Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

This is so ridiculous. Obviously non-smokers came up with this ban. I don’t see what the problem is with having one smoking section. Or how about build a separate secluded indoor room like they have at airports. So I am seriously going to have to leave the park every time I go for a smoke break? Ugh.
Maybe we get a special reentry point??? Lol

ImperfectPixie

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.....

Arguing with Disney rarely works. May 1, 2019? No DSA's. Oh yes, I DO smoke.
There are likely two solutions:

1. Don't go.
  2. Something few people know exist :). A Nicotine Inhaler. Not a Cig, not an ECig, no smoke, no vapor...
https://quicknicmist.com/product/quick-nic-mist/

We've known for YEARS that WDW was going down this path, as they reduced DSA's from 12 to 2 in the MK.
Their announcement is their prerogative - but it is HIGHLY ill-timed. Just coming clean a year in advance of the policy change, instead of (roughly) 30 days, would have allowed people to CHOOSE to go to WDW, or not. Instead? People already booked were denied a choice.

Again, All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.
Thank you for including the link! I had no idea these existed!

dvitali

The company that I work for do not allow smoking in your own CAR while it park in the company parking lot. Imagine Disney do not allow smoking in your car while it park at the ticket and transportation Center. My company also divided the coat closet between smokers and non smokers.

dreamfinder912

I'll continue to use my vape pen.

So will many others.

This will just spread it all around the parks b/c a whole lot of the cartridges are concentrated enough now that it takes very little vapor to get the desired affect.

It will probably get rid of cigarettes, though, b/c that'd be next to impossible to hide in plain sight. But, I could use that vape pen all day and no one would ever notice....or ever has noticed....if I wasn't in a designated area.

It may just be that people noticed but didn't want to do anything more than get away from you. It isn't their job to police your behavior, but that doesn't mean people don't take notice and aren't bothered.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
This statement right here, shows why so many non smokers hate smokers. Because your addiction takes precedence over everyone else's health and the attitude that you will do whatever you want no matter how it affects others. Non smokers do not hate you on a personal level. They hate having to smell and inhale cigarette smoke. We all know how horrible smoking is for a person and we also know that if it did not bring the government so much money, they would have banned them years ago on health basis, just like other cancer causing chemicals. Frankly I am shocked that anyone under the age of 50 even smokes knowing what they do about how bad they are for you. If someone gave you a pill and told you all of the additives and cancer causing chemicals that were in it and told you that if you take this pill and it will do everything that smoking does to you, no one would take it. Smoking is no different then any other drug, if you don't want to become addicted to it, then don't even start. I doubt someone put a gun to your head to make you start smoking.
Don't tell me what to do, I know it's bad, bUT it's my choice. I go to the corner out of everyone's way and not around children in the designated areas. As someone who follows the rules, I don't appreciate being shamed for a choice I make that isn't harming anyone but me.

Yert3

Don't tell me what to do, I know it's bad, bUT it's my choice. I go to the corner out of everyone's way and not around children in the designated areas. As someone who follows the rules, I don't appreciate being shamed for a choice I make that isn't harming anyone but me.
Exactly. People blow second hand smoke way out of proportion. Indoors they have a very valid point, but you’re not going to get cancer from getting a few whiffs of a cigarette for a minute or two while you’re on the steamboat passing the smoking section in Frontierland. I’m sorry, but you’re not.

aliceismad

Their announcement is their prerogative - but it is HIGHLY ill-timed. Just coming clean a year in advance of the policy change, instead of (roughly) 30 days, would have allowed people to CHOOSE to go to WDW, or not. Instead? People already booked were denied a choice.
The timing is quick, but I'm guessing they want all these new policies in place and the CMs accustomed to it before Star Wars? The rules are for both WDW and DLR. I assume they're expecting SW:GE to draw new guests who have no previous park experiences.

ETA: Downtown Disney in California is also included in this. But Disney Springs hasn't been mentioned in any stories I've seen, which is interesting.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

The timing is quick, but I'm guessing they want all these new policies in place and the CMs accustomed to it before Star Wars? The rules are for both WDW and DLR. I assume they're expecting SW:GE to draw new guests who have no previous park experiences.
Wellll? How long has SW been under construction? Seriously, a May 2018 announcement, regarding May 2019, would have allowed people to make a choice :(. WDW didn't do that. Our poor European neighbors :(.

Patcheslee

Exactly. People blow second hand smoke way out of proportion. Indoors they have a very valid point, but you’re not going to get cancer from getting a few whiffs of a cigarette for a minute or two while you’re on the steamboat passing the smoking section in Frontierland. I’m sorry, but you’re not.
I can see more concentrations of smokers will cause it to disperse at a further radius, but that would go against the logic of compacting ppl to a single point at each park. So in essence cutting the DSAs worked against Disney in that aspect.

dreamfinder912

Being that neither of those are illegal, or a safety issue (with additional legalities) like guns and knives - there's no legal basis for confiscating them. Can they not let you into the park? Sure. But why have an area outside of the park to smoke at all, then? And what about people staying at resorts on property - or worse, off-property? Will lockers be provided outside of the parks? No, none of that will work. More importantly, these people won't be in the parks, spending money.

It's going to be up to the $15/hour worker. 🤷‍♂️

The legal basis of a "dangerous" item isn't needed though of course the argument could be made. Disney is private property. You agree to play by their rules by entering their property. And I know they won't ban the products, I was simply offering my opinion on how to save the CMs the trouble of that "oh gee do I risk getting screamed/spit at to do my job with this person smoking right now" inner debate. IF Disney had chosen this route it would be as simple as any other prohibited item.

christine7257

ETA: Downtown Disney in California is also included in this. But Disney Springs hasn't been mentioned in any stories I've seen, which is interesting.

The parks blog update indicates there will still be designated areas at Disney Springs and the resorts.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
31 pages in 12 hours, nice!

Not too many of the "well I'll never go there" again. Plenty of "the nerve of them"

So if you really want to get back at the man, the path is clearly outlined: Short Shorts, offensive t-shirt, cooler of beer on ice in a Keenz Maxi parade float wagon towed by an ECV with your emotional support pony trotting along side.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
31 pages in 12 hours, nice!

Not too many of the "well I'll never go there" again. Plenty of "the nerve of them"

So if you really want to get back at the man, the path is clearly outlined: Short Shorts, offensive t-shirt, cooler of beer on ice in a Keenz Maxi parade float wagon towed by an ECV with your emotional support pony trotting along side.
While vaping with a no odor vape pen;)

DisneyDebRob

I'm new, this is my first post
First, I have to say; For the most part, people are being very kind on this forum, and understanding. I registered to say that.
Second, I'm one of those medicinal smokers that you wrote about. When I was a little girl, my family had no money for medicine, so they used the old folk medicine ways, and for asthma, it was smoking, because it relaxed the throat so one could breathe. They did the best they could.
I do smoke, but not in theme parks- not by choice, but by chance. I think the adrenaline of the rides and experiences takes the place of the smoking. I have two emergency cigarettes with me at the local park I attend, and often leave the park at the end of the day with the same two cigarettes.
Third:
I just wrote this to thank all the people that have kind in their comments towards people who smoke.
My mother is overweight, but she loves her desserts. It's bad for her, I know, but I can't be hateful or condescending to her. She's not a second class citizen for not being the idea weight.

I was planning on going to WDW for my 25th anniversary, so I still have time to see how this will work out, and what will be ironed out, as new rules take some time to correct the straggly ends.
Welcome! Congrats on a very well written first post. Enjoy your stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom