:

We then went up ... and up.... and up... the stairs to get to the dining room. In hindsight we probably should've taken the elevator. Oops.

We sat off to the side of the dining room in a section that was raised a bit. A seat by the window would have been nice, but the view was still not bad. I do have to say the attention to detail is breathtaking.

We met our server, who at first I thought was a little cold/rude, but then I realized he was actually trying to play the part of castle servant. Once I got used to his personality it was ok.

After placing our orders, they started the announcements about making wishes before the Princesses arrived.

Here's my one complaint - it was loud in there. To the point where we could hardly hear the announcements. I understand it is a character meal - but it also is a signature meal. I don't expect people to be dressed in the 9s here or even to be perfectly behaved. But at least don't be rude. A dad was have an actual sword fight with his kids during some of the Princess announcements, and probably half the restaurant was talking throughout. As much as the restaurant is pretty, this took away a lot from the overall experience.

Before the Princesses got to our table, we got our appetizers.

The Castle Salad for K.

And the Charcuterie for me.

I believe C just had some apple slices.

K really liked her salad, and while I could tell the Charcuterie was good, rich and fresh, but it just wasn't to my taste. I don't know why I order Charcuterie, I normally don't like half the cheeses that are put on them, and always just find it overall not impressive. Again, that's my fault for ordering it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom